Oak Ridge Job

HOOPSGURU

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very interesting question, hopalot. Does anyone have the correct answer?

Todd Wright left to become my assistant at Oliver Springs High School. I told him we were a lock to get to the state tournament and he made the move. I am sure he felt also that he would have a better chance of becoming a head coach quicker at OSHS. This turned out to be true as he was named head girls coach the next year after his one year stint with myself. I left to William Blount, he took over the girls program, had a successful 4 or so years then went to Roane St where he was successful and then just went to Maryville College last year. They were perfect in conference last year. He enjoys it there but pay of course is always going to be an issue when you are coaching at small colleges like that. Todd Wright will win and has worked with Chuck so he has an in. I think he is in the top 2 or 3 for the job without a doubt. He is interested and I assume an interview will come soon.

HA HA! You get my point. I understand that OR wants to make a big splash but it is important for them to hire a coach that will be there longterm. That is why a young coach might be in their best interest. What do you think about Coach Jones?

You must be a member of the OS family? Is Wright interested in the job? He would be a tremendous fit.

I am from OS, but I'm also a really good friend of Todd's. I think there's a lot of reasons why he'd be interested in the job. I'm sure he'll have his day to interview for it.

If I were him, I'd be interested in talking about the job with the AD. I think it'd be a tough decision to make though. Sometimes going home can be tough even though I believe he'd do a great job. I think he'll have a good D-2 job soon if he keeps on his current pace. The pay of a good D-2 job and the ORHS job should be pretty close. If that's the case, I'd rather coach college ball ,have more free time, not have to teach classes, or deal with parents. That's just me though. Todd loves everything about Oak Ridge , so who knows. I will say this, if Todd got that job, I believe he'd be there until the day he retires. He's probably the best fit of the names I've heard tossed around.

What do you think etcoach? What would you do? If you were coach at Maryville College, would you give it up to return to William Bount to coach and teach (Assuming you actually liked being a head coach and liked the pay increase). Let's assume that no media positions are available and that the income from that doesn't exist.

Who is Coach Stewart??

He is a young energetic assistant coach that was at LC, and is probably going to CAK with Wells. His name is brought up because he has many connections in the Oak Ridge/OS area. He would be a great hire for any team, but OR is probably wanting to bring in a big name. Stewart would also be a good hire b/c he coaches an AAU team that has 1 current and 2 future basketball studs from ORHS. One of those future studs is leaning to go somewhere else, but would definitely stay if Stewart was hired.

He is a young energetic assistant coach that was at LC, and is probably going to CAK with Wells. His name is brought up because he has many connections in the Oak Ridge/OS area. He would be a great hire for any team, but OR is probably wanting to bring in a big name. Stewart would also be a good hire b/c he coaches an AAU team that has 1 current and 2 future basketball studs from ORHS. One of those future studs is leaning to go somewhere else, but would definitely stay if Stewart was hired.

I can assure you Oak Ridge will not hire a guy just because he coaches an AAU team with one or two future Oak Ridge players. Give me a break. Stewart would not be a good hire for Oak Ridge! To be honest, I have never heard of the guy.

I am from OS, but I'm also a really good friend of Todd's. I think there's a lot of reasons why he'd be interested in the job. I'm sure he'll have his day to interview for it.

If I were him, I'd be interested in talking about the job with the AD. I think it'd be a tough decision to make though. Sometimes going home can be tough even though I believe he'd do a great job. I think he'll have a good D-2 job soon if he keeps on his current pace. The pay of a good D-2 job and the ORHS job should be pretty close. If that's the case, I'd rather coach college ball ,have more free time, not have to teach classes, or deal with parents. That's just me though. Todd loves everything about Oak Ridge , so who knows. I will say this, if Todd got that job, I believe he'd be there until the day he retires. He's probably the best fit of the names I've heard tossed around.

What do you think etcoach? What would you do? If you were coach at Maryville College, would you give it up to return to William Bount to coach and teach (Assuming you actually liked being a head coach and liked the pay increase). Let's assume that no media positions are available and that the income from that doesn't exist.

How can you say a guy is the best fit for a job, and he does not have any head boys coaching experience at the high school or college level. I've said this before and I will say it again....it will be a little different coaching Oak Ridge boys compared to Maryville College (Girls), Roane State (Girls), and Oliver Springs (Girls). Its a totally different animal....regardless of what you say.

Also, how can you say that one would have more free time coaching at the college level? Are you serious? Everyone knows that college coaching (at any level) takes up more time than coaching in high school.

How do we know that Wright left Oak Ridge on good terms anyway. Seems fishy that he would leave oak ridge for an oliver springs assistant position? Just a thought......

Gimme a break! LOL!

Gimme a break! LOL!

Kind of an inconsiderate comment to make about a young coach trying his best to get experience. I said he would be a good hire because I personally know him, and know what he would bring to the table. I did say that I thought Oak Ridge would not hire him, and they would make a bigger splash then that.

Since your so smart and want to put coaches down, who would you like to see hired?

Gimme a break! LOL!

I must agree with Breakers. A young inexperienced assistant coach needs to cut his teeth at a Sunbright or another single A school. It's nice to have dreams but let's be serious here. Oak Ridge would rather lose players instead of compromising their integrity which is what you are suggesting Dyron.

I must agree with Breakers. A young inexperienced assistant coach needs to cut his teeth at a Sunbright or another single A school. It's nice to have dreams but let's be serious here. Oak Ridge would rather lose players instead of compromising their integrity which is what you are suggesting Dyron.

Oak Ridges Integrity???????? Thats hilarious, I didn't know they had any. Just imagine Oak Ridge used to be a program that people were intimidated by, and now they are a program scrambling to find a coach. What a shame. I hope they can bring back both basketball and football to that intimidating level.