Softball Players that play Basketball

ISTHATRIGHT

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Play the sport in season.... period

Coaches let players enjoy playing..its not a job

College coaches will find the good players without AAU basketball, travel soccer or travel volleyball...all three are unnecessary evils and burn players out....period

AAU Basketball....Travel Soccer...Travel Volleyball....leave softball alone!!! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Softball Players unite and play your sport and tell those other sports to play in their season....period /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

When is softball season? Fall, Spring, Summer or Winter camps???

When is softball season? Fall, Spring, Summer or Winter camps???

When is "softball season"?

Well it is in the spring when high school plays. Don't you know dat? Man, you is a rookie.

It is also in da summer when travel ball is played. Can't believe you didn't know dat one !!!

And, it is also in da fall when da travel team is playin dat "Fall Ball". Man, you don't know nothin.

And of course there is dem hittin and pitchin lessons dat go on year-round.

Simply put...softball season is ALL DA DOG-GONE TIME !!!

You got it right "WhatTime" !!! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

When is "softball season"?

Well it is in the spring when high school plays. Don't you know dat? Man, you is a rookie.

It is also in da summer when travel ball is played. Can't believe you didn't know dat one !!!

And, it is also in da fall when da travel team is playin dat "Fall Ball". Man, you don't know nothin.

And of course there is dem hittin and pitchin lessons dat go on year-round.

Simply put...softball season is ALL DA DOG-GONE TIME !!!

You got it right "WhatTime" !!! /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

Nice Guy you've made my point. Softball "season" is year round. So which sport is forcing girls to make a decision?

Bottom line true athletes can play multiple sports if their coaches are willing to work with them and not be selfish. Colleges will find the true athletes. Most colleges prefer multi sport athletes especially those with good GPA's. If you like to compete then it really doesn't matter what the season is or the sport your playing. An "ATHLETE" will compete for the pure sport. And if they are a "true athlete", they won't have to worry about puking in basketball practice. The real athletes are always in shape and running isn't a problem.

My 2 cents worth

There are a great many kids that have the ability to play more than one sport and be successful. Good for them. But......as a head coach on an A 14u travel team I will not put up with anything else during our season. I go out of the way not to interfere with anything they may do during their off time or during their school seasons, but when its our time no other sports. Sorry......nothing personal........just business

Did I fall asleep for awhile and wake up?

When did Travel Ball become a BUSINESS?

What was your profit last year?

Are you getting any Bailout monies from the gov't?

What is your salary and payroll for your players?

Do you have any job openings?

How long have you been a business?

Do you have a website?

Are you a public or private BUSINESS?

Nothing Personal. Just curious.

Play the sport in season.... period

Coaches let players enjoy playing..its not a job

College coaches will find the good players without AAU basketball, travel soccer or travel volleyball...all three are unnecessary evils and burn players out....period

AAU Basketball....Travel Soccer...Travel Volleyball....leave softball alone!!! /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

Softball Players unite and play your sport and tell those other sports to play in their season....period /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I am all for playing your sport......leaving softball alone.......I have heard crap about burning players out.......I say that the dedicated ones don't get burned out.......it is a weeding out process all along to get to the dedicated players......the ones that leave softball were not meant to stay and there is absolutly nothing wrong with learning to have a commitment. I would expect the same thing if mine were in another sport taking it serious......And another thing, these girls will appreciate their down time and not get burned out like they would do doing multiple sports and having no down time.

it really seems like basketball is out of control with football a close second. when softball is being played the gym ought to be closed and no basketball going on. let the kids be kids and have a life. if they chose to go and shoot so be it but these so called "mandatory" voluntarly practices need to be done away with

it really seems like basketball is out of control with football a close second. when softball is being played the gym ought to be closed and no basketball going on. let the kids be kids and have a life. if they chose to go and shoot so be it but these so called "mandatory" voluntarly practices need to be done away with

I think basketball was the 1st "out of control sport". The rise of AAU basketball really led to that. I also think Baseball, Softball, volleyball and soccer are all nearly, if not totally, out of control now. I agree with the question when is softball "season". When is baseball, volleyball and soccer "season" as well? I know some kids love one sport and want to play it year round, but I also think that it is a shame that kids have to make a decison about what "one" sport they want to play at such an early age. If we want the popularity of our sport (whatever that sport is) to grow shouldn't we encourage more participation instead of saying that if you are not comitted solely to one sport then you should not be playing. By essentially forcing a small number of kids to focus on one sport are we ultimately limiting the number of people who will follow it and support it. I do not doubt that we are improving the caliber of play but will a kid (and her family) that focused exclusively on soccer for instance ever really care about softball, volleyball, etc.? I by no means claim to know all the answers but I do think our focus can get to be too narrow at times and that could very well have a negative effect.

Also I am not sure that football is not actually the most most "in control" sport that is left. No AAU football, no travel football, no football exposure tournaments. 10 days of spring football and the regular season with some pretty strict limitations on off season practices. Yes it does take a tremendous comittment in terms of weights and conditioning but the bounaries of the actually season are pretty well defined. I know of alot of football coaches that open weight rooms early in the morning and a various times throughout the summer so kids can continue to lift and still play their other sports. I also know that there are some "out of control" football guys as well (just as there are out of control coaches in other sports).

Just my humble opinion which I hope no one finds too offensive. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Wow! I thought I would get some opinions on this topic but not 4 pages in 1 day. Some very good points on here and the thing that I would like to say is as far as the travel ball. Most of these teams especially ours is that the only time they get to see the kids they play with is during the summer and its fun, they get to do things with other people they don't get to see at school everyday and enjoy themselves. Most of all THEY PLAY BECAUSE THEY WANT TO NOT BECAUSE THEY ARE MADE TO PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I am all for playing your sport......leaving softball alone.......I have heard crap about burning players out.......I say that the dedicated ones don't get burned out.......it is a weeding out process all along to get to the dedicated players......the ones that leave softball were not meant to stay and there is absolutly nothing wrong with learning to have a commitment. I would expect the same thing if mine were in another sport taking it serious......And another thing, these girls will appreciate their down time and not get burned out like they would do doing multiple sports and having no down time.

Wow! I strongly disagree with the comment: "dedicated ones don't get burned out".....

There is a top notch coach in Murfreesboro, who was one of the top ten post players in the US when she played high school basketball. She could have "signed on the dotted line" probably anywhere; but due to HER coach---she quit playing after her senior year in high school--DUE TO BURN OUT! The sad thing is---now that she is coaching---some of her players have "burned out" because she is using some of the same "techniques" that her old coach used on her. Some of that "weeding out" is due to over-zealous coaching--not from the players lack of "dedication"! This is not a business---it is a sport!

Even though some players will go on to college and play ball---what in the heck are they going to do after college? For most of them, realistically, they will not be playing in the WNBA and if they do make it to that level---have you seen the salary for most of those players? They had better use those scholarships in college to "study". Hopefully, our daughters will learn THROUGH the game of basketball or other sports how to cope with life and challenges. But the sport alone, does NOT guarantee them a wonderful life! And they cannot get these high school years back again.

You mentioned "the girls will appreciate their down time and not get burned out like they would by playing "multiple sports".....I'm laughing out loud! Since my daughter started playing basketball--there IS NO SUCH THING as DOWNTIME! She has NO LIFE outside of the gym. Now, she "chose" to do this--but it has taken it's toll on her this past year. For the first time ever--she said "I'm not sure if I want to play in college"......but that does NOT make her any less "dedicated" to her sport, team and coach right now. She is almost 18 and she is making a "decision" about her future...... so I really resent the comment about "lack of dedication". I'm glad you are not her coach!

Also I am not sure that football is not actually the most most "in control" sport that is left. No AAU football, no travel football, no football exposure tournaments. 10 days of spring football and the regular season with some pretty strict limitations on off season practices. Yes it does take a tremendous comittment in terms of weights and conditioning but the bounaries of the actually season are pretty well defined. I know of alot of football coaches that open weight rooms early in the morning and a various times throughout the summer so kids can continue to lift and still play their other sports. I also know that there are some "out of control" football guys as well (just as there are out of control coaches in other sports).

Just my humble opinion which I hope no one finds too offensive. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

This may be changing as the 7on7 leagues continue to gain popularity.

Does this thread give fans an idea of what the TSSAA is trying to do with the Dead Period?

Wow! I strongly disagree with the comment: "dedicated ones don't get burned out".....

There is a top notch coach in Murfreesboro, who was one of the top ten post players in the US when she played high school basketball. She could have "signed on the dotted line" probably anywhere; but due to HER coach---she quit playing after her senior year in high school--DUE TO BURN OUT! The sad thing is---now that she is coaching---some of her players have "burned out" because she is using some of the same "techniques" that her old coach used on her. Some of that "weeding out" is due to over-zealous coaching--not from the players lack of "dedication"! This is not a business---it is a sport!

Even though some players will go on to college and play ball---what in the heck are they going to do after college? For most of them, realistically, they will not be playing in the WNBA and if they do make it to that level---have you seen the salary for most of those players? They had better use those scholarships in college to "study". Hopefully, our daughters will learn THROUGH the game of basketball or other sports how to cope with life and challenges. But the sport alone, does NOT guarantee them a wonderful life! And they cannot get these high school years back again.

You mentioned "the girls will appreciate their down time and not get burned out like they would by playing "multiple sports".....I'm laughing out loud! Since my daughter started playing basketball--there IS NO SUCH THING as DOWNTIME! She has NO LIFE outside of the gym. Now, she "chose" to do this--but it has taken it's toll on her this past year. For the first time ever--she said "I'm not sure if I want to play in college"......but that does NOT make her any less "dedicated" to her sport, team and coach right now. She is almost 18 and she is making a "decision" about her future...... so I really resent the comment about "lack of dedication". I'm glad you are not her coach!

I don't think there is anything wrong with playing more than one sport. I played volleyball, basketball, and softball in high school and softball was my main sport, so I chose that to play for five years on college (red-shirt one year). Playing all those sports helped me not only to stay in shape year round, but it also helped me to stay out of trouble and get my work done on time. Many of my players not only PLAY other sports, but they are starters or major contributors on other teams at our school and I love it. I go to the games and cheer for them to win. I do believe that it has become obsessive and that parents are almost forcing children (ages 9, 10, 11) to take private lessons and play the whole year round. I think focusing on one sport is great or choosing to play more than one sport is great. I truly believe that you should let your child decide what he or she wants to play. Once they do decide to play on a team, they need to honor their committment and stick it out as least for that season, and then make a decision. Too many players now are deciding to play and then quitting half way through the season for various reasons...which brings me to another question...(and off topic) Since when did it become an obligation for me to play everyone? When I played (which wasn't very long ago) it was a privilege to play, not something "owed" to them like it is now. Just because you choose a sport and dedicate your time to practicing and lessons does not mean you are guaranteed a playing spot... When it comes down to it, girls will NOT play sports forever and so the reason they play should be enjoyment. If they want to pick one sport then fine, but if they want to play three (like I did) let them do that too. Just make sure they honor their committments to their coaches and teammates...Just my little soap box...