Coaches and Cussing!

Titanfan99

There is a time when kids need to grow up........ foul language is a part of life. Kids are going to hear it, when a Coach is making a point and uses stern language with a few choice words...I am fine with it. What I hate is the white trash parents out in East Hickman try to use it to get a Coach in trouble when thier kids are thugs and the whole family cusses like sailors, are all the sudden offended. And the killer part is the weak minded, lawsuit fearful Administration buy into it. Its all fine when thier kid is playing well and is the "stud" but if thier kid gets disclipline, or gets his feathers clipped. Those parents are watching and listening to everything the coach does or says, ready to complain on him/her , and then trys the stab in the back move. It is a favorite move in our Community,used often . But in our county the Supt. Jerry Nash rules with a "Iron Hand" , if you have his ear. You can get anything or anybody fired.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a time when kids need to grow up........ foul language is a part of life. Kids are going to hear it, when a Coach is making a point and uses stern language with a few choice words...I am fine with it. What I hate is the white trash parents out in East Hickman try to use it to get a Coach in trouble when thier kids are thugs and the whole family cusses like sailors, are all the sudden offended. And the killer part is the weak minded, lawsuit fearful Administration buy into it. Its all fine when thier kid is playing well and is the "stud" but if thier kid gets disclipline, or gets his feathers clipped. Those parents are watching and listening to everything the coach does or says, ready to complain on him/her , and then trys the stab in the back move. It is a favorite move in our Community,used often . But in our county the Supt. Jerry Nash rules with a "Iron Hand" , if you have his ear. You can get anything or anybody fired.

And it all can be prevented if coaches choose to use stern language without using "a few choice words"

Sometimes it takes a few "cuss" words to get the point across. If your not directing at a kid trying to belittle him/her i am fine with it, The 'Touchy feely" approach just dont get it sometimes.

You can get your point across without using cuss words. And like I said before... it doesn't mean that you are timid if you don't use cuss words. Not using cuss words does not automatically make you "touchy feely." You can use cuss words and still be "touchy feely." "Touchy feely" is a characteristic of one's personality, not necessarily the language that they choice to use.

You can get your point across without using cuss words. And like I said before... it doesn't mean that you are timid if you don't use cuss words. Not using cuss words does not automatically make you "touchy feely." You can use cuss words and still be "touchy feely." "Touchy feely" is a characteristic of one's personality, not necessarily the language that they choice to use.

That's a strong point.

• 2 weeks later...

One of America??™s greatest thinkers and authors Samuel Clemens once said that ???profanity is the weapon of the witless???. If someone has enough intellect to communicate without cursing they generally choose to do so because it still is perceived as language of the layperson, one does not often witness the intellectual elite of our world perorate with aid of profanity and it is because they do not require its use. I have never used profanity and have never required its use because I can communicate without such frivolities. Now with that being said I have never been offended by the use of profane language and accept it as part of our language. I have had coaches that cursed every other sentence because it was simply part of their vernacular and I have had coaches that would not ever use such language. I did not have lack of respect for either as a coach because of their vocabulary, that was entirely based on their ability to teach football, call plays, and develop football players but their was definitely a discrepancy in who I respected more as a man because it is hard for me hold someone in high regard who can not effectively think. The bottom line is that it is a matter of preference but diction has no effect on someone??™s qualification to coach football.

go write a book or take the s a t this is football

Look guys, cussing is not a big deal. You would be surpsised at some of the things that these kids say in the locker room and on the field when they drop a pass, miss a block, overthrow a receiver, dont wrap up, make the wrong read, get beat deep...the point is there are a lot of things out there for these kids to get upset off about on the football field. Fuming on the field is natural for a kid to show frustration at themselves for doing these things wrong. Im not commending or condemming them either way, but they think nothing of it and most coaches think nothing of it. If a coach reprimanded me for cussing then i would have been upset then because its my personal preference and like everybody has said....its a "four letter" word. Its hurting no one and its personal preference if a kid wants to cuss or not. I coach 7th and 8th grade kids and help out with the high school on occassion. Truthfully, the younger ones are worse with the language than the highschool and since most of our kids in the area do not play football til they get up to 7th grade (because we are more organized than the rest of the grade levels) they are learning this language somewhere else besides a coach....im guessing a parent so dont blame the coaches if they let a few slip. And if you watch these kids grow from freshman year to senior, you see that they pick their places to cuss and then they hold their tongues otherwise. My coaches cussed and ranted on, but if i didnt want to hear it i could have just turned a blind eye to it. Finally, words are words and if someone takes these words to heart then they need to find a different sport to play cause whether a coach uses a oh so bad curse word or they get up in your face and chew you down, its getting the point across. They are just words!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

profanity is not right

I have always tried to not cuss when coaching, occasionally one would slip. I recently decided to help out with a highly talented travel team. They thought their you know what didn't stink. I lost it one day and started cursing while I was coaching. The kids all of a sudden had a new found respect for me, and when they saw I was that frustrated they quickly fixed their mistakes. I think cursing can be good and bad. When you rarely do it, it can have 2 effects. One being a "shock and wow factor", and the other being "he means business factor." Cursing all the time in my opinion can lose its effectiveness. The kids grow to it and adapt to playing with it. I guess my point is that you must decide what is best for the kids you have currently. I have coached all ranges of teams over the years, and each team was different.

Most kids playing are 17 and 18 years old. You honestly think most kids dont cuss?? /laugh.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":lol:" border="0" alt="laugh.gif" /> Your kids sure have you fooled. The ones you THINK are the best are usually the worst when no parents are around

I have always tried to not cuss when coaching, occasionally one would slip. I recently decided to help out with a highly talented travel team. They thought their you know what didn't stink. I lost it one day and started cursing while I was coaching. The kids all of a sudden had a new found respect for me, and when they saw I was that frustrated they quickly fixed their mistakes. I think cursing can be good and bad. When you rarely do it, it can have 2 effects. One being a "shock and wow factor", and the other being "he means business factor." Cursing all the time in my opinion can lose its effectiveness. The kids grow to it and adapt to playing with it. I guess my point is that you must decide what is best for the kids you have currently. I have coached all ranges of teams over the years, and each team was different.

If your intent is to not cuss, it sounds like you need more discipline and control.