new boys coach at CAK

winnersrus

Big mistake by Wells. Your leaving the best returning talent in the district to go to the lowest private basketball school in Knoxville. He should of applied for Grace, or waited a year and rode Tyler Hood to a bigger coaching position. Shane better stay there for a while, he already has a reputation for staying somewhere 2/3 years and leaving his players hanging.

If LC has any common sense they will offer the position to Coach Stewart. He knows his stuff, and will go above and beyond to help his players succeed on the court and in life. Another person they might want to look at is the Asst Coach for Eldridge at Murville. I heard he was interested last time, but was edged out by Wells.

I believe the asst baseball coach is Coach Lee who coaches girls basketball. The head baseball coach if I am not mistaken is his son-in-law. Several sports need an overhaul at LC, but there is too much of the good ole boy syndrome going on to make that happen.

I hope you are doing well! Your picture brought back memories. I watched you play back when Thompson-B Arena first opened in 88'. You could jump out of the gym. I thought when Indiana drafted you that the NBA game was suited for you. You will always be one of the best in U.T. history.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been a great deal said about CAK recently regarding the boys basketball situation. I believe CAK is making tough, but good, decisions regarding their program. There seems to be a renewed dedication to improving all aspects of their athletic programs. Any time changes are made some people are going to be upset, and some are going to be happy. The final word on those decisions ultimatley comes from results, and that can take several years to evaluate. CAK has to hire very good coaches in order to be competitive because they simply do not have enough quality athletes to chose from. Enrollment is just over 400, yet they compete with schools who have 3 times that enrollment. It sounds like Coach Wells is a strong hire for CAK.

Motivation to change jobs usually involves a multitude of issues. In coaching, it can be as simple as money, or it can be as complex as family, beliefs, exposure, environment, tradition, support, challenge, etc.. the list could go on and on. CAK boys basketball has not been very competitive for the past few seasons, so I could see how the perception could be that it would not be a could place to coach. However; I believe the CAK job to be very attractive and a great job for Coach Wells. The school received over 50 applications for the job. So to say it is a bad job is certainly not the opinion of many other qualified coaches. As far as talent goes, the CAK varsity team this year was virtually a JV team. Only 2 Jrs. on the team, with Sophomores and Freshman commanding the majority of the playing time. Late in the year they were competitive and should be a nice squad next season. So while Coach Wells won't have the team he would have had in Lenoir City, he will have some nice young basketball players to work with.

Well stated FBD. I am excited about Coach Wells. He sounds like a great up and coming coach who wants to be at CAK for all the right reasons. I am optimistic that CAK has a quality coach who is also a quality person and role model. With over 50 applications (I have heard that many were very attractive applicants), CAK had the opportunity to select the very best fit for our program. I believe that Coach Wells will do everything that needs to be done both on the court and off to give our team the best opportunity to be the best they can be, however good that is.

Coach Wells will inherit a team primarily made up of this years sophomores and freshmen that IMO have a lot of potential. They were far better by the end of the season than at the beginning, and I believe the large amount of playing time they got this year will pay divedends. Despite what some have said, I think Coach Wells will also be impressed with the support he gets from the families of the athletes. I believe he will have a team full of players whose parents will make sure that their kids are doing what he asks of them, from practice, to individual work, to the classroom, nutrition, etc. All things being equal, I'll take parents being interested and involved over disinterested parents any day.

Welcome Coach! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Well stated FBD. I am excited about Coach Wells. He sounds like a great up and coming coach who wants to be at CAK for all the right reasons. I am optimistic that CAK has a quality coach who is also a quality person and role model. With over 50 applications (I have heard that many were very attractive applicants), CAK had the opportunity to select the very best fit for our program. I believe that Coach Wells will do everything that needs to be done both on the court and off to give our team the best opportunity to be the best they can be, however good that is.

Coach Wells will inherit a team primarily made up of this years sophomores and freshmen that IMO have a lot of potential. They were far better by the end of the season than at the beginning, and I believe the large amount of playing time they got this year will pay divedends. Despite what some have said, I think Coach Wells will also be impressed with the support he gets from the families of the athletes. I believe he will have a team full of players whose parents will make sure that their kids are doing what he asks of them, from practice, to individual work, to the classroom, nutrition, etc. All things being equal, I'll take parents being interested and involved over disinterested parents any day.

Welcome Coach! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

CAK is getting an excellent coach. What he has done at Lenoir City and Loudon over the past 4 years are remarkable. He knows the game of basketball and is an extremely good coach. More than that, he is just as good a person as he is a coach. It would be hard to find anyone with the morals and character of Coach Wells. Should be a good fit for CAK. Hate to see him leave LC, but wish him the best of luck.

CAK is getting an excellent coach. What he has done at Lenoir City and Loudon over the past 4 years are remarkable. He knows the game of basketball and is an extremely good coach. More than that, he is just as good a person as he is a coach. It would be hard to find anyone with the morals and character of Coach Wells. Should be a good fit for CAK. Hate to see him leave LC, but wish him the best of luck.

2 and done at Loudon.....then 2 and done at LC

I wonder where the greener pasture will be in 2011?

2 and done at Loudon.....then 2 and done at LC

I wonder where the greener pasture will be in 2011?

Say what you want about Coach Wells moving every two years. The fact of the matter is that he is a class guy and a great coach. I think that you will agree with me when I say a combination like that is extremely rare in today's coaches. That being said more schools are going to go after a guy like Coach Wells than they would your average coach. Everywhere he has gone he has been a major upgrade. When he took over at Loudon he inherited a bad situation and turned them into a winner. At Lenoir City he took over a disasterous set of circumstances left by the previous coach and had tremendous success. If I were an principal/AD I would go after him to. I suspect that this will be his last stop.

coach wells wont win at cak. sure he could go 33-0 and run a perfect season, win state titles, even national titles, establish the next oak hill, get sponsored by nike, get televised espn games, take cak and have them try out for the 2012 olympic squad BUT some parents will have a problem with it somewhere and if its the parents who are high up on the CAK food chain, i.e. Duncan, Scott, Hammaker, etc. then bye bye wells.

Anyways since this whole classification things gonna be fixed cak would win more games even if the players coached themselves

I thought it was a shame what CAK did to Coach Darden, but they made a great hire in Coach Wells. I've known Shane a long time and he is an outstanding coach, teacher and even better person. Good luck next season coach. For the LC fans, in my opinion, Coach Williams did a good job laying the foundation for your program, especially when you guys first moved to AAA. Please don't criticize the man.

Classy post, and good to hear strong comments about his character as well as his ability as a BB coach. I can't wait for next season to see the fingerprints he puts on this group of very good kids.

I will be pulling for LC to bring in the best coach to pick up with the fine program Coach Wells leaves behind. The LC program is clearly better off from his tenure there. I also hope that the administration makes it a point to get someone of Coach Wells character. We all know there is alot more than just basketball that these coaches have an effect on with the kids.

I will be pulling for LC to bring in the best coach to pick up with the fine program Coach Wells leaves behind. The LC program is clearly better off from his tenure there. I also hope that the administration makes it a point to get someone of Coach Wells character. We all know there is alot more than just basketball that these coaches have an effect on with the kids.

I hope LC can bring in a good coach, but it will be hard for a seasoned coach to go there unless he has ties already in place. LC doesn't pay all that well, and there isn't the best foundation for basketball past next year. They need to bring in someone that knows these kids, and that will be there for a while.

I previously said Coach Stewart b/c he works harder then anyone I have seen and the players want to play for him. He also is a class act like Wells.

The other assistant Kirkland who coaches freshman would probably not be the best fit do the fact he gets a little overwelmed which leads to him getting a lot of technicals. He would probably not have the character factor that Wells brings, but I have been proven wrong before.

Also, a good candidate would be Coach Windell (Not sure if thats spelled right) but he probably burned too many bridges when he left LC.