4th BLOCK ATHLETICS--OPINIONS

sball23

That help(s) I guess, but I never said credits. What you have are total number of classes. Any moron can see that a block has more time built into it than a period and that they shouldn't be equal. That's not the correlation I was trying to make. I am wondering how a student gets more opportunities to take different courses in block though since there are 16 fewer scheduled classroom times.

Two things. If the 6 period system does not allow for the same amount of credits as the block system..............why would anyone use it? The school days have the same amount of minutes in each of them whether it's periods or blocks. If both systems require the same amount of credit hours, how can one allow for free time and the other not?

I agree that athletics is secondary to the education, but my point is if there is free time within the system, why not schedule that time so that it doesn't interfere with the classwork. I mean, if you have to travel for a basketball jv game or a baseball/softball game, you're leaving school early. Sometimes right after lunch. If that time can be scheduled so that it's free time, why not take advantage of that rather than schedule study halls 1st period let's say and geometry 6th period?

It's not logical to assume that a 6th period study hall will actually be used to study or that the student couldn't study just as well at home or at the library. When the kids get to college, they aren't going to make them sit in a classroom doing nothing when they aren't in class. Make efficient use of the time that you have. This isn't rocket science.

A seven period schedule is a year long class, block are semester class. A seven period schedule only allows 7 classes a year, block allows 8. Now what is often overlooked is the down time; 7 periods = 6 class changes (wasting about 40 minutes a day walking to classes) Block = 3 class changes (wasting about 20 minutes).

If a kid is going sit in a PE class, you might as well organize it get the team together and get the kids home earlier. The problem come with guidance, some guidance departments do not want to put the time in to make this happen; these are the schools (coaches) that complain.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schools that have 4th block "athletics" are not allowed any more practice time than other schools. They cannot have practice during that time until the practice date set by TSSAA. Before the practice date they can lift weights and condition only. No organized practice is allowed during non-practice dates.

A seven period schedule is a year long class, block are semester class. A seven period schedule only allows 7 classes a year, block allows 8. Now what is often overlooked is the down time; 7 periods = 6 class changes (wasting about 40 minutes a day walking to classes) Block = 3 class changes (wasting about 20 minutes).

If a kid is going sit in a PE class, you might as well organize it get the team together and get the kids home earlier. The problem come with guidance, some guidance departments do not want to put the time in to make this happen; these are the schools (coaches) that complain.

I don't know the answer to this---how much time are they "wasting" with block classes that last hour and half. I don't think the attention span of teenagers will last that long. I remember the hour and half classes in college and the tendancy to check out after an hour. If your argument is that they have 20 minutes more per day not "wasted" by changing classes, I would just bet that at least 20 minutes is lost in classes that are too long. Just a thought.

I don't know the answer to this---how much time are they "wasting" with block classes that last hour and half. I don't think the attention span of teenagers will last that long. I remember the hour and half classes in college and the tendancy to check out after an hour. If your argument is that they have 20 minutes more per day not "wasted" by changing classes, I would just bet that at least 20 minutes is lost in classes that are too long. Just a thought.

Yes, I do remember block scheduling. Those were the days. Teacher would lecture or give us an assignment and then we would spend quality time sleeping for the last hour. Wow, I even graduated college with a degree. Taking 3 classes a day for a total of 3 hours with 15 minutes in between was awsume. I even had time for naps during the day. Yes, those were the days. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

There are good arguements for and against block vs periods.

However since the TN Dept of Education does not allow any credits for athletic participation, the 4th block athletics will not work for the multi sport athlete.

In a block schedule a student can earn 4 credits per semester x 2 semester = 8 per yr x 4 yrs = 32 credits.

If a student athlete has one semester of 4th block athletics througout their high school career then they are still OK in that they can earn 28 credits, which is still enough to graduate.

However if they have 4 block athletics all year (spring-fall/winter athlete) then they can only get 24 credits which is not enough to graduate. (3 credits per semester x 2 semester = 6 per yr x 4 = 24 credits.)

My issue is with the TN Dept of Education.

Why would they not allow PE credits for a student-athlete playing football, baseball, softball, basketball, volleyball, track, soccer, tennis, etc.

In most all cases they are working harder physically than most normal PE classes. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

here is my thing with having a class that is part of the kids schedule....most student athletes are at school from 7-8 in the morning til 5 during the off season and during the season they dont get home til about 10. If they dont allow the kids to start practice an hour early (during school time)that will just get them home even later while they are students first some kids the only thing keeping them in high school is sports so dont add to the day more than what they already have

For clarification, I'd use the last period for athletics as a way to keep the kids in the classroom more, not less. Out of season, it could be weight training, conditioning or open facilities. I also agree that you couldn't have the free period every semester of your high school career. Mostly upper classmen that have loaded up on credits will have the free time. Those that don't, won't.

I went to a 7 period high school, my kids go to a 4 block high school. There's pros and cons to both. If you can't sit in a classroom for an hour and a half, you're going to have a tough time in college on the Tuesday/Thursday rotation and an even harder time sitting in an 8 to 5 job. My kids liked the block for the one on one time they would get from a good teacher. I liked the period schedule because it included a study hall and I could get all of my school work for the day taken care of in study hall for the most part. I did have 1st period study hall one year and wondered why I couldn't just show up to school an hour later. My guess, is whatever you are exposed to is what you like and there's not really a nickel's worth of difference if the format is embraced by the students and the teachers.

There is a system out there that splits the last block of the day into two year long periods; called singleton? We are trying it next year. Year long athletic PE with the opportunity to get 7 academic credits per year as well. No way will make everyone happy. We try to conform to everyone now and that is the problem. Our kids see the adults in their lives complain, protest, and pass blame so much we now have a "no fault" generation. Be happy sports are still in school. Its bad enough nap time has been taken out of kindergarten!

This coming year is going to be tough to have an athletic period in schools because the upcoming freshmen will have new graduation requirements. The TN Department of Education has made it mandatory that a student have 4 years of math, 4 years of science (with one being Physics), 4 years of english, 2 years of foreign language, 4 years of social studies, personal finance class, and some other things. With these requirements put into play, there will be little to no time for a athletic period. Not exactly sure how many credits you have to have to graduate with this new things put into play, but it seems like they are cutting out any time for electives or sports periods.

However since the TN Dept of Education does not allow any credits for athletic participation, the 4th block athletics will not work for the multi sport athlete.

In a block schedule a student can earn 4 credits per semester x 2 semester = 8 per yr x 4 yrs = 32 credits.

If a student athlete has one semester of 4th block athletics througout their high school career then they are still OK in that they can earn 28 credits, which is still enough to graduate.

However if they have 4 block athletics all year (spring-fall/winter athlete) then they can only get 24 credits which is not enough to graduate. (3 credits per semester x 2 semester = 6 per yr x 4 = 24 credits.)

Why would they not allow PE credits for a student-athlete playing football, baseball, softball, basketball, volleyball, track, soccer, tennis, etc.

In most all cases they are working harder physically than most normal PE classes. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

In Houston County our kids still had athletics 4th block this year. during basketball season, the 9 week period before christmas and the 9 week period after were for basketball. They earned half a credit each 9 week period. the other two 9 week periods the basketball players had PE II. they got a whole credit for those 18 weeks also. The school has always done this, and i'm sure other schools can as well. the athletes will still be eligible to receive 32 credits for the 4 years they are in school.

2 of those credits are PE, it has been this way since Kennedy. Many schools only have team sports one semester, so it is more like 26- 28. Think of all the "Study Hall" class we had in the 7 period classes, I haven seen these in block.