Wartburg 2009

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Went to the scrimmage tonight. All I can say is WOW. Sequoyah had 40+ players and the Dawgs had 15. They played their butts off tonight and held the Chiefs at the end to preserve a 1 to 0 scrimmage. Many players not dressed on the sidelines. Many 8th graders there to watch. This team although small in numbers is a much improved team. Off season lifting has helped them.

VERY IMPRESSIVE EFFORT BY A GREAT GROUP OF YOUNG MEN.

WOW!!! I was truly impressed with what I saw tonight. When I saw Sequoyah in warm ups I thought we were in for it. Especially since they had 50 players to our 15. Way to go Dogs a 1-0 win & a great goal line stand at the end. The defense looked dominant from start to finish & the offense had a lot of bright spots. I kept waiting for us to wear down, but we never did. Apparently they have a much better conditioning program then when I played. I cant wait for the season to begin!! Good luck Dogs

So how many players were hurt? Did they get hurt in spring practice or before? I hope the dogs can resolve their injury issues this year.

According to a couple of dads that I work with the injury rundown is as follows. Two are still recovering from off season surgery and not allowed to practice yet. A third was held out after a minor shoulder injury. A 4th was in an auto accident and not allowed to practice this week. A 5th was in the hospital following an unrelated but important and very serious surgery. A 6th is recovering from a basketball injury. Three are still playing baseball as well. Only one was lost during the Spring and it was precautionary I think. I think that they will be fine once they get everyone healthy and back into the program.

Off season work will be important this summer.

The Defense without a doubt was the highlight. I counted at least 3 times that they knocked the ball loose & they recovered a couple of those. It seemed like every player on the team was in on the tackle, man they were everywhere. Bone jarring hits.

I was also very impressed with the toughness they showed, being outnumbered like that & still being able to make a goal line stand at the end. The offense had some bright spots as well, that 80 yard TD run by the QB was sweet.

Players-I dont know many names but the middle LB made a number of tackles, the DB that made the INT i think someone said Spence? He also broke up a few other passes. #78 on the D line man he is mean. The QB (Rusty) seems very athletic. #35 had some nice runs as did Drew Jenkins.

I think the weak link right now may be the OL. They opened some big hole, but had too many breakdowns. I'm sure they will get that corrected.

Forgive me if I got any names wrong, but all that matters is that the Dawgs are on their way.

The Defense without a doubt was the highlight. I counted at least 3 times that they knocked the ball loose & they recovered a couple of those. It seemed like every player on the team was in on the tackle, man they were everywhere. Bone jarring hits.

I was also very impressed with the toughness they showed, being outnumbered like that & still being able to make a goal line stand at the end. The offense had some bright spots as well, that 80 yard TD run by the QB was sweet.

Players-I dont know many names but the middle LB made a number of tackles, the DB that made the INT i think someone said Spence? He also broke up a few other passes. #78 on the D line man he is mean. The QB (Rusty) seems very athletic. #35 had some nice runs as did Drew Jenkins.

I think the weak link right now may be the OL. They opened some big hole, but had too many breakdowns. I'm sure they will get that corrected.

Forgive me if I got any names wrong, but all that matters is that the Dawgs are on their way.

Defense was a defininte plus. I thought that the they are currently ahead of the offense in many ways. Offensively, there are a couple of things that will need definite work. #1 the passing game was not very good. The protection was part of that problem but also need to work on throwing and catching. #2 must develop a power game when they need it. May need to add a TE or a power I set. I think that everything was out of shotgun 4 wide. I think when the offense gets to spend a little more time and gets everybody back, they will improve. I think that the summer program will be vital for this team to improve. Also need to get more numbers out on the field. Maybe success will spark more interest.