CAK vs. Pigeon Forge

BigG

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

G you blow the argument of good coaching by your comment above. To win like you do, I don't care how many good players you have coaching is the catalyst that brings good teams together and makes them win. Many teams have had great players yet not done a thing or gotten beat early. Your year in and year out proves that Coaching no matter whom you have makes a difference. Besides I don't think Farragut and Bearden would win over and over if Coach Culbreth and coach Turner are not controlling whomever they have as well and they too win all the time. I know they both are after everyone in the offseason to play at least AYSO if nothing else. Don't get pulled into not giving yourself credit or them.

Well, I Kinda agree, but you can be the best coach in the world but without quality players and/or athletes it just ain't gonna happen. And you can be an average coach at best (ME) with some quality players and do quite well.

Just a thought.

Well, I Kinda agree, but you can be the best coach in the world but without quality players and/or athletes it just ain't gonna happen. And you can be an average coach at best (ME) with some quality players and do quite well.

Just a thought.

Now coach I'll agree with that statement.

I guess I 'll throw in my thoughts, 1st, congrats MVM on the boy graduating, I actually played there from 99-03. Proud TWC alum.

Also, thanks to APB for some props in an earlier post, if you consider sam thompson just an athlete and give me credit for making him a soccer player, I'll take full credit. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> Man, if that guy played club his whole life instead of chasing that funny shaped ball around all fall. geesh.

On a serious note, It may seem like it is easy for me to say I don't care if the privates are in our division with this season's success. But I have said that for a long time. I think the merit system is the best solution. I hate losing, even to a friend like G. Do I think you should move to a higher division after 5 state championships, well yes. I also think the repeat participants at state should be moved up and move less successful teams down. We reclassify every 4 years, why not add this in, even if for soccer only. To me, it isn't about the public/private debate. I guess maybe that comes from people claiming we recruit for football at alcoa(I'll leave that to you APB). It is more about the programs that are continually successful moving into a more competitive arena and having a greater challenge. Although I think CAK will tell you that none of those championships came easy.

The other part of this thing for me is I love the challenge. I know coming into the year, who the usual suspects are going to be and I have to work very hard with my team to give us a competitive chance. It is never sprung on me at the last moment that I'm going to be facing a great team at some point. I know that and worked to put together short term and long term plans to get us to a competitive level. I'm very happy part of those plans worked out this year, but I already have a map for next year, when I lose 5 starters and need to get some younger players ready to step in. Some of this involves their club teams, and some I can control with the rules that TSSAA allows during the summer. If you put in the work it will happen. And who said a state championship is the only way to determine a successful season. We had a great year last season and were put out by CAK. Remember the Journey guys, not the destination!

CAK ends Pigeon Forge soccer's season, again

By JASON DAVIS, Sports Editor

mpsports@themountainpress.com

May 17,2009

KNOXVILLE ?— If Pigeon Forge soccer coach Billy Mosely were a character in a movie, he'd be Phil Connors, Bill Murray's character from the 1993 movie Groundhog Day.

Like Connors, who's stuck in time reliving the same day over and over again, Mosely too seems stuck in a perpetual nightmare.

For the past half decade Pigeon Forge has played great soccer in district and regionals, only to be foiled by private schools in the sub-state matchups.

Saturday afternoon was no different.

For the second year in a row it was Christian Academy of Knoxville that derailed the Tigers' state tournament hopes, winning 4-0 at home over the overmatched Orange and Black.

Following the game, Mosely gave the Warriors their due before speaking out against what he feels is a unfair system.

"There's a reason you look on the fence (where CAK hoists their state championship banners) and see "03, "04, "05, "06, "07 state champions and "08 runner-up. There's a reason you see that," Mosely said, complimenting CAK's unreal passing, dribbling and ball control.

But then Mosely spoke out on the dominance of private schools over public schools, especially in soccer.

"I've been here many times (to the sub-state). TSSAA has to do something to make competition fair to the public schools," Mosely said. "But they're not going to do it, because they'd be out so much money. You bust your butt all year and you get to sub-state five, six years in a row. I don't know. It's a letdown. You think I'm wrong? Look at the state tournament and look how many private schools and how many public schools are in the state tournament.

"To the TSSAA it's all about money, and I don't care if you quote me on this ?— I'm tired of it."

Last season only two of the eight A-AA state tournament teams were public schools and both were shut out by private schools in the first round of the tournament. Since soccer has been broken up into classifications, private schools have won the A-AA state title 10 of 13 years, including all of the past six.

"You bust your butt, and it's the same thing every year," Mosely said. "I'm not dissing (CAK), they're great and it's great for

them, but you start wondering ?— are you playing every year just for sub-state?"

Next year it might not even be that good for Pigeon Forge.

With the restructuring of districts and regions under the new classifications, CAK will be a region opponent.

"Things change next year," Mosely said. "Districts change, regions change ?— CAK's in our region next year ?— but we're going to work hard next year, and we're going to try to do our best. That's all you can ask."

Saturday's game wasn't really close.

CAK was up 2-0 by half, and if it weren't for a few nifty defensive plays the score could have been worse for the Tigers.

The Warriors went on a shooting frenzy early in the game's second half, only to have their blasts sail over the crossbar or wide.

The team still managed to maintain possession for probably 80 percent of the half.

Finally CAK tacked on their third goal of the game with about 20 minutes left, and added another for good measure with 12:30 to go.

The loss ended the season for Pigeon Forge.

"I have one senior on this team, it's Shane Omer, and he'll always be a part of the team," Mosely said. "I hope he knows that, and I appreciate his leadership."

CAK advances to the A-AA state tournament with the win.

mpsports@themountainpress.com