Powell Panthers in 2009

osunut2

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

In the past 7 or 8 years, I can't tell you how many times Powell's great expectations got the best of them. It is very difficult for teenagers to meet those expectations, especially when you are "the hunted." Clinton has the same question marks that Powell had a few years ago under Larry Stevens, and I wonder how the Dragons will respond. Depth was a huge issue for the Dragons last year (just like those pre-Matt Lowe Panthers), and I have to think that it will be a big factor again this season. That said, I still think that with Clinton's star power, they are the team to beat in this region.

As far as Powell is concerned, I'm curious to see how their offensive and defensive line play works out this season. Kier Houston made up for a lot of the mediocre line play last year, and I wonder how the line will perform without him this season. The two-platoon system will be in full effect once again, and that will definitely help. I'm not a fan of using those "big-uglies" on both sides of the ball, and Matt Lowe's system has proven that a two-platoon system (in high school) will wear down your opponents. Last year's Clinton-Powell game is a sterling example of that.

On another note, how is the new stadium coming along? Does anyone have any information on how it will look?

I was at Powell yesterday so my son could go to football camp. All the footings are in place and the metal for the stands had just been delivered. Everyone is optimistic that everything will be in place for the first home game. They still have a lot to finish before the stands will be useable.