Next Year

govols10

Maybe I was a bit unclear. My sore loser comment wasnt directed at Gant, but at you. My intent was to counter your "out of the mouths of babes usually comes the truth" comment. Just leave Gant's comment alone and it will go away, everyone knows he is a kid. All the kids were and are competitive or they would not have been there. Maybe it is news to you or maybe you dont care but I bet even the kid that got the so called "lucky" hit is competitive. No need for you to demean him by saying the winning hit was cheap and a lucky break for him. The ump was a major reason that Gant "handled Summertown all game". Summertown didnt do damage early as no one can hit a kid that good when they are forced to cover pitches that far off the corner. Gant was very good. I give him all the credit by taking what the ump gave him and hitting spots consistently. The catcher may very well have been the enabler and the difference in the game, he was a very good receiver. When the zone started tightening up (possibly because the new catcher was setting up differently) Summertown started putting the bat on the ball and loaded the bases twice. You called it a cheap hit and lucky break for the hitter, that is crap. There is no need for you to make those comments.

PS the "Out of the mouths of babes usually comes the truth" comment was not meant to be antagonistic. I meant it to mean Gant said honestly, off the top of his head, what he was feeling at the time. So stop taking everything so seriously. Get a grip.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So basically you are saying Summertown wasn't hitting until the ump started squeezing Gant. When he was making great pitches and hitting his spots he was un-hittable. Is that it? Be honest and give Gant the credit he is due. I was right behind the plate and Gant was hitting his spots all game. Nothing that was called a strike was "6-8 inches" off the plate. In fact the summertown pitcher was hitting some of the same spots as Gant. Don't try to take away from two great pitching performances. Talk about a sore winner!! Anyone that knows baseball know that a blooper over the infielder is referred to as a cheap hit. Of course this one was the game winning hit. So congrats on getting the job done. Even you should admit, the ball was not hit hard just out of reach of the infielder. Anyway stop your whining , you won. We will definitely see you next year!

I gave Gant credit, read the post! If you call enforcing the proper strike zone squeezing then I agree with you. When the ump started enforcing a proper strike zone Summertown started hitting, as they have done all year off of other great pitchers. I sat in the second section right behind the plate, some of those strike calls were definately at least 8 inches off the corner.

Anyway, dont try to justify the ill advised comments of frustrated teenager by taking away from the acomplishments of another on a board that is as widely read as this. That is what you did in your original post by calling in a cheap hit and lucky break for the hitter. If I remember correctly, the hitter fowled off a couple pitches and battled with two strikes, then took a pitch through the hole between 1st and 2nd, it was a ground ball not a blooper over the infield. Most would call that a great piece of hitting, not you, you called it a lucky hit. Someone should take this opportuntiy to teach the kid some discretion when making comments. If he plays long enough, and it appears he is destined to play post high school baseball, I dare say he will encounter another situation where he gives up a game winning hit. In baseball, as in life, things dont always go your way. How those situations are handled determines how successful one will be. Confidence is a good thing, so is Humility.

So basically you are saying Summertown wasn't hitting until the ump started squeezing Gant. When he was making great pitches and hitting his spots he was un-hittable. Is that it? Be honest and give Gant the credit he is due. I was right behind the plate and Gant was hitting his spots all game. Nothing that was called a strike was "6-8 inches" off the plate. In fact the summertown pitcher was hitting some of the same spots as Gant. Don't try to take away from two great pitching performances. Talk about a sore winner!! Anyone that knows baseball know that a blooper over the infielder is referred to as a cheap hit. Of course this one was the game winning hit. So congrats on getting the job done. Even you should admit, the ball was not hit hard just out of reach of the infielder. Anyway stop your whining , you won. We will definitely see you next year!

Well said.

He handled Summertown with a little help from the ump, until last two innings when the ump started calling it a little tighter. Several Summertown kids were punched out on balls 6-8 inches off the plate. When the strike zone shrunk a bit to where the pitches were over the plate, Summertown started hitting. The kid was good but was he better than than Harvile (the Summertown pitcher)? Look at the hits given up in the box score. Summertown can hit, dont take that away from them. The performance of the Summertown pitcher was equally or maybe even more increadible as he got the win. Making statements as such does nothing but make those making them appear to be bad sports and sore losers.

You were doing good until you brought up the umpire's strike zone.

6 - 8 inches off the corner? No way. I had a much better look than you did.

The plate umpire is a well respected umpire that works both high school and college, including SEC. His zone was consistant throughout the game.

I gave Gant credit, read the post! If you call enforcing the proper strike zone squeezing then I agree with you. When the ump started enforcing a proper strike zone Summertown started hitting, as they have done all year off of other great pitchers. I sat in the second section right behind the plate, some of those strike calls were definately at least 8 inches off the corner.

Anyway, dont try to justify the ill advised comments of frustrated teenager by taking away from the acomplishments of another on a board that is as widely read as this. That is what you did in your original post by calling in a cheap hit and lucky break for the hitter. If I remember correctly, the hitter fowled off a couple pitches and battled with two strikes, then took a pitch through the hole between 1st and 2nd, it was a ground ball not a blooper over the infield. Most would call that a great piece of hitting, not you, you called it a lucky hit. Someone should take this opportuntiy to teach the kid some discretion when making comments. If he plays long enough, and it appears he is destined to play post high school baseball, I dare say he will encounter another situation where he gives up a game winning hit. In baseball, as in life, things dont always go your way. How those situations are handled determines how successful one will be. Confidence is a good thing, so is Humility.

I'm sure that he will be told by his coach if not his parents that most people can't stand to hear the truth, so sugar coat everything so you don't step on anyones toes. Have a happy memorial day and go grill something!!

I'm sure that he will be told by his coach if not his parents that most people can't stand to hear the truth, so sugar coat everything so you don't step on anyones toes. Have a happy memorial day and go grill something!!

Note to Mr. Gant, Remember your quotes so all these older people will shut up.

1. Just glad to be here, hope I can help the team.

2. We worked as hard as we could, Just came up a little short today.

3. Today was a hard loss, But we will regroup and work harder.

4. I'm just glad we made it this far.

5. We had fun out there today.

Ect....

Would that work for you.

You were doing good until you brought up the umpire's strike zone.

6 - 8 inches off the corner? No way. I had a much better look than you did.

The plate umpire is a well respected umpire that works both high school and college, including SEC. His zone was consistant throughout the game.

Consistantly wide until the last 2 innings when he shrunk his zone to "typical".

It doesn't matter what level he works, he definitely had a case of the "Eric Greggs". (see 1997 NLCS Game 5)