2009 State Cup Girls Results

Out of curiosity, I am not sure what you mean by this, how does that work ?

David

There are several teams that played premier league this year that were not premier league winner after play....however, they are able to go to regionals because the teams above them won their state tournament. Regional tournament is designed for the winner of premier league and for the winner of each state. For example, ERSA at U18 came in 3rd out of 6 teams in premier league but will go to regionals due to the teams above them being state champions.

This issue started a few year ago. It used to be that the top two teams in each state would go to premier league; however, TSSA decided for the past two years to only send the state champ and the next best premier league team. Last year, this hurt two Lobos teams (the '94 and '91 teams) who finished 2nd in the state tournament but were bypassed in going to premier league by TSSA and their "new" rule. All of the other states sent their top two teams after the state tournament except for TN. ERSA has finished 3rd in the state tournament for the past two years but is able to go to premier league/regionals because they finished 2nd in the state three years ago. Confusing, huh?!?!?

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Region III Premier League and TN Soccer has always accepted/sent the first and second place team from the TN State Soccer tournament.

If a team wins Region III Premier League then they have an invitation to play again in the Premier League no matter how they finished in their respective State Cup.

I am not sure why the Lobos did not participate in Region III this past year but I don't believe TN Soccer would deny a team finishing 2nd in State an opportunity to play in the League. That would give us 3 representatives in the Premier League. If TN Soccer is against promoting TN SOCCER then as I said in other posts, we need to possibly look into a change in President and Director.

There are several teams that played premier league this year that were not premier league winner after play....however, they are able to go to regionals because the teams above them won their state tournament. Regional tournament is designed for the winner of premier league and for the winner of each state. For example, ERSA at U18 came in 3rd out of 6 teams in premier league but will go to regionals due to the teams above them being state champions.

This issue started a few year ago. It used to be that the top two teams in each state would go to premier league; however, TSSA decided for the past two years to only send the state champ and the next best premier league team. Last year, this hurt two Lobos teams (the '94 and '91 teams) who finished 2nd in the state tournament but were bypassed in going to premier league by TSSA and their "new" rule. All of the other states sent their top two teams after the state tournament except for TN. ERSA has finished 3rd in the state tournament for the past two years but is able to go to premier league/regionals because they finished 2nd in the state three years ago. Confusing, huh?!?!?

Really not confusing, the goal is to compete for a national title- one way to get there is to win your state tournament or win premier league or get the wild card invite when the premier league teams in front of you win their state title.

ERSA tied for first in the premier league in 2008. Thus earned a trip to regionals. This year they finished third and earned the spot to regionals when the two teams in front of them won their state title- that wild card rule has always been in place.

ERSA's goal was qualify for regionals- the state title was not their objective.

The 92 Lobos certainly benefited by this rule this year- 5th in state and gets its first invite to the regionals.

Out of curiosity, I am not sure what you mean by this, how does that work ?

David

I'll take a shot and then someone who knows can correct me. Three TN U18 teams played in the Premier League competition and Stones River was the champ. Two did not, but played in the State. The Lobos (Memphis) finished 2nd in State but did not play Premier League. The Express '91 Team finished 3rd, but they are going to Regionals in Dallas. Lobos are not. WHY? Because the winner of Premier (Stones River) goes to Regional and the Winner of State goes to Regionals, (Stones River). Since they are one in the same, the 2nd place Premier Team gets to go, Express '91, even thought the Lobos beat them head to head in State. Don't know why Premier takes precedence. Maybe someone can expand.

EDIT NOTE: I guess I failed to hit send this morning when I wrote this and Cleansheet has answered. As his daughter is the beneficiary of the "rule" and mine is not, his cup is half full and mine is half empty....... /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

I'll take a shot and then someone who knows can correct me. Three TN U18 teams played in the Premier League competition and Stones River was the champ. Two did not, but played in the State. The Lobos (Memphis) finished 2nd in State but did not play Premier League. The Express '91 Team finished 3rd, but they are going to Regionals in Dallas. Lobos are not. WHY? Because the winner of Premier (Stones River) goes to Regional and the Winner of State goes to Regionals, (Stones River). Since they are one in the same, the 2nd place Premier Team gets to go, Express '91, even thought the Lobos beat them head to head in State. Don't know why Premier takes precedence. Maybe someone can expand.

EDIT NOTE: I guess I failed to hit send this morning when I wrote this and Cleansheet has answered. As his daughter is the beneficiary of the "rule" and mine is not, his cup is half full and mine is half empty....... /mad.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":angry:" border="0" alt="mad.gif" />

Premier is what it states- Premier.

You are playing teams from thru out the SE- state champs, and previous PL winners- big diference in PL versus State league in terms of competition. Hence PL participation weighs more than State.

FYI- Stones River never won PL. They were part of the tie two years ago with Express and lost out based on GA.

Enjoying my half cup as I write

Region III Premier League and TN Soccer has always accepted/sent the first and second place team from the TN State Soccer tournament.

If a team wins Region III Premier League then they have an invitation to play again in the Premier League no matter how they finished in their respective State Cup.

I am not sure why the Lobos did not participate in Region III this past year but I don't believe TN Soccer would deny a team finishing 2nd in State an opportunity to play in the League. That would give us 3 representatives in the Premier League. If TN Soccer is against promoting TN SOCCER then as I said in other posts, we need to possibly look into a change in President and Director.

I agree that is the way it should be .....however, TN Soccer denied both 2nd place finishers at the 91 and 94 age groups entry into premier league play last year! Both teams had a strong desire to go to premier league and fought TSSA for the right to go. It was quite a controversy as there were other states with three teams in premier league (such as MS at the U16 age group this past year). TSSA made this decision....to several teams detriment! It could have easily have been Lobos with the 3rd place premier league finish going to regional this year had TSSA not changed the typical progression....especially since the Lobos beat ERSA in state tournament play this year....

1. Everyone knew the rules before the season. Congrats to those who advanced. THere is next year to those who did not.

2. Win more than you lose.

3. Getting all the best players does not always equate to a better result, rather a collection of talent. In order to succeed, you will need to form a team with those 11, or should I say, 22? THis usually takes longer than one year. likely 2-3. The merging of the younger teams has greater opportunities for success. If you think you can put 11 players and 22 soccer parents in one room, wait till you try that with 22 players and 44 parents.

4. Congrats to all on a good season.

Premier is what it states- Premier.

You are playing teams from thru out the SE- state champs, and previous PL winners- big diference in PL versus State league in terms of competition. Hence PL participation weighs more than State.

FYI- Stones River never won PL. They were part of the tie two years ago with Express and lost out based on GA.

Enjoying my half cup as I write

I am not arguing that you go down the pecking order in premier league to determine who gets to go after the state champions go...the issue is that Lobos had every right to go to premier league a year ago...however, TSSA denied that right with their "new" rule. This new rule penalized the team from opportunities that they should have had as a TN State finalist.

1. Everyone knew the rules before the season. Congrats to those who advanced. THere is next year to those who did not.

2. Win more than you lose.

3. Getting all the best players does not always equate to a better result, rather a collection of talent. In order to succeed, you will need to form a team with those 11, or should I say, 22? THis usually takes longer than one year. likely 2-3. The merging of the younger teams has greater opportunities for success. If you think you can put 11 players and 22 soccer parents in one room, wait till you try that with 22 players and 44 parents.

4. Congrats to all on a good season.

Me thinks this smells of the discussion about one "TRUE" State High School Champion. One day we argue there should be one and only one, OR only 11 girls on the "TRUE" State Team, but it's ok to have a state champion and a premier champion, but "oh by the way, not all of you can participte because......? Because of what, politics. I don't know and really don't care at this point. Since I don't totally understand the Premier part, let me just say, that A beats B and B beats C, the only fair thing is for C to play A to advance. Point: Lobos beat Express, Express beats a team in GA or AL, Express will represent TN in Regionals, but the Lobos are out. I don't care if 15 teams represent TN and am proud for Express, just not sure TN is being treated fairly or having the best representation, if other states send more teams than we do.

P.S. I did not know the rules going in so this is all new news to me. /hungry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":hungry:" border="0" alt="hungry.gif" />

P.P.S. As you well know, there is not always next year for some. /rolleyes.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":rolleyes:" border="0" alt="rolleyes.gif" />

On the issue of second place state finishers not getting in to Premier League, I think the real truth of rule changes every year is the state organization was favoring teams and the rules a modified to benefit the favored teams. The real disservice is to the kids on the the teams did not get a chance to play in front of the college coaches that attend the premier league games. Looking at both Lobo teams that were excluded they have defeated numerous state champions and teams that play in the Premier League. Why TSSA refused to step up to the plate and either send three teams or the top two finishers to the Premier League is beyond me.

On the issue of second place state finishers not getting in to Premier League, I think the real truth of rule changes every year is the state organization was favoring teams and the rules a modified to benefit the favored teams. The real disservice is to the kids on the the teams did not get a chance to play in front of the college coaches that attend the premier league games. Looking at both Lobo teams that were excluded they have defeated numerous state champions and teams that play in the Premier League. Why TSSA refused to step up to the plate and either send three teams or the top two finishers to the Premier League is beyond me.

Very sad isn't it? However, it was very, very true. And yes, the biggest dis-service is to the players who worked hard for the accomplishment and the opportunity to play premier league and get that important exposure. You would think that they would want to highlight skills of TN teams by sending applications in for all three competitive teams (if the case warranted)...the champion, the finalist, and any premier league team in the running. Mississippi did send in three teams in an at least one age group, and all three teams were accepted and played premier league. However, for some political reason, the state of TN decided to only send two applications in for each age group.

Thanks for your support!

Very sad isn't it? However, it was very, very true. And yes, the biggest dis-service is to the players who worked hard for the accomplishment and the opportunity to play premier league and get that important exposure. You would think that they would want to highlight skills of TN teams by sending applications in for all three competitive teams (if the case warranted)...the champion, the finalist, and any premier league team in the running. Mississippi did send in three teams in an at least one age group, and all three teams were accepted and played premier league. However, for some political reason, the state of TN decided to only send two applications in for each age group.

Thanks for your support!

Not this season, but last season, Tennessee did have 3 teams in the 91 girls R3-Central league. Arkansas is in this league, but sent no one, and TN applied for three teams, Stones River, Brentwood (may be some other Nashville team), and Express. All three teams were accepted in the the Premier League, and played in it that season. Why Tennessee didn't submit 3 teams to play in the RPL this past season is beyond me as in the U18G, Mississippii had no one, and neither did Arkansas.

As far as State goes, the only team that advances to represent the state is the State Champion, which this year in U18G was Stones River. Express did not advance to regionals due to the play at State. Express qualified for regionals by being the highest ranked team based on Regional play that did not also win their State. The Alabama State champion officially won RPL, but since they also won the Alabama State Championship, they advance to Regionals that way. Same for Stones River, that came in second in RPL, but won Tennessee and advanced that way. That left the third place RPL team, Express, to go as the RPL representative. If this wasn't the last year, Stones River would qualify for RPL, and the Lobos should be the 2nd team to qualify for next year.