SCHS-OSHS predictions

bigreid

Posted by orangenblack:

Mike Blackerby, sports editor for the Oak Ridger came up with this prediction:

Smith County at Oliver Springs -- Bobcats coach Frank Johnson has another solid team. ... Oliver Springs 17, Smith County 14.

We're gonna have to fire Mark Burgess from "The Knoxville Useless Sentinel" He didn't even mention the game.

He really went out on a limb there, didn't he? That was last year's score. I also noticed that the Sentinel didn't mention the game. How could they overlook such a powerhouse as OS? All kidding aside, it should be a very good game. It is an important nonregion for SC because of our split region and overall record being the tiebreaker. :D

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by orangenblack:
Posted by swamp:

The Senseless only cares about the KFL, Blount County, and Oak Ridge. :D

You've been around long enough to know that.

They used to be a decent newspaper, but went all to pieces in the 1980's. But today they mentioned they did have an article on the Rockwood/Kingston game. Sounds like they're partial to Rockwood??

They will throw a token cookie to Roane or Loudon county occasionally. Who did they pick in RHS/RCHS?

Agree with you Orange and Black, I am sure it was an oversight on Burgess's part for not listing the game and its predictions. Two really ballcubs with 2-0 records that are going to make some noise in the playoffs should be listed. I emailed him ans asked why statisitics on knoxmetrosports did not incluse Roane COunty teams when teams like Heritage, Loudon, Lenior City,Anderson County, etc. were listed. I am sure that is in the plans, but if you are going to cover games with scores and the Sentinal is distributed in areas, then all teams need to be covered when they fans, players, and coaches rely on the Sentinal for complete coverage of the Knoxville area.

Posted by OS91:

Agree with you Orange and Black, I am sure it was an oversight on Burgess's part for not listing the game and its predictions. Two really ballcubs with 2-0 records that are going to make some noise in the playoffs should be listed. I emailed him ans asked why statisitics on knoxmetrosports did not incluse Roane COunty teams when teams like Heritage, Loudon, Lenior City,Anderson County, etc. were listed. I am sure that is in the plans, but if you are going to cover games with scores and the Sentinal is distributed in areas, then all teams need to be covered when they fans, players, and coaches rely on the Sentinal for complete coverage of the Knoxville area.

I've quit relying on the Senseless for reports, thanks to CoachT.com!

:D

Posted by swamp:
Posted by orangenblack:
Posted by swamp:

They used to be a decent newspaper, but went all to pieces in the 1980's. But today they mentioned they did have an article on the Rockwood/Kingston game. Sounds like they're partial to Rockwood??

They will throw a token cookie to Roane or Loudon county occasionally. Who did they pick in RHS/RCHS?

Kingston by 3.

Posted by Antwan:
Posted by swamp:
Posted by orangenblack:
Posted by swamp:

Kingston by 3.

Twanny, what are you doing reading the Knox paper?

Posted by OS91:I emailed him ans asked why statisitics on knoxmetrosports did not incluse Roane COunty teams when teams like Heritage, Loudon, Lenior City,Anderson County, etc. were listed. I am sure that is in the plans, but if you are going to cover games with scores and the Sentinal is distributed in areas, then all teams need to be covered when they fans, players, and coaches rely on the Sentinal for complete coverage of the Knoxville area.

I always save the Special Section that comes out around the third week of August in the KNS and they didn't feature O.S, any Morgan County team, Oneida, and several more. As I said, the Senseless just keeps getting more Useless.

I remember back in 1994 (around then) that Oakdale's baseball team went to the state tournament. The KNS never wrote a story about how they did in Chattanooga. They did have a box score, but not even a tidbit of info about the team. I really thought that was bad considering how great a story it was to have a school that small make the final four. Oakdale also had Brad Howard that year who holds the all-time Tennessee high school strikeout record with 700+. I remember going to the game down in Chattanooga and the Chattanooga paper did a feature story on Brad and the Eagles while Knoxville had the box score. Don't get me wrong, I think Mark Burgess has a tough job in trying to keep up with all East Tennessee basically by himself. What the Sentinel should do is give him some help because he has too much to cover.

Posted by swamp:
Posted by Antwan:
Posted by swamp:
Posted by orangenblack:
Posted by swamp:

The Senseless only cares about the KFL, Blount County, and Oak Ridge. :x

Kingston by 3.

Twanny, what are you doing reading the Knox paper?

Swampy, I read the online version of the Sentinel all the time. I have done so for the past 7 years. :)

Agreed Goose.. Howard's feat should have been known throughout the KNoxville area. There is honeslty no excuse for the lack of coverage by the Sentinal. Didn't Oakedale have a gierls basketball in Sports Illustrated at some point in 90's.

Anyway, a newpaper is in the works for 70 plus teams located out of Knoxville that should bring the WHOLE knoxville area together and not have silly statistics as the Sentianl does that have kids that carry the ball 4 times for -12 yards listed as rushing leaders for the knox metor area. - that is a joke

Posted by OS91:

Ok, time to get serious on this board and roll up my sleeves after reading some of these Smith County posts. You would think Smith COunty was a major powerhouse ( which they are far from) with the attitude of how mighty SMith COunty is acting in regarding to the clash this Friday night in questioning OS's 2-0 record, its schedule, and the disbelief in some OS fans post that predict OS winning?

Its time for a pre game reality check for SMith COunty Posters

Here are the Facts. Oliver Springs beat Smith County at Carthrage last year. That victory was one of many over a tenacious schedule the Bobcats had last year. Smith County was humiliated last year mutiple times against a couple teams in their own region. OS has played the big boys and played them touch in scrimmages such as AC and CLinton( which SMith COunty is nowhere close to in terms of talent and ability) OS has every reason to be confident and think they have the ability to win this game. Smith County is a good 3-a school and building their program and elevating it.

OS already plays 3-A schools on a regular basis and has been winning on a regular basis of late ( ask Kingston, Lenior City, Scott COunty, Anderson County in a scrimmage)

My question wouldnt be if OS is acting overconfident is thinking they can win this game, but my question would be is Smith County posters trying to elevate their football team with a reputation that has yet to deliver? I hope your trip to East Tennessee is a good one.... OS awaits

I didn't get to go, but I think fan enjoyed his trip to East Tennessee. :x

Did we even throw a pass? :x How many yards did Ward have...300?? :) It should have been worse but that timely yellow hankie seem to show up in the nick of time...kinda like at Trousdale.

Fan(who REALLY enjoyed the game...but we made to many mistakes to beat a region 4-3a team tonite...guess we were lucky it was an out of region)

[Edited by fanman on 9-13-02 11:01P]