Wartburg 2009

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SCW you must be out of the loop lol. They have played in some jamborees since then. Just last season they traveled to one at Cumberland Gap & played the home team. I didnt get to make it, but there was a write-up in the newspaper. From what I have heard they are hosting a jamboree this year & playing against Taft. I don't know what other teams are in it, but Im pretty sure the Dawgs are playing 2 quarters. I'm looking forward to it.

Is it a jamboree or a scrimmage? Haven't known Wartburg to play in preseason jamborees since I played for them back in the eighties.

This started out as a 4 team jamboree back in the spring, but has dropped to only 2 teams now. We have tried to add additional teams as the original participants started dropping out, but we not able to do so. As a result, Taft and Wartburg will play 2 quarters this Friday starting at 7:30 PM (heat index permitting). It will be "game like" conditions with limitations on the kicking game etc. We already have commitments for more teams next year and hope to do this on a bigger scale.

Coach Shoe

Banjo picker, I guess I am "out of the loop" as you say, but I was gone from the area for several years and I don't follow the dogs like I once did either. I vividly remember my head coach giving us seniors the vote on playing in a jamboree back when I played. We all gave a resounding "yes!" He then turned to the rest of the team and said,"Well there you have it; we won't be playing in a jamboree this year......" I'm STILL scratching my head over that one! Taft? Somebody better tell Dallas to guard the gate! lol!!!

Where my Dawgs at? I can't wait for tonight. I will be there in my blue ready to see what the dogs have in store for the '09 season. I've been pumped & ready since the spring scrimmage when we smashed Sequoyah. I know tonight we are playing a cupcake compared to all the teams we have scrimmaged, but I'm still excited. I saw in the paper that its two 15 minute quarters of action. Are we planning on playing our starters the entire game? How has practice gone this week? Any information.

Wartburg won 7-6. Defense was very, very stout and held the offense to hardly any yards at all and caused chaos. It took forever to get the offense going....that seems to be our one major problem. #1 and #2 ran the ball realy well in their new power formation and steadily worked down the field. When we did get it rolling our Dogs just couldnt capitalize and finish the drive and would either fumble or penalize themselves with flags. We had a long td run called back for holding in the first or seecond quarter and then we drove all the way down to the three and fumbled an option pitch and lost it. Taft's only points were off of a fumble recovery for a TD. Wartburg scored with around 5 minutes to go with an interception taken back for a TD and the extra point to put them ahead 7-6. Judging by all the mistakes made...the score should have AT LEAST been 14 or 21 to nothing Wartburg.

I must agree with you blue-white, our Defense has been very very impressive every since the spring scrimmage. I love their physical style of play. Very aggressive & always flying to the ball. I can't figure out how we can be so aggressive on defense & then when we go on offense our O line can't seem to push anyone. That O line just isn't physical, but its the same guys that play defense so whats wrong? As a former Wartburg O lineman I want to see them improve. Every week it seems we are on here saying the same thing.

Our defense won this game for us plain & simple. The offense had a few good plays here & there, but then they almost cost us the game with the fumble return. Thank goodness the defense got it back for us. That was a huge play by our safety. Who is #14 anyway?

The offense needs to get it going, we won't be able to shut everyone out.