Volunteer Falcons 2009

I was glad to see some football this morning, even though it was in the pouring rain with poor field conditions.

Most importantly I was glad to see the fight and heart that Volunteer had, it was more then I saw from the boys all of last season. This team is already coming together. Especially Devin and Luke seem to be a good connection. Especially the pitch from Luke to Devin that got Volunteer in the endzone.

One of the standouts I saw was Kenny Williams, he was big on both sides of the ball for the Falcons today.

Unicoi seemed a little redneck to me :lol: , like they came more to fight then play football. #2 was really dirty tackling Devin out of the endzone into the gravel, and then trying to pick fights with other players later on.

Everything will come together for the Falcons when the season comes around. Just a couple of small things will need to be worked on, but improvement will happen we have a few more weeks.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was glad to see some football this morning, even though it was in the pouring rain with poor field conditions.

Most importantly I was glad to see the fight and heart that Volunteer had, it was more then I saw from the boys all of last season. This team is already coming together. Especially Devin and Luke seem to be a good connection. Especially the pitch from Luke to Devin that got Volunteer in the endzone.

One of the standouts I saw was Kenny Williams, he was big on both sides of the ball for the Falcons today.

Unicoi seemed a little redneck to me :lol: , like they came more to fight then play football. #2 was really dirty tackling Devin out of the endzone into the gravel, and then trying to pick fights with other players later on.

Everything will come together for the Falcons when the season comes around. Just a couple of small things will need to be worked on, but improvement will happen we have a few more weeks.

Wow! Volunteer got "out rednecked" Thats a first. :lol:

Its never ceases to amaze me how what a freaking idiot you are on here! Why dont you go and spew your adolescent remarks on another board where someone else might actually appreciate listening to the biggest "MORON" on here. You are pathetic, weak minded and your views on here about HS sports are truly MORONIC. GO away IDIOT!

Its never ceases to amaze me how what a freaking idiot you are on here! Why dont you go and spew your adolescent remarks on another board where someone else might actually appreciate listening to the biggest "MORON" on here. You are pathetic, weak minded and your views on here about HS sports are truly MORONIC. GO away IDIOT!

No wonder you guys got "out rednecked" Is that the best you can do? I think you and I should have a "Beer Summit" I'll get a couple Pabst Blue Ribbons and give you a call when I get time Prof. Gates. :lol:

Don't be disappointed Waco....we still have plenty of "Redneck" to go around. It usually takes until the middle of basketball season to polish it into perfection. :roflolk:

Good to see you yesterday VHSFalcon. Didn't get to talk to you much. Are you going to Greeneville next week? I think it starts at 7 PM ( 8/7) if I am not mistaken.

Greeneville fired their coach after last season--something about the principal not liking him. His replacement has been there for a few years as an assistant and will keep things pretty much the same, plus they have a ton of talent coming back, but the administration there has cut back some of their support for football. It remains to be seen how that'll affect them this year.

How are the lines shaping up for Volunteer this year? They've got some talent at the skill positions but if the OL doesn't play a lot better than last year it's going to be a tough season.

First off great turn out tonight by the Falcons Fans.

Now onto what I saw tonight.

I sure hope the defense plans on working their butts off this week as Greeneville ran at will on them, it seemed like nobody has been taught how to wrap up on a tackle. I saw way too many defenders bouncing off of G-ville players.

As for the Offense it just doesn't seem like the spread formation is what we should be running, we need to run our main offense from a formation with Luke under center, 2 Tight Ends and a Fullback blocking. Allowing Devin to establish a running game will open up the passing game for Luke. It sure is hard to get a running game going, when you run the spread from the start of the game and go 3 and out.

Another reason to move towards a formation with 2 Tight End, Fullback and Running back is because we need as much blocking as we can get, spreading the team out leaves so much room for everyone to blitz us and put pressure on Luke, so keep the tight ends in to block< as well as a fullback and that is three more people to protect Luke.

Also any extra blocking will allow Devin to get out of the back field and when he gets into the open field he is just so dangerous as you saw tonight on his 75 yard Td run, when he used his skills to get by defenders and take it to the house.

Also why do we try to run the reverse so many times? It works the first time then once everyone sees the motion they know what is going to happen and they shut it down.

I really hope we can learn alot from tonight and use it to our advantage in the next couple of weeks to get ready for Betsy. I want to see the Falcons have a great season this year.

First off great turn out tonight by the Falcons Fans.

Now onto what I saw tonight.

I sure hope the defense plans on working their butts off this week as Greeneville ran at will on them, it seemed like nobody has been taught how to wrap up on a tackle. I saw way too many defenders bouncing off of G-ville players.

As for the Offense it just doesn't seem like the spread formation is what we should be running, we need to run our main offense from a formation with Luke under center, 2 Tight Ends and a Fullback blocking. Allowing Devin to establish a running game will open up the passing game for Luke. It sure is hard to get a running game going, when you run the spread from the start of the game and go 3 and out.

Another reason to move towards a formation with 2 Tight End, Fullback and Running back is because we need as much blocking as we can get, spreading the team out leaves so much room for everyone to blitz us and put pressure on Luke, so keep the tight ends in to block< as well as a fullback and that is three more people to protect Luke.

Also any extra blocking will allow Devin to get out of the back field and when he gets into the open field he is just so dangerous as you saw tonight on his 75 yard Td run, when he used his skills to get by defenders and take it to the house.

Also why do we try to run the reverse so many times? It works the first time then once everyone sees the motion they know what is going to happen and they shut it down.

I really hope we can learn alot from tonight and use it to our advantage in the next couple of weeks to get ready for Betsy. I want to see the Falcons have a great season this year.

I wish I could've seen the scrimmage. Devin's got a load of talent and a bright future ahead of him.

Now, I'm not coaching there, but I'm thinking that the "reverse" you're referring to is what most teams call "Jet Sweep." It's where the WR goes in motion and gets a handoff right behind the QB while he's moving, right? I've always wondered why Volunteer runs it so much, but a lot of teams--especially spread teams-- use it as the base play in their offense to set everything else up. They see it as a cheap and easy way to get the ball to one of their fastest players when he's already running full speed while everyone else is still standing around flat footed. They see it as forcing the defense to respect the outside run first, then they'll work back to the inside with a counter to the other side, a handoff right underneath that DE and OLB who've hopefully jumped the fake, etc. That's the theory, at least.

The only thing about the Jet is that in order for it to be effective you really need a lead blocker to seal that OLB or S or that guy will just step up and easily kill the play. This is a play that works great in spread offenses because you've got another slot receiver there to block down on that OLB/S, but I've seen the Falcons run it a lot from the I formation without that blocker there and it never gets anywhere. I also don't think I've ever seen them fake to the motion man and then run underneath him to the same side, so that takes away a big part of the play's effectiveness. Maybe 1 out of 10 times it works and the WR rips off a big run, but the other 90% of the time it's a wasted play.

I'm really suspicious of a lot of teams out there going to some kind of spread. Everybody now thinks that if they start the field they'll turn into an offensive juggernaut, but that only works if they have enough of a passing offense to keep the defense from stacking the box. If an offense isn't scaring a defense like that, they'll just man up on all those WRs and put 7 in the box vs. your 5 or 6 blockers and play "hit the man with the football." It's not like the old days, when spread offenses were something unusual and defenses didn't know how to play 'em. When everybody does it, you've got to do it better than everyone else or find something else to do.

Personally, I think with the talent Volunteer has, they'd do well to just focus on a very small handful of things they can do well and stick to it. Design an offense around 2 or 3 plays they know backward and forward, put in a few that compliment/work off them really well ("when the defense does this, we do that" sort of stuff). They always try to throw the ball too much without getting good at it first.