Coaches and Cussing!

Titanfan99

I live up here in the neighborhood of Macon, Smith and Trousdale counties. I know in the past I've heard of coaches who are trash mouthed. When I played I don't think I ever heard my highschool coach say a cuss word and looking back I respect him for that now. How bout your coaches. Do they use alot of 4 letter words?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live up here in the neighborhood of Macon, Smith and Trousdale counties. I know in the past I've heard of coaches who are trash mouthed. When I played I don't think I ever heard my highschool coach say a cuss word and looking back I respect him for that now. How bout your coaches. Do they use alot of 4 letter words?

Proud to say our coaches get the job done every year without cussing. They do an outstanding job of motivating the kids without having to cuss them to do it. I am sure that is not the case everywhere. As a parent of a player it make me respect our coaches even more.

come on this isnt elementary. and wether u wanna face it or believe it or not cussing gets the pint across wether ur tryin to get fired up or correct a mistake. idk why it just does. this is high school these "kids" cuss with eachother anyways every single day wether parents know it or not.

Might be hard on a message board to describe what you mean by "cussing"?

My Mom In Law occasionally lets out a " Oh S#i+".

My son says "MAW MAW"!!! and she says: "What, that ain't a curse word". /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

come on this isnt elementary. and wether u wanna face it or believe it or not cussing gets the pint across wether ur tryin to get fired up or correct a mistake. idk why it just does. this is high school these "kids" cuss with eachother anyways every single day wether parents know it or not.

In my humble opinion, If an adult coach cannot get their point across without cursing/cussing then they either need to develop their vocabulary skills, coaching techniques, or find something else to do.

and my pint is that it seemed to work well for you /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

Do some people use cuss words to make a point? yes they do and sometimes it will drive home a point, so I agree with you on that point. But, that doesn't mean that you can't do a better coaching job without the cussing. Yes some of the kids cuss and some do much worse but our coaches are respected and admired by fans and friends for the morals they teach our kids everyday. Somehow I have to believe that will have a positive influence on my kids or at least not a negative impact. JMO!!!

I once heard Hall of Fame coach Bob Shannon of East St. Louis (IL) high school speak at a coaches clinic. He coached in an inner city school in one of the highest crime areas in the USA. He said that he never cussed his players. He told the us that cussing wasn't tolerated in the English classroom and he would not tolerate it from either his players or assistants on the football field.

I was fortunate to play for a coach in West Tennessee who didn't cuss his teams. He would yell when he needed to and believe me, he could get his point across very strongly. Luckily, he was smart enough and enough of a gentleman that he could make you understand he wasn't pleased with your effort without using bad language. It can be and is done by many great coaches.

While it is true that high school kids will cuss each other, isn't it great when they have a coach who role models appropriate speech!

I understand both sides of this argument. I believe it's really based on what school and environment your talking about. And its really based on the the coach's personality and style of coaching. Is he a tony dungy quite and gets his point across with strong mannerism. OR is the coach like a Jon Gruden a in your face let you know about in a second. Hey both styles work it just depends on where your at as a coach and you have to know what type of kids your dealing with. Some kids don't understand OOOH Poor baby its okay son that you didn't get lined up right and that let the team score on us but you played hard!!! That works with some and doesn't work with others and some cases parents want to win and talk about discipline their kids but will be the first one to be on a coaches butt for getting on little Johnny for doing something wrong. I'm not saying cussing is not apart of the game or coaching becasue it is, football is a intense sport and sometimes things slipp or said completely out of emotion. Not saying one is right or wrong but its apart of it whether from kids or coaches no matter where you are at. If you don't believe that get out of the bubble you live in and it's just not football but ALL sports girls and boys!!!!!!!!!!

Cussing does not have to be a part of sports. It probably is in a lot of instances, but there are some programs on the high school and college level that have coaches that do not allow that type of language. You can get your point across without using curse words. I agree that using curse words does get the attention of people, but there are other methods that work.

Also, not using curse words doesn't make a person quite, timid, or not intense.