TSSAA Board Member Pleads Ignorance regarding TSSAA Tournament Rules

Chief

Mike Reed, member of TSSAA Board of Controls and vice principal of Morristown West High School, while acting as tournament director for the District 2 AAA softball tournament, attempted to force play on Wednesday night in adverse weather conditions in an effort to afford his school's softball team a strategic advantage.

On a night when no other softball tournament action took place in East TN and amidst concern over the safety of the players, Mr. Reed gained agreement during the pregame meeting from the coaches to attempt to get the game in on the premise that if they were unsuccessful, then the game would be stopped and would be played the next night by starting over.

The game only lasted 5 batters long. 1 strikeout, 1 left field single that "splashed" and "skidded" through leftfielders legs and to the fence advancing the runner to third, a sac bunt fielder's choice where pitcher fields ball and after slipping and sliding decides to eat it rather than risk the runner at third, another strikeout amongst what had become a torrential downpour. During the 4th at bat, the rains were almost biblical causing two wild pitches in the dirt (mud) that made it to the back stop. The first one scored the runner from third. The attempts by the pitcher to cover home gave observers the impression of a first time ice skater. FOLKS THE CONDITIONS WERE HORRIBLE AND THE GAME SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN ATTEMPTED. Finally, after ball 1 to the 5th batter, the home plate umpire came to his senses and called the game to the disappointment of several Morristown West team members and fans as there was a runner on 3rd who would have definitely scored on the next mud pitch. FOLKS....IT WAS A STRATEGY!!!!!!

Announcements were made that the game would be re-started the next night based on the agreements from the pre-game meeting and everyone went home expecting just that.

The TSSAA handbook clearly states that suspension of play during tournaments will result in resuming the game from the point that it was suspended, which is obviously contrary to the direction given by Mr. Reed and the TSSAA umpire to gain agreement to proceed during the pre-game meeting. Upon discovering the mistake the next day, Mr. Reed took the approach "I was unaware of the rule, but a rule is a rule, what can I do".

Needless to say the game was re-started the next day where it left off per TSSAA rule. Conditions were very good and Mr. Reed's team never had to deal with any adverse conditions defensively. Three straight strikes got the offended team out of the jam and a well played game from that point on was witnessed by all.

As you might imagine from my ranting and raving, the one "MUD" run from the Wednesday night fiasco made a difference. Morristown West will move on into the regional tournament via a 2 to 1 victory. And yes, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

My question is this..... Instead of pleading "ignorance", why would a TSSAA member of the board of controls not plead "Integrity" by admitting his mistake and for the sake of fairness and sportsmanship gained the necessary approvals from the proper authority (Himself) to do the right thing and start the game over.

My answer is this.....IT WAS A STRATEGY FOLKS!!!!!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pitiful is the best way I can describe the situation surronding this game, but that does not suprise me at all since West High School is involved! Allways wanting something for nothing championships are not meant to be easy, and they sure dont mean as much when they are not earned! I know I know I know "that is what the rules say" will be your reply, those rules would never been brought to anyones attention if the Trojans had been down 1 to 0. Integrity is the word of the day Mr Reed!

Why did the opposing coach agree to play?

Why did the umpires agree to play?

Dont know noyhing about either one of the teams..............UMPIRES are supposed to enforce the written rules! Therefore they should have known them! Reed is wrong and umpires for making their own verbal rules.....Reed was too deeply involved to be assigned a director.....shoulda never happened, but it did.....unfortunate...

Coaches are responsible for knowing the rules. I'd like to think if I was entering into a game with a high likelihood that it would not be completed, I would know EXACTLY what the rule was on postponed games. I'm not defending this guy (don't know him or either team), only saying that BOTH coaches should of known the rules and never agreed to anything outside the rules before game started.

This is not the first time this softball season that Mike Reed has made controversial calls. Either he is the most misinformed state member in recent history or he is a puppet whose strings are being pulled by some misguided parents trying to living through their children. Quit making the game dirty.

This is not the first time this softball season that Mike Reed has made controversial calls. Either he is the most misinformed state member in recent history or he is a puppet whose strings are being pulled by some misguided parents trying to living through their children. Quit making the game dirty.

If for one ding dang minute anybody is taking anything away from the team that won West High and those girls that played then your a loser.... I was at both games and watched and the best team that day did freakin win the ding dang ball game. Who cares about all the bull crap you want to put up. The real thing is the team that was on the field won the game fair and square. They did not cheat they did not cheat they did not cheat. I have no one on either team and am ticked off that anyone would even comment on the game as to it not being fair. DONT TAKE Anything away form the West High girls they are great girls and worked hard for that win. Yes Cherokee is a great team but not as great as in the past and did not move on STUFF happens thats why it is a game. It is a game to be played there is always a winner and a loser..

Great job West High Trojans. Good luck to the Seniors from Cherokee in your future travels. ENough said.

Once a decision for the game to begin is made by the tournament director, the game is then in the hands of the umpire--who could have stopped it at any time. Sounds to me like the umpire should have stopped the game sooner if the conditions were that bad and as far as starting over.....coaches should know that it resumes in tournament play--this happens all the time anymore and is not a new idea.

Mike Reed, member of TSSAA Board of Controls and vice principal of Morristown West High School, while acting as tournament director for the District 2 AAA softball tournament, attempted to force play on Wednesday night in adverse weather conditions in an effort to afford his school's softball team a strategic advantage.

On a night when no other softball tournament action took place in East TN and amidst concern over the safety of the players, Mr. Reed gained agreement during the pregame meeting from the coaches to attempt to get the game in on the premise that if they were unsuccessful, then the game would be stopped and would be played the next night by starting over.

The game only lasted 5 batters long. 1 strikeout, 1 left field single that "splashed" and "skidded" through leftfielders legs and to the fence advancing the runner to third, a sac bunt fielder's choice where pitcher fields ball and after slipping and sliding decides to eat it rather than risk the runner at third, another strikeout amongst what had become a torrential downpour. During the 4th at bat, the rains were almost biblical causing two wild pitches in the dirt (mud) that made it to the back stop. The first one scored the runner from third. The attempts by the pitcher to cover home gave observers the impression of a first time ice skater. FOLKS THE CONDITIONS WERE HORRIBLE AND THE GAME SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN ATTEMPTED. Finally, after ball 1 to the 5th batter, the home plate umpire came to his senses and called the game to the disappointment of several Morristown West team members and fans as there was a runner on 3rd who would have definitely scored on the next mud pitch. FOLKS....IT WAS A STRATEGY!!!!!!

Announcements were made that the game would be re-started the next night based on the agreements from the pre-game meeting and everyone went home expecting just that.

The TSSAA handbook clearly states that suspension of play during tournaments will result in resuming the game from the point that it was suspended, which is obviously contrary to the direction given by Mr. Reed and the TSSAA umpire to gain agreement to proceed during the pre-game meeting. Upon discovering the mistake the next day, Mr. Reed took the approach "I was unaware of the rule, but a rule is a rule, what can I do".

Needless to say the game was re-started the next day where it left off per TSSAA rule. Conditions were very good and Mr. Reed's team never had to deal with any adverse conditions defensively. Three straight strikes got the offended team out of the jam and a well played game from that point on was witnessed by all.

As you might imagine from my ranting and raving, the one "MUD" run from the Wednesday night fiasco made a difference. Morristown West will move on into the regional tournament via a 2 to 1 victory. And yes, it leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

My question is this..... Instead of pleading "ignorance", why would a TSSAA member of the board of controls not plead "Integrity" by admitting his mistake and for the sake of fairness and sportsmanship gained the necessary approvals from the proper authority (Himself) to do the right thing and start the game over.

My answer is this.....IT WAS A STRATEGY FOLKS!!!!!

don't think it was a sac bunt if no runner advanced, just a fielder's choice, but that's just me

"STRATEGY".....A LAME EXCUSE FOR SURE...#1.....NO TEAM had a reason TO NOT take the field Wednesday...IT HAD BEEN WORKED ON AND THE WEATHER WAS HOLDING OUT..AS IT HAD THE LAST 3 DAYS OF PLAY.. EACH DAY THERE WAS HAS BEEN A CHANCE OF RAIN...CHEROKEE PLAYED AND DEFEATED JEFFERSON CO. MONDAY IN THE RAIN ..THE GAME STARTED DRY BUT ENDED WET.....#2......GAME BEGAN AND STILL NO RAIN...RADAR WAS BEING CHECKED VIA THE WEATHER SERVICE LOCATED IN MORRISTOWN BY TWO ADULTS, NEITHER WITH RELATIVES THAT WERE GOING TO TAKE THE FIELD..WHEN THE STORM CELL APPEARED ON THE RADAR IT WAS ALMOST IMMEDIATELY ON TOP OF US AT WEST AND THE GAME WAS STOPPED...#3.....YOU KNOW AS WELL AS ANYONE THATS PLAYED OR COACHED SOFTBALL ...THAT DURING TOURNAMENT PLAY RULES ARE DIFFERENT...AND THE RESPONABILITY IS WITH THE COACH.. (THE COACH) OR COACHING STAFF..THEIR (JOB) IS TO GET INFORMED OF THE RULES...SO I ASK WHO IF ANYONE WOULD BE TO BLAME FOR CHEROKEE PLEDING IGNORANT TO A RULE THAT HAS BEEN IN EFFECT FOR YEARS...IF NOT CHEROKEE COACHING STAFF...REALLY!...

Impossible to know exactly what happened unless a coach, umpire, the TSSAA or Mr. Reed himself comments.

However, if the tourney director told the coaches/umpires that the game would be started over in the event that play is/was suspended then there is a legit gripe regardless of the "rule". A person can know the rules all day long but when a superior (tournament director) says something different that certainly changes things. If it is company policy to come in a 7:00 a.m. but the boss says everyone can come in at 8:00 a.m. one day should an employee be reprimanded when he/she comes in at 8:00?

If for one ding dang minute anybody is taking anything away from the team that won West High and those girls that played then your a loser.... I was at both games and watched and the best team that day did freakin win the ding dang ball game. Who cares about all the bull crap you want to put up. The real thing is the team that was on the field won the game fair and square. They did not cheat they did not cheat they did not cheat. I have no one on either team and am ticked off that anyone would even comment on the game as to it not being fair. DONT TAKE Anything away form the West High girls they are great girls and worked hard for that win. Yes Cherokee is a great team but not as great as in the past and did not move on STUFF happens thats why it is a game. It is a game to be played there is always a winner and a loser..

Great job West High Trojans. Good luck to the Seniors from Cherokee in your future travels. ENough said.

Apparently you read through rose colored contacts. The discussion never questioned the girls nor the outcome of the game, it questions the integrity of Mike Reed and a few particular parents that have consistently manipulated the game. Best wishes to the Lady Trojans and hopefully, individuals will let the game be played on the field.