D-B SPRING PRACTICE-Lets get it going !

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure would like to see that game if anyone has a film. Plowboy maybe you could let me borrow it for a couple days.

No Comp I don't have it,and if I did,I would be too ashamed to let you see the intentional holdings that went on as game strategy. Pitiful. It will come back and haunt DB one day.

A sad note: Over the weekend DB and Kingsport lost a great educator and a truly fine gentleman. Coach Jerry Adams passed away unexpectedly over the weekend. He was only 52 and will be greatly missed. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

My thoughts exactly. Jerry was a class act..in Church, on the court and at home.

Complacency is a terrible thing. I think we are all victim to it. In our jobs/businesses, children, marriage etc... It is difficult to keep stoking the fire and striving to achieve ever higher goals. However, it is the mark of a true champion. Everyone wants to sit back and watch it work after they build it. It is pride of ownership. But when it starts to breakdown you can wait just so long before rebuilding is inevitable. Yes, good systems replicate themselves but the masters presence is imperitive for continued success. Just as it is time for Stacy Carter to break through to the other side and prove he is who we think he is, GC has come to a crossroad. He must punch it in and soon or be left with a legacy of mediocrity. Mediocrity is a harsh word for him as he has a well illuminated past but I think this is the consensus of the Indian nation. The '08 Indians were a example of tremendous misuse of talent and overall bad management therof. The way I see it is now or never. Just my opinion as a outsider and I may be out of line and I have said it since '06 and the opportunities have been there for both but it would be so sweet for Kingsport to take both the two top classifications in the same year and put the icing on the cake. I know, I know...we supposedly don't have the talent to compete. I was at the track & field sectionals at Oak Ridge and saw the superiority of the Knoxville area talent therof. But I will never give up but instead will forge ahead with nothing but a superior attitude. I think it suicide to accept the notion that "this is a bad year for DB. Some say it is realistic...but I say dig deeper and find the ingredients needed to make it happen. It's an attitude and it must be possesed by all...players, parents, coaches, and yes...fans. We all can't go sit in the coaches office and even if we could it usually has a negative effect but a card with just the right words sent U.S. mail to the correct person could have a major impact. Especially knowing there is strength in numbers. Once again, your undying support is what is needed more than anything. And that support is what you Indians do best. So do your part and do it good and just maybe the tide might change and surprise many. Support from the South side.

First off, I would like to say that Jerry Adams was a great man and will be missed by all. He was my history teacher. I was in shock when I heard the news.

Second, Compusatman made a great post and I like to kid him about being a South fan, just as he kids with me about being a DB fan. He points out that Knoxville (and for that matter the rest of the state) seems to have more raw talent when compared to the Tri Cities. If you don't believe me, see what our area teams do against teams from Knoxville or further west and the truth will show. As I have said before, DB can win 10 games in the reg season in football but it can all end in the 1st round because DB will always play a Knoxville team or a team further west. South has become a power of late and maybe could have beaten DB. But the same applies to South. South plays teams east of Knoxville, and then losses to teams Knoxville area or West even if it is a semi final round. The point I am trying to make is not about DB or South because their playoff outcome is the same whether first or 3rd round, both will lose to the Knoxville or west of Knoxville area. South is blessed to be able to stay in upper east TN for a few rounds unlike DB who must play an athlete loaded team from Chatt or etc in the 1st round. People, do not lie to yourselves. The rest of the state is faster, bigger, and stronger. Why? I can't explain. But, we do have some great coaches and more community pride when compared to other areas of the state and that goes a long way. Any rookies on here tht would like to see the stats, go to www.tssaa.org I don't like the situation we are in. I can't explain it either, but Knoxville and west just has bigger, stronger, and faster athletes and I live in Nashville now. Some of the local Nashville schools will have 40 kids on the roster. South and DB might have 80 or more. The 40 man Nashville teams will have more athletes most of the time. Before you knock me, see for yourself. Also, Maryville is included in my area.

So do you think DB has too many on the roster? If we cut to 40 would they get the attention/coaching they need to be able to make past the first round? Personally, I think the reason the rest of the state is bigger and stronger is 'cuz they have a larger pool of athlethes to choose from. More than half the kids getting serious playing time at DB (and South) would sit on the bench at some of these other 5A schools.

So do you think DB has too many on the roster? If we cut to 40 would they get the attention/coaching they need to be able to make past the first round? Personally, I think the reason the rest of the state is bigger and stronger is 'cuz they have a larger pool of athlethes to choose from. More than half the kids getting serious playing time at DB (and South) would sit on the bench at some of these other 5A schools.

I agree. It's common sense. With Nashville having a population of 600K and Kingsport having 45K, you're going to have about a 14 to 1 ratio of "big, fast, strong" kids. Now, I know there are more high schools in Nashville and Memphis than there are in Kingsport, but that doesn't change the ratio.

I agree. It's common sense. With Nashville having a population of 600K and Kingsport having 45K, you're going to have about a 14 to 1 ratio of "big, fast, strong" kids. Now, I know there are more high schools in Nashville and Memphis than there are in Kingsport, but that doesn't change the ratio.

I think you have to look at the population of the school rather than the population of the area. The only way I can see your logic working is if all the best athletes in Nashville went to two or three schools while the slower, less athletic players went to all the other schools, which is possible.

I think you have to look at the population of the school rather than the population of the area. The only way I can see your logic working is if all the best athletes in Nashville went to two or three schools while the slower, less athletic players went to all the other schools, which is possible.

I'm sure it happens. It happens all over the country. Teams get a good thing going and everyone jumps on board. This has helped Maryville greatly in the past. It even happens to a smaller degree in this area.

Second, Compusatman made a great post and I like to kid him about being a South fan, just as he kids with me about being a DB fan. He points out that Knoxville (and for that matter the rest of the state) seems to have more raw talent when compared to the Tri Cities. If you don't believe me, see what our area teams do against teams from Knoxville or further west and the truth will show.

I believe the Knoxville area has more talent overall and it tends to be difficult for Northeast TN teams for a multitude of reasons. In 2000, Kingsport had approximately 45,000 people. The Census Bureau says that in 2005, Kingsport had approximately a 1.7% decrease in population since 2000, about 750 people. I find this very interesting because Kingsport as well as the rest of Sullivan County was increasing in population from 1990 to 2000. Kingsport's population increased 23.5% from 1990 to 2000. This differs from 2000 to 2005 where both Kingsport and the Sullivan County experienced a decrease in population. DB had 1,859 students according to the 2008 report card. At the same time, North had a population of 832 students. South had 1,068 students. Kingsport has 3 high schools whereas Knox Co. has 13 high schools. Knoxville has around 174,000 people in 2000 and in 2006 had an approximate population of around 182,337. This obviously makes it difficult for teams around here to compete. Southwest VA, suffers the same problem. A few of those teams though were able to beat the odds and win a state championship. Classifications are suppose to even the playing field, but in DB, South, Science Hill, or TN High's case, if you only play in your own "territory" it will hurt you come playoff time. The bigger metropolitan areas have a lot more students, they're more diverse, and in some cases have better resources. Northeast TN has mostly been filled 2A and 3A schools impersonating 4A schools.

DB use to schedule a team like MBA to play them. Despite the fact that they have to play teams like Crockett, Central, and Volunteer I like that they picked up Farragut and Clinton. DB may start out 0-2, but I think a team like DB needs to be challenged and possibly even humbled in the regular season. You and I know that the number 1 ranking means nothing and is really a curse, but 16 and 17 year old kids may take that ranking seriously. They may truly believe they are the best team in the state.

As I have said before, DB can win 10 games in the reg season in football but it can all end in the 1st round because DB will always play a Knoxville team or a team further west.

Use to that wasn't the case.

South has become a power of late and maybe could have beaten DB. But the same applies to South. South plays teams east of Knoxville, and then losses to teams Knoxville area or West even if it is a semi final round. The point I am trying to make is not about DB or South because their playoff outcome is the same whether first or 3rd round, both will lose to the Knoxville or west of Knoxville area. South is blessed to be able to stay in upper east TN for a few rounds unlike DB who must play an athlete loaded team from Chatt or etc in the 1st round.

South and Tennessee High have only played a few teams west of Morristown. And when they did, they weren't little cupcake teams; they were dynasties such as Maryville who had a 74 game winning streak or Cleveland who won 3 state championships in a row in the 90's. That's not the case for DB. The "loaded teams" that have beaten DB in the first round have gone on to lose in round 2. DB had McMinn Co.'s number in the first half last year and then everything broke loose. I believe DB had a team that was capable of beating McMinn Co.; They should've beaten William Blount in '06. I can't speak for the first time WB upset DB, wasn't DB 10-0 heading into that game as well? I believe DB can beat those teams they just need to find a team capable of humbling them in regular season. WacoJaco would probably mention coaching as well.I'm not saying South and TN High aren't at fault. They need to break the apartheid and schedule some Knoxville teams as well. South, in my opinion, is taking that step this year by scheduling Knox West.