Oak Ridge Job

HOOPSGURU

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agree 100%. He will do a fantastic job!

I must disagree TOTALLY. What has he done at Cumberland Co. and Stone Memorial over the last ten years? Plus, coaching at Oak Ridge is just a little different than the environment he is used to at Cumberland and Stone Memorial. I can't see Oak Ridge making that move, especially after the splash they made in getting Blade from Hillsboro. I feel they can do A LOT better.

There will always be people upset with the hire. You have obviously not seen this guy coach. He is an excellent coach, and that was shown by usually having less talent in their district over the past couple of years and still competing and beating the top teams in that district.

Will he get it done at OR, we will have to wait and see. I feel the biggest adjustment will be learning to handle the personalities in the community of OR. /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Good Luck to Coach Buck.

Is this official?

I don't think so. I doubt anyone in OR could keep this rumor so quiet. He is a good coach though. OR would be lucky to get him from a coaching standpoint, but I'm not sure if he will be able to relate to the kids at OR. Cumberland County is awfully different from OR.

There will always be people upset with the hire. You have obviously not seen this guy coach. He is an excellent coach, and that was shown by usually having less talent in their district over the past couple of years and still competing and beating the top teams in that district.

Will he get it done at OR, we will have to wait and see. I feel the biggest adjustment will be learning to handle the personalities in the community of OR. /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Good Luck to Coach Buck.

I have seen him coach...not impressed!

If Im not mistaken, this is the first year that Stone has won the district, and the district was down considerbly from years past. I wouldn't even consider that a strong district. How did they do in the region...think they lost in the semi-finals? Yes, they had a good year, but lets not jump to conclusions. Simply winning the district is not the standard that Oak Ridge has set!

Look at his body of work over the last 15 years. At Cumberland Co. he struggled to win there year in and year out. At the time, it was a very large school (over 2,000 students?). Their are several coaches in the area that compete and beat some of the top teams in their district. I wouldn't say that qualifies them for one of the better jobs in the state!

A guy that has been in Crossville for 15 years is not prepared to handle the Oak Ridge job. Nothing against the guy, but he would be a terrible hire!

If Im not mistaken, this is the first year that Stone has won the district, and the district was down considerbly from years past. I wouldn't even consider that a strong district. How did they do in the region...think they lost in the semi-finals? Yes, they had a good year, but lets not jump to conclusions. Simply winning the district is not the standard that Oak Ridge has set!

Look at his body of work over the last 15 years. At Cumberland Co. he struggled to win there year in and year out. At the time, it was a very large school (over 2,000 students?). Their are several coaches in the area that compete and beat some of the top teams in their district. I wouldn't say that qualifies them for one of the better jobs in the state!

A guy that has been in Crossville for 15 years is not prepared to handle the Oak Ridge job. Nothing against the guy, but he would be a terrible hire!

I just wonder how many coaches Oak Ridge could realistically hire that have won a state championship besides Coach Buck. That to me is a huge accomplishment at any level. The man can coach, but I do not think it is official or even a done deal for that matter at this point.

Good Insight! What a tool! If OR can get him, hire him! Watched him for years with less talented kids and have a chance to win most of the times. Never will forget the way he handled himself during a summer camp at OR against Maryville and Coach Nelson who thought Lee Humphrey was getting roughed up during the game! Class act!!!

I just wonder how many coaches Oak Ridge could realistically hire that have won a state championship besides Coach Buck. That to me is a huge accomplishment at any level. The man can coach, but I do not think it is official or even a done deal for that matter at this point.

Winning a state championship at Pickett County (Single A) 15 years ago does not make him a lock for the job. I can name several coaches that have state championships on their resume that are not very good coaches. I also think there are other coaches that have applied for the job that have won state championships (dont know that for sure). Ask yourself this, if Buck is such a great coach/hire WHY IS HE STILL AT STONE MEMORIAL? I'm sure he has tried to get other jobs in the past. Someone told me he has been trying to get out of crossville for years, and now all of the sudden he is the leading candidate for the Oak Ridge job. I don't see it

Good Insight! What a tool! If OR can get him, hire him! Watched him for years with less talented kids and have a chance to win most of the times. Never will forget the way he handled himself during a summer camp at OR against Maryville and Coach Nelson who thought Lee Humphrey was getting roughed up during the game! Class act!!!

So your saying Oak Ridge should hire this guy because he has coached "less talented kids" and "had a chance to win most of the time" Did you really just post that? I'm sure that would convince the OR community that he is the right guy

There are a ton of coaches that get a lot out of their players not sure that makes them a candidate for this job.

Coach Buck is an outstanding coach and an even better person....If you had a clue what his peers think about him you would understand that...He is one of the most respected coaches in East Tennessee...Yes coaching lesser talent to success validates the reasoning behind him being a good hire...He is as good of a coach as there is around...You will see when he has studs to work with...He also like, Norris won't play politics and he will have discipline....Something Oak Ridge will need...