Southeast Regional weigh in (one weigh in)

rgalvan

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think most of the kids already knew this. That is standard procedure for USAW at Regionals.

I was actually the one who brought it to the attention of the tournament director and the guys at gnwa.

i think the question that arose was that some thought the greco kids have the advantage because after they weigh-in they can eat whereas the kids doing freestyle only have to weigh in later and keep their weight down until then.

i think the question that arose was that some thought the greco kids have the advantage because after they weigh-in they can eat whereas the kids doing freestyle only have to weigh in later and keep their weight down until then.

While I see their point there are a couple of important things to keep in mind:

1) the kids wrestling Greco will have already competed in another tournament. After those "extra" matches they are likely not to be as fresh as the freestyle guys.

2) the other kids always had the option of doing Greco so they chose this for themselves

3) this actually should encourage kids to give Greco a try which is always a positive in my book

I posted the same thoughts over at gnwa. Of course no matter what you do people will complain.

If anyone wants some very strong competition on the same weekend skip the Southeast Regional & make the drive to Columbus, OH and wrestle in the Central Regional.

Impossible unless you are a Junior or Cadet because all regional entrants in the kids divisions must be from the area represented by that regional. This was a recent change by USAW.

If you look at the junior division, where kids from other areas are allowed to enter, I see several from Illinois and a couple from Minnesota, New York, PA, and New Jersey. I haven't really looked through the Cadet entries.

No doubt you will come back and say that some are here because the SE Regional is seen as an easier qualifier for Fargo and that may be true but there will still be some very good competition here.

Impossible unless you are a Junior or Cadet because all regional entrants in the kids divisions must be from the area represented by that regional. This was a recent change by USAW.

If you look at the junior division, where kids from other areas are allowed to enter, I see several from Illinois and a couple from Minnesota, New York, PA, and New Jersey. I haven't really looked through the Cadet entries.

No doubt you will come back and say that some are here because the SE Regional is seen as an easier qualifier for Fargo and that may be true but there will still be some very good competition here.

SER will be very tough! i know GA will be represented well! FL will be tough as well and don't be surprised if you see Wade Schalles (spelling?) in the corner of the FL boys, he was last year. SER will be tough and you will definately come back a better wrestler after competing in it!

SER will be very tough! i know GA will be represented well! FL will be tough as well and don't be surprised if you see Wade Schalles (spelling?) in the corner of the FL boys, he was last year. SER will be tough and you will definately come back a better wrestler after competing in it!

Are you saying that the Florida, GA, Tennessee, Alabama, NC, SC, etc... wrestlers are as tough as the wrestlers from Ohio, IL, Michigan, Indiana, etc...????? While there are exceptions everywhere most of the state champions from the Southeast would have a difficult time placing in the top 4 of the Ohio state tournament. JMO, but the Spring & Summer is the time to learn and most wrestlers learn more from a defeat than they do from a win. With that being said if our good wrestlers want to get better and face some of the very best kids in the USA they should have gone to the central regional instead of the southeast regional.

Are you saying that the Florida, GA, Tennessee, Alabama, NC, SC, etc... wrestlers are as tough as the wrestlers from Ohio, IL, Michigan, Indiana, etc...????? While there are exceptions everywhere most of the state champions from the Southeast would have a difficult time placing in the top 4 of the Ohio state tournament. JMO, but the Spring & Summer is the time to learn and most wrestlers learn more from a defeat than they do from a win. With that being said if our good wrestlers want to get better and face some of the very best kids in the USA they should have gone to the central regional instead of the southeast regional.

Before giving speeches on how tough it is at the Central Regional...go do your homework! The number of competitors was much, much smaller in the Central Region...one wrestler in the Junior 119 lbs greco bracket, three wrestlers in the Junior 135 bracket...poor attendance would be a mild statement. Also most of the big names did not attend. The Southeast Region had 1400 entries this year (up 150 from last year). Our club attended tournaments in Indiana, etc. this year and while great competition (that is why we go), the broad overstatements like couldn't place in top 4 is overdone. The Southeast Region will as always place a number of guys at Fargo (top 8 in the country, not just Ohio). TN usually has at least one placer as well.

why do you always put down the south? can't you just be happy for the guys that are wrestling and trying to better themselves ? i am sure that there are some wretlers up north that couldn't place in our top 4 either. are you on some kind of medication, that makes you this way, if so never mind.