Oak Ridge Job

HOOPSGURU

Coach Buck is an outstanding coach and an even better person....If you had a clue what his peers think about him you would understand that...He is one of the most respected coaches in East Tennessee...Yes coaching lesser talent to success validates the reasoning behind him being a good hire...He is as good of a coach as there is around...You will see when he has studs to work with...He also like, Norris won't play politics and he will have discipline....Something Oak Ridge will need...

Agree 100%! Enough said!

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is his Morehead State bio.

Barry Wortman, an individual with experience as a successful high school coach and as a NCAA Division I assistant, is entering his third season at MSU.

Wortman spent the last eight seasons as the head coach at LaVergne High School, LaVergne, Tenn. There, he built a program that went from winning only three games to becoming a consistent 20-game winner. His teams won two district tournament championships in a tough Class AAA district, and he was named district and area coach of the year in 2003-04.

"We are very fortunate to have Barry Wortman join our staff," Tyndall said. "I have gotten to know Barry very well over the last four years, and I know that he has a true passion for the game of basketball and for working with young men.

"In my opinion, Barry was one of the best high school coaches in the state of Tennessee. His teams were always well-prepared and played with a tremendous amount of energy and toughness which resulted in great records year in and year out."

Prior to his tenure at LaVergne, Wortman served an head coach at three other Tennessee high schools, Lincoln County, Hickman County and Shelbyville Central. At Hickman County, he won a Class AA state championship and was a two-time state coach of the year.

"I'm thrilled and exited to be a part of the basketball staff at Morehead State University," Wortman said. The opportunity to work for Coach Tyndall, who I respect both personally and professionally, means a great deal to me and my family. I look forward to getting started and to becoming a part of the community."

Barry also has Division I experience, having been an assistant coach at Tennessee State for Ron Abernathy. "Having spent time in the Ohio Valley Conference, he understands the competitiveness of the league and what it takes to win at this level.

"I'm very excited about the addition of Barry to our staff, not only because he is an outstanding basketball coach, but also because he is a character guy who our players will look up to. The community will love getting to know him and his family."

Barry has a son, Austin.

He earned a bachelor's degree from Middle Tennessee in 1989 and a master degree from Tennessee State in 1991.