Help with a call

dcsoftball

Remeber with the play at the plate the catcher cannot block the plate without the ball he has to give the runner the ENITRE plate and this is a touchy thing as to the ball beating the block and such but no base or plate can be blocked without the ball. a runner cannot lower his shoulder there is a differrence in a good legal slide that is a hit as opposed to a HIT and trying to run over the catcher

I saw that this year too. We were playing a JV game after a regular game and the catcher was blocking the plate with the ball and the runner (who was much bigger) plowed him, and knocked him down hit his head on the ground, but he did hold on to the ball. He had two steps before the contact as well.

I have seen the pop up slide into a fielder too. That will hurt someone as it happened to mine and he got a severely twisted ankle out of it.

If you don't "have" to slide how can they call interference if it doesn't impede the play? Seems something that could be simpler but isn't.

By the way thanks for the input on the rules.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Remeber with the play at the plate the catcher cannot block the plate without the ball he has to give the runner the ENITRE plate and this is a touchy thing as to the ball beating the block and such but no base or plate can be blocked without the ball. a runner cannot lower his shoulder there is a differrence in a good legal slide that is a hit as opposed to a HIT and trying to run over the catcher

Entire ???

Fed rulebook states that defensive player must provide access to the base, does not use the word "entire" or any other word to describe what type of access, just "access".

Okay, so R1 is stealing second and F6 is waiting for the throw from F2. F6 has his foot in front of 3" of the 15" wide base and R1 slides into his foot. F6 then catches ball and applies tag to R1.

You are ruling obstruction on F6?

...and I absolutely understand and respect that you shall apply the rules per your camp instructors.

I guess I just answered my own question.

However,I do not agree with how your instructors have interpreted this, but then again, the Fed rulebook is not the most easily interpreted piece of literary work.

Okay, so R1 is stealing second and F6 is waiting for the throw from F2. F6 has his foot in front of 3" of the 15" wide base and R1 slides into his foot. F6 then catches ball and applies tag to R1.

...and I absolutely understand and respect that you shall apply the rules per your camp instructors.

However,I do not agree with how your instructors have interpreted this, but then again, the Fed rulebook is not the most easily interpreted piece of literary work.

I think you just nailed it brother. Maybe somebody will change some wording in the fed rulebook because it's gets awfully complicated and then leaves some things open to interpretation. That might help the our supervisor says this and your camp instructor said that . . .

If he blocked the bag preventing him to get to it without the ball the runner is safe now if he catches and then tags he is ok and that is where a gray line can occur is when and if he blocked the bag with or without the ball. I think a better example we had last night the catcher blocked the plate all night without the ball there was nothing to call there because the runner was safe but it could have been an issue if he stops the runner from touching the plate and then he gets the ball coaches will be mad over that

I think you just nailed it brother. Maybe somebody will change some wording in the fed rulebook because it's gets awfully complicated and then leaves some things open to interpretation. That might help the our supervisor says this and your camp instructor said that . . .

when i get home i will find my rule book it really is easier than having more than half or allowing the runner the corner. I think this way is easier you cannot block any base without the ball the judgement is if he had the ball at the time of the blocking

they instructed us in camp they must have entire. they cannot block ANY part of the base or plate without the ball

We were told by the head of baseball officiating (I know you know who told us) at our State meeting in January, that as long as the runner was given access to part of the base, be it the front, back, or side, that we were not to call obstruction.

I truly believe that was good instruction as far as making it easier for us to make the obstruction call.

JMHO, however.

We were told by the head of baseball officiating (I know you know who told us) at our State meeting in January, that as long as the runner was given access to part of the base, be it the front, back, or side, that we were not to call obstruction.

I truly believe that was good instruction as far as making it easier for us to make the obstruction call.

JMHO, however.

I always thought it was "if he can see the base, he can get to a piece of the base" - kind of like the old rule of runner gets right side of first and first baseman gets the left side /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Lets check out NFHS Baseball Casebook page 70

Situation L

R1 is advancing on the pitch and F6 drops to a knee while taking the throw, partially blocking the inside of the base. R1 slides to the inside edge of the base, contacts F6's knee, and is then tagged out. The head coach argues that this is obstruction.

Ruling:

This is not obstruction as F6 did provide access to part of second base, even though it was not the part of the base that R1 wanted or believed was most advantageous.