Next Year

govols10

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

steven gant from riverside, he shut fcs down in the state tournament and then pitched 8 innings in the state championship against summertown, he's definitely going to be one to watch.

And then made a comment on jacksonsun.com that said the kid that got the game winning hit off him was lucky and he didn't even see it coming!? What's up with that?

And then made a comment on jacksonsun.com that said the kid that got the game winning hit off him was lucky and he didn't even see it coming!? What's up with that?

So he has a 20 year old arm. But remember he is still 15 or 16 years old. Young people say the darnest things

out of the mouths of babes..................usually comes the truth. You interview a kid immediately after losing the biggest game of the year and you expect him to just say great game for both teams??? Come on. The kid pitched his #### off and pitched around some late mistakes. The batter had struck out each time he faced Gant. It was a cheap hit and a lucky break for him. TheGant kid was on one days rest and handled Summertown all game. You want him to be humble and politically correct or competitively honest?????

out of the mouths of babes..................usually comes the truth. You interview a kid immediately after losing the biggest game of the year and you expect him to just say great game for both teams??? Come on. The kid pitched his #### off and pitched around some late mistakes. The batter had struck out each time he faced Gant. It was a cheap hit and a lucky break for him. Gant kid was on one days rest and handled Summertown all game. You want him to be humble and politically correct or honest?????

He handled Summertown with a little help from the ump, until last two innings when the ump started calling it a little tighter. Several Summertown kids were punched out on balls 6-8 inches off the plate. When the strike zone shrunk a bit to where the pitches were over the plate, Summertown started hitting. The kid was good but was he better than than Harvile (the Summertown pitcher)? Look at the hits given up in the box score. Summertown can hit, dont take that away from them. The performance of the Summertown pitcher was equally or maybe even more increadible as he got the win. Making statements as such does nothing but make those making them appear to be bad sports and sore losers.

He handled Summertown with a little help from the ump, until last two innings when the ump started calling it a little tighter. Several Summertown kids were punched out on balls 6-8 inches off the plate. When the strike zone shrunk a bit to where the pitches were over the plate, Summertown started hitting. The kid was good but was he better than than Harvile (the Summertown pitcher)? Look at the hits given up in the box score. Summertown can hit, dont take that away from them. The performance of the Summertown pitcher was equally or maybe even more increadible as he got the win. Making statements as such does nothing but make those making them appear to be bad sports and sore losers.

OMG! You need to re-read the post you replied to. Had nothing to do with balls and strikes. Had to do with the type of hit that won the game. This time read it with an analytical mind. If you want to go with "The ump is blind" theory be my guest! BTW-when the coaches change the catcher in the last inning, ball and strikes look different to an ump every catcher is different. Not saying summertown can't hit just that they didn't do any damage early. I don't think the comments made had anything to do with bad sports or sore losers. Just frustration and a competitive young man. He was interviewed at a very emotional time. What do you expect.................a prepared statement????!!!

Look, both of these teams can hit. If not they would not be in the state c-ship game. Then you add a ump, (as you said) who was making them throw right across the middle of the plate. Well they should hit the ball out of the park , everytime. Sounds to me like the hit that won the game was a blop, just over the infield. Not a bad hit for a pitch that you said was being put on a tee for the batter by the ump. Then, you ask a 15 year old what he thinks 10 min. after he just lost the state on a blop hit. Give me a break. Its been three days and your still whinning about the umps strike zone. Just think what you would have said, if you had lost, and a reporter would have stuck a mike in your face, Great win, and you guys have a great team. Just get a clue about teenagers. Thanks

Look, both of these teams can hit. If not they would not be in the state c-ship game. Then you add a ump, (as you said) who was making them throw right across the middle of the plate. Well they should hit the ball out of the park , everytime. Sounds to me like the hit that won the game was a blop, just over the infield. Not a bad hit for a pitch that you said was being put on a tee for the batter by the ump. Then, you ask a 15 year old what he thinks 10 min. after he just lost the state on a blop hit. Give me a break. Its been three days and your still whinning about the umps strike zone. Just think what you would have said, if you had lost, and a reporter would have stuck a mike in your face, Great win, and you guys have a great team. Just get a clue about teenagers. Thanks

Well said "wad".

OMG! You need to re-read the post you replied to. Had nothing to do with balls and strikes. Had to do with the type of hit that won the game. This time read it with an analytical mind. If you want to go with "The ump is blind" theory be my guest! BTW-when the coaches change the catcher in the last inning, ball and strikes look different to an ump every catcher is different. Not saying summertown can't hit just that they didn't do any damage early. I don't think the comments made had anything to do with bad sports or sore losers. Just frustration and a competitive young man. He was interviewed at a very emotional time. What do you expect.................a prepared statement????!!!

Maybe I was a bit unclear. My sore loser comment wasnt directed at Gant, but at you. My intent was to counter your "out of the mouths of babes usually comes the truth" comment. Just leave Gant's comment alone and it will go away, everyone knows he is a kid. All the kids were and are competitive or they would not have been there. Maybe it is news to you or maybe you dont care but I bet even the kid that got the so called "lucky" hit is competitive. No need for you to demean him by saying the winning hit was cheap and a lucky break for him. The ump was a major reason that Gant "handled Summertown all game". Summertown didnt do damage early as no one can hit a kid that good when they are forced to cover pitches that far off the corner. Gant was very good. I give him all the credit by taking what the ump gave him and hitting spots consistently. The catcher may very well have been the enabler and the difference in the game, he was a very good receiver. When the zone started tightening up (possibly because the new catcher was setting up differently) Summertown started putting the bat on the ball and loaded the bases twice. You called it a cheap hit and lucky break for the hitter, that is crap. There is no need for you to make those comments.

Maybe I was a bit unclear. My sore loser comment wasnt directed at Gant, but at you. My intent was to counter your "out of the mouths of babes usually comes the truth" comment. Just leave Gant's comment alone and it will go away, everyone knows he is a kid. All the kids were and are competitive or they would not have been there. Maybe it is news to you or maybe you dont care but I bet even the kid that got the so called "lucky" hit is competitive. No need for you to demean him by saying the winning hit was cheap and a lucky break for him. The ump was a major reason that Gant "handled Summertown all game". Summertown didnt do damage early as no one can hit a kid that good when they are forced to cover pitches that far off the corner. Gant was very good. I give him all the credit by taking what the ump gave him and hitting spots consistently. The catcher may very well have been the enabler and the difference in the game, he was a very good receiver. When the zone started tightening up (possibly because the new catcher was setting up differently) Summertown started putting the bat on the ball and loaded the bases twice. You called it a cheap hit and lucky break for the hitter, that is crap. There is no need for you to make those comments.

So basically you are saying Summertown wasn't hitting until the ump started squeezing Gant. When he was making great pitches and hitting his spots he was un-hittable. Is that it? Be honest and give Gant the credit he is due. I was right behind the plate and Gant was hitting his spots all game. Nothing that was called a strike was "6-8 inches" off the plate. In fact the summertown pitcher was hitting some of the same spots as Gant. Don't try to take away from two great pitching performances. Talk about a sore winner!! Anyone that knows baseball know that a blooper over the infielder is referred to as a cheap hit. Of course this one was the game winning hit. So congrats on getting the job done. Even you should admit, the ball was not hit hard just out of reach of the infielder. Anyway stop your whining , you won. We will definitely see you next year!