Unicoi County vs Goodpasture

doodle_bug_1111

fastpitchdad,

No one here is asking you to respect Unicoi Co. because of one game. You obviously don't get out of your area much either. You don't know where Unicoi Co. has played this year or against whom. You don't even know what conference they play in. Here's a hint: it's not the Upper Pioneer Valley conference. The U has played in some quality tournaments both in & out of the state of tn. against quality opponents, some of whom were nationally ranked. You obviously believe that just because they haven't traveled to the Chattanooga or Nashville area every year that they don't deserve respect. Why don't you guys come on up past Knoxville & play & then at least you will know something about your opponents. Maybe that way you can learn to respect someone besides yourself.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game does not surprise me one bit. Goodpasture was vulnerable to a good hitting team. I noticed that when my team played them. We just didn't have the hitting. Goodpasture does not have shutdown pitching and has to rely on defense which has not been a problem for them. If you can keep Cartwright from beating you and have a pitcher that hits her spots the rest of the line-up is not going to beat a good team. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I'll start by saying I am not a huge Unicoi Co. fan, as they are the main District 1 AA rival of my beloved Elizabethton Lady Cyclones in both softball and basketball. However, I do hope they win the state championship for all of Upper East Tennessee. Sorry folks, we east of Knoxville do not really consider Chattanooga to be in East Tennessee. Unicoi Co. has been the premier Upper East AA program for nearly twenty years. They set the standard all of the other teams strive for. I am not sure this is actually their best team. Normally they have two or three state level pitchers and a lineup full of big bats. This year, Woods carries all of the pitching load and they lack the team power of many of their past teams. However, they play great defense and get timely hits. I hope they win it all. Their middle school program is also awesome, so the success will not end anytime soon. They also have a very good basketball program, though Elizabethton and South Greene have had more success lately. We may be up here in the mountains, but do not underestimate the quality of a Unicoi Co. softball team or an Elizabethton or South Greene hoops team! You better bring your "A" game, strap it on, and be ready for a "Hillbilly Cat Fight"! Being a Hillbilly, I can say that!

This game does not surprise me one bit. Goodpasture was vulnerable to a good hitting team. I noticed that when my team played them. We just didn't have the hitting. Goodpasture does not have shutdown pitching and has to rely on defense which has not been a problem for them. If you can keep Cartwright from beating you and have a pitcher that hits her spots the rest of the line-up is not going to beat a good team. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

/roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> Apparently, you've not seen Goodpasture play much 'cause 90% of what you've said ain't even close to correct. Or, you've probably seen one bad game...and they don't have many of those.

I guess time'll tell. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

My thoughts exactly!!!

However id watch out for both Cartwright's & the third baseman can be a pain to get out too. In my opinion pitching is their weakest link.

My thoughts exactly!!!

However id watch out for both Cartwright's & the third baseman can be a pain to get out too. In my opinion pitching is their weakest link.

/rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Everybody has one, I suppose, but this girl is only a sophomore and lost, what, 2 games??? /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Go 'head on, Chey!

fastpitchdad,

No one here is asking you to respect Unicoi Co. because of one game. You obviously don't get out of your area much either. You don't know where Unicoi Co. has played this year or against whom. You don't even know what conference they play in. Here's a hint: it's not the Upper Pioneer Valley conference. The U has played in some quality tournaments both in & out of the state of tn. against quality opponents, some of whom were nationally ranked. You obviously believe that just because they haven't traveled to the Chattanooga or Nashville area every year that they don't deserve respect. Why don't you guys come on up past Knoxville & play & then at least you will know something about your opponents. Maybe that way you can learn to respect someone besides yourself.

You are wrong about not gettnig out of "my area." We played in the Morristown tournament this year and that is "up past Knoxville." We also played in the Soddy and MTSCA (Clarksville) Tournaments this year. We travel out of our area on a regular basis. It would be very easy to stay within a 30-40 mile radius of our school for tournaments but Coach chooses not to. Look it's nothing personal, but to gain the respect of areas outside of upper East TN you need venture outside of your area.

Good luck to all!

/rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" /> Everybody has one, I suppose, but this girl is only a sophomore and lost, what, 2 games??? /huh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":huh:" border="0" alt="huh.gif" />

Go 'head on, Chey!

I think its 3 now that UC did it last night.... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> She is a good pitcher dont get me wrong but you could stick any above average pitcher in her place & things would not change one bit. The defence & Cartwright makes GP the powerhouse that they are.

I think its 3 now that UC did it last night.... /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" /> She is a good pitcher dont get me wrong but you could stick any above average pitcher in her place & things would not change one bit. The defence & Cartwright makes GP the powerhouse that they are.

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. Can you name 'em?

My thoughts exactly!!!

yes the third baseman can be difficult to get out but a good coach could easily spot a weakness in her. They have an very strong defense that rarely makes mistakes which makes it where the pitching does not have to dominate. Without Kelsey this team does not compete for state this year. She is the main reason this team is good. She makes them better not only because she is extremely talented but she is a great leader and knows what to do in any situation. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I don't think so, but I could be wrong. Can you name 'em?

Hmmmm, Im not a GP follower but ill give it a shot. Acording to GP schedule they are 41-4-1. Looks like i missed one. Not being a GP follower it is possibel that someone else pitched 1 or 2 of these games but for the sake of argument here ya go.......

Mar. 17 Huntsville (AL) N Nike Gulf Coast Classic L 0-1

Mar. 18 Oak Mountain (Al) N Nike Gulf Coast Classic L 0-3

Apr. 18 #1 Trinity Christian N Franklin/Sonic Championship L 0-1

Thu May. 21 #1 Unicoi Co. N Class AA State 5PM at Mboro Starplex L 1-2

The tie came was Apr. 11 Mercy Academy (Ga) N Soddy Daisy Classic T 2-2

/roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflolk.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflolk:" border="0" alt="roflolk.gif" /> Apparently, you've not seen Goodpasture play much 'cause 90% of what you've said ain't even close to correct. Or, you've probably seen one bad game...and they don't have many of those.

I guess time'll tell. /popcorneater.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":popcorneater:" border="0" alt="popcorneater.gif" />

I have seen them play and they played very well. Their pitching does not dominate but relys on a defense that doesn't make mistakes which is not a problem and a good pitcher could easily work her way through that line-up other than Cartwright. The rest of the batters might put up one run on a solid team like Unicoi, but if you take Kelsey Cartwright out of that dugout Goodpasture is not the same team and in my opinion does not compete for state. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />