Preseason All-State

How are you getting Lipscomb position change information, i.e.. the Stevens move to Linebacker hasn't been published anywhere? I don't believe most team parents even know this.

SND

Stevens was a terrific player at DE last year on the opposite side of Hudson. As far as the move to LB...........let's just say it was a great guess. This year Lipscomb loses Saggio, Brewer, and Webb.

I remember when those guys look over at LB after Lipscomb lost the likes of Braden Binkley, Dale Binkley, and Ben Lehning. I remember a nose guard named Mitchell Tenpenny taking over at MLB after Braden Binkley graduated.

If Tenpenny was able to do so then surely Stevens will be able to do so as well. He just struck me as a better athlete then Tenpenny when comparing the two of them based on when we played DL over the last 4 years.

I'll get a chance to see for sure when we scrimmage David Lipscomb later in the fall /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stevens was a terrific player at DE last year on the opposite side of Hudson. As far as the move to LB...........let's just say it was a great guess. This year Lipscomb loses Saggio, Brewer, and Webb.

I remember when those guys look over at LB after Lipscomb lost the likes of Braden Binkley, Dale Binkley, and Ben Lehning. I remember a nose guard named Mitchell Tenpenny taking over at MLB after Braden Binkley graduated.

If Tenpenny was able to do so then surely Stevens will be able to do so as well. He just struck me as a better athlete then Tenpenny when comparing the two of them based on when we played DL over the last 4 years.

I'll get a chance to see for sure when we scrimmage David Lipscomb later in the fall /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Stevens is a really good football player, but to compare he and Tenpenny is a bit unfair. Tenpenny was maybe 5'9" and around 200 lbs. Stevens is 6'1" (maybe towards 6'2") and 235 lbs. Also Officer is very good and will have a much bigger line to run behind. I believe the key will be the emergence of others in the backfield to make sure defenses can't key on him. They both should be considered early favorites to contend for all-state honors.

Anyway, DL will have some others who may get some very good press by the end of the season. John Mark Vanderpoole, who sat out a year after transferring from Brentwood Academy is one heck of an athlete and will play outside LB. Our line will also be bigger than it has been in several years. Lankford who played last year at RT and DE should be really good at DE and (part-time TE) this year. Also Davis Hudson who is 6'1"and 260 lbs will return on the OL. Then Kyle Chester (6'3" and 260 lbs), who saw a decent amount of playing time on the 2007 State Championship team as a sophomore, will be at RT following injuries last year. This is not to mention our guards on the OL will go 245 lbs and 220 lbs instead of 190 and 180 last year. Clark Malloy may surprise a few at QB as well. (Better arm than Simpson in addition to being very smart and tough.) It should be a very interesting year. This team is also a great deal stronger in total than last years team.

SND

Yes he is a man amongst boys out there. I had a chance to see him three times last fall. I watched him in Maplewood's jamboree when they played Antioch. I also saw him in Maplewood's season opening win last year on the Saturday night in week zero when they beat Memphis East. I also saw him play on television when Maplewood played Hillsboro on the Thursday night television game. Are any of those other big linemen back for Maplewood? They were a gigantic team!

Is Parks back at WR for Maplewood this year? He was a playmaker!

Parks signed to play ball at Jackson State University in Mississippi. He will be missed!

Thats what i meant thanks for the correction

Kenton Evans from Memphis Westwood holds the single game record with 597 yards passing in a game on October 21, 1994. He, Damion Dodson, and Alphonzo Hulette made up a dynamic offense that put up a ton of points from 1993-1995.

In 1994 & 1995 those Westwood teams eliminated Cheatham Co. in the second round of the TSSAA State Playoffs.......one of those years I remember the wind was blowing 30-40 MPH and he was still able to throw the football effectively.

On most of the TSSAA State Passing Records you'll find Kenton Evans from Westwood & Drew Hayes from McKenzie at #'s 1 & 2 on the lists. I find it to be bad luck that Cheatham Co. had to play Evans Westwood teams back-to-back years in the second round of the playoffs (1994-1995) and also had to play Hayes McKenzie teams back-to-back years in the first round of the playoffs (2003-2004).

I don't know where Hayes wound up playing college ball or if he is playing at all but I do know that Evans went to Marshall University in Huntington, WV straight out of high school before eventually transferring to Tennessee State University in Nashville, TN.

• 2 weeks later...

Kenton Evans from Memphis Westwood holds the single game record with 597 yards passing in a game on October 21, 1994. He, Damion Dodson, and Alphonzo Hulette made up a dynamic offense that put up a ton of points from 1993-1995.

In 1994 & 1995 those Westwood teams eliminated Cheatham Co. in the second round of the TSSAA State Playoffs.......one of those years I remember the wind was blowing 30-40 MPH and he was still able to throw the football effectively.

On most of the TSSAA State Passing Records you'll find Kenton Evans from Westwood & Drew Hayes from McKenzie at #'s 1 & 2 on the lists. I find it to be bad luck that Cheatham Co. had to play Evans Westwood teams back-to-back years in the second round of the playoffs (1994-1995) and also had to play Hayes McKenzie teams back-to-back years in the first round of the playoffs (2003-2004).

I don't know where Hayes wound up playing college ball or if he is playing at all but I do know that Evans went to Marshall University in Huntington, WV straight out of high school before eventually transferring to Tennessee State University in Nashville, TN.

Hayes is playing basball at Ole Miss as a starting pticher !

• 2 weeks later...

Good assumption on Stevens. Correction: Dale Binkley moved to MLB and Mitchell into his spot at outside after Braden graduated.

You are wrong! Kenton Evans went to Memphis, tried to put him under center and run pro style off. did not work for him, he's a shotgun qb. never been under center till Memphis . he did transfer and became starter fot TSU though