Greenfield Yellowjackets '09

volfan007

I would like to hear what yall have to say about the Jackets this year. I do know that our line will be bigger. It will be anchored by Big Mac Chris McMullen and Brodie Cogburn. There will be a lot of SR linemen this year.

We have some fast tailbacks ready to run in Tyler Dunning and Stephen Sawyers. Tyler Dunning will be a SR, and Sawyers will be a Jr.

We have a hard hitting QB in Ty Smithson...back for his Sr year. I wish that he'd play defense. This kid loves to hit, and he can make some big hits.

We have a good Coach in Jason Rodehaver, and looks like he will finally have more help this year. That's good. It's hard to Coach a football team when all you have is volunteers to help you. Thanks to the volunteers, but a football team needs more than that. It looks like they have help coming.

We also have a talented bunch of Sophomores, who will be Jr's for football season. They will contribute much this coming football season.

I'm excited about the season. I'm hoping that we can at least have a winning record and make the playoffs.

What do yall think?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll comment, to say thanks for an insightful post on Yellowjacket football.

Leading rusher, QB and leading tackler return. Bigger line. Young talent. Good coach.

On paper, Greenfield looks like the third best 1A team in this district behind Union City and Lake Co. Tough for the Jackets to beat those two and Humboldt. Games vs. Peabody, Halls and South Fulton look to be winnable. Saw where they have Bruceton in non-district action, probably a win. That leaves three other non-district games. Any idea on who those opponents are? (Gleason, Dresden maybe)

The talent is there for Greenfield to be a contender. They will have to be strong down the stretch, though. After barely missing out on the playoffs for two years, maybe this is their season for a postseason trip.

Is nobody gonna comment?

Sounds like Greenfield should have a good chance for the playoffs..I imagine most people aren't sure of how many staters the Jackets lost..I'm in the dark about Greenfiels just about like I am with Lake Co..Most years I know if we are loaded or if we lose a lot..not this year..I know Lake Co lost their main two players..I know that will hurt but not sure to what extent..With a new coach..not sure about the offense..So hopefully both Greenfield and Lake Co will grab a playoff spot..!

I believe the other non district games are with West Carroll and Gleason. So, in the district, we have Humboldt, UC, Lake Co, Halls, S. Fulton, and Trenton. The non district games will be Gleason, W. Carroll, Bruceton, and Dresden.

The games against Lake Co., Halls, S. Fulton, and Trenton are games that we could win in the district. It will be very difficult to beat UC and Humboldt.

All of the non district games are winnable. Not saying that we're gonna beat all of these teams, but they are games that we could win.

So, 6-4, or 7-3 are not out of the question. Does that get us into the playoffs?

Bigster, we lost Chase McMullen the all state linebacker, and we lost Daniel Ricketts the 6'3" WR who made so many circus catches. We also lost a couple of starting linemen. They will all be hard to replace...especially Chase and Daniel. But, we have a lot of good, young talent who will be Jr.'s this year.

Whats amazing to me is everyone automatically counts Halls out. If I remember correctly we beat greenfield and Lake Co both last year. Halls 33-Greenfield 0 Halls 38- Lake Co 32 also Halls is returning at least 14-15 seniors off that team. So before you start counting wins against teams you might need to research each one before you upset a team that physically dominated your team last year..

Nobody is counting Halls out. Who said that? All I said was that some teams were winnable games for Greenfield. I didnt say that we would beat them, nor that they were automatic wins. I said that they were winnable games. Humboldt is a game that we would have to play inspired, flawless football with a lot of breaks to win. But, W. Carroll and Bruceton and Halls are games that we COULD win, imho.

Plus, Halls lost thier QB, who was the main reason that Halls moved the ball like they did last year. I know that yall will be a pretty good team. Of course, our JV team beat yall like 16-0 last year. I know that that was a JV game, but that's also future players...future as in '09....this coming year.

Nobody is counting Halls out. Who said that? All I said was that some teams were winnable games for Greenfield. I didnt say that we would beat them, nor that they were automatic wins. I said that they were winnable games. Humboldt is a game that we would have to play inspired, flawless football with a lot of breaks to win. But, W. Carroll and Bruceton and Halls are games that we COULD win, imho.

Plus, Halls lost thier QB, who was the main reason that Halls moved the ball like they did last year. I know that yall will be a pretty good team. Of course, our JV team beat yall like 16-0 last year. I know that that was a JV game, but that's also future players...future as in '09....this coming year.

That JV game we played had actually nobody playing that played any on friday nights. We will see what happens

I just stopped by to see what the buzz was on Greenfield and honestly have seen very good positive posts made about their upcoming season. I've personally seen no "will wins" but, a couple of "uh oh's" and several could or should wins. Nothing out of line at all. The loss of McMullen will definitely be a setback in team morale that someone will have to step in and pick up that slack now. Ricketts was a monster big play threat at all times and another big loss.

But, programs rise from the ashes every season and maybe this will be the season for the 'Jackets to do that????

Good luck Greenfield from M-town.

Duckman,

Chase McMullen and Daniel Ricketts will be sorely missed..no doubt. But, overall, I believe our team has improved. The line is bigger and deeper. The backs are older. Our QB is senior. We have a talented group of juniors. Most of the people in Greenfield have been waiting for this group to reach thier junior and senior years. They have a lot of athletic ability, and they know sports and have a strong desire to win. So, we're enthusiastic about the next couple of years for football, basketball, and baseball...especially baseball.

BTW, from what I understand, UTM coaches have taken a look at Chris "Big Mac" McMullen in practice at DT. They left very, very, very impressed. Chris is the cousin of Chase McMullen.