Maryville 49 Heritage 7

REBELRON

Maryville whips Heritage tonight. Now it is time to get ready for Morristown West. I hope the Maryville 1st string is in good shape because they will play the whole game next week.

The running game was good. Cade played well. Defense played well. Heritage may not win a game. They have no offense. Their defense is not that bad.

I expect a war next week. Maryville and Morristown West are two of the best teams in the state.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest caligula
Posted by MaryvilleRebels:

What'd they get like 2 first downs the whole game, and one touchdown against like our freshmen? We coulda scored again, but we showed alotta class letting time run out when we were on the 1 yard line. Overall...just get the kick off coverage down and we'll be fine!

Did the fresham suit up?

It was a rout in every imaginable aspect. I felt sorry for Heritage, but hey, everybody and their brother expected this to happen.

It wasn't a great night statistically for the Rebels starters because they were pulled out midway through the second quarter. (Of course, they still did better than Heritage's starters, who had like 41 minus yards at halftime!!!) Here they are as best as I counted:

Carl Stewart - carried the ball 6 times, gained 44 yards, and made 2 rushing touchdowns, one on a perfect option play from Cade Thompson. His touchdown runs covered 19 yards and 10 yards respectively. He could have had a 70-yard touchdown run on the first play of the game if not for a penalty on a Rebel that really didn't affect the outcome of the play. That run was beautifully done as he broke all matters of tackles and just plain ran faster than anyone on the Mountaineer defense could. Unfortunately it was all for naught.

Chris McCord - actually had a better night yardage-wise than Carl for a change. He hasn't had his first 100-yard game yet, but he did get 78 yards on 6 carries and a 18-yard touchdown run. He also had nice runs of 12 yards and 31 yards.

Cade Thompson - his passing was so-so tonight. He overthrew Brad Merritt on a potential touchdown play, he underthrew Brad on a short pass, threw into good coverage two times and once nearly had the ball intercepted, and had a pass dropped in the end zone. He made his other five passes though, and overall he was 5 of 10 for nearly 50 yards, without an interception but no touchdowns either. Tonight we didn't need him to do well, the running game was all we needed. Next week will be a different story! He will have to be as good as he was against Halls.

Brad Merritt had a kind of a boring night, just 1 catch for 10 yards. But he did have good position for that overthrown 50-yard pass and would have made the touchdown on that play if it had hit him.

Jacob Holt had the best night of the receivers, 3 catches for about 32 yards.

Derek Rang gets my vote for defensive player of the night. He had an interception that was returned for an 20-yard touchdown. Our second-string middle linebacker (Everett) also had a good interception and ran about 15 yards with it.

It was a night of backups, really. Antonio Byner did an impressive job against Heritage's first-string defense (even if it was without standout Casey Eidson, who was injured). He gained 72 yards on eight carries and had a 3-yard touchdown.

About 7 or 8 running backs touched the ball tonight. Arrington (second-string outside linebacker and fourth-string running back) also had a touchdown. Parnell and Hannon each had four or five carries, but didn't gain much more than 15 yards.

The defense did an outstanding job. There were a number of gang tackles in the backfield for losses, and also a few sacks. Heritage had to score against our third- and fourth-string defenders on a trick play, a 36-yard hook-and-ladder play. The young Rebels made it up on defense by returning a fumble for a touchdown on the next Heritage series, though I didn't see who got to carry it.

Overall, we did what we needed to do. Now, next week will be the first true test of the season. I expect to see Morristown West two times this year - next week, and deep in the playoffs!

We'll have to be at our best for both games. Go Rebs!!!

I'll tell ya another thing...Blount County Cops are friggen RETARDED!! Apparently a "new" rule was passed that says the C-flag is not allowed on the primises of any county school. Well no one really informed the students so after caravaning to the game we were stopped by a policeman when we were going to park and he told us to take our American and Confederate flags down, we did take the down but the boy in the back continued to hold them by the end of the sticks and so they flew just a tad. When we entered the parking lot another police stepped up to the truck and grabbed the C-flag and said that it was his and he was taking it. I asked him why and he said that its not allowed on the primises and that when we were asked to take the flag down we didn't. I told him that he had taken it out of the holes and that he was holding the flags and not aggressively waving them, and that we were not told to put them away, but just to take them down, which we did. I told him that it was all just a misunderstanding and he told me to talk to his supervising officer, the one that stopped us. He said we could go talk to him and see if we could get it back now, or we could get if after the game, and we made sure we could get it after the game. Well I left just after the Heritage touchdown and walked up to a policeman and told him my flag was taken and asked where i could get it back at. He asked who took it and i told him a BC officer, he asked his "partner" where it was and he told him in the back of his car. Then the first officer said asked if I was in the ford ranger and I told him I was, and he told me that I could get the flag from my SRO, school resource officer, on monday. I told him that I was told and basically promised that I would get the flag back after the game, and now you're going against your word. He said yes, and I asked if he was SURE that i'd get it back on monday and he said he was sure and I said whatever, thanks and walked off. I then went to the next cop and asked where I could get the flag and he told me to see the officers I had just talked to or go to the front gate. So i thanked him and walked off and he yelled and said you must not care too much then, and I stopped and said that I had already talked to those officers and they told me I could get it back through my SRO on monday. He asked why I had came to him then and I told him because I was initially told that it would be returned after the game and they went against their word and told me to pick it up monday. he said I shouldn't have brought it in the first place and I told him I didn't know that it wasn't allowed on the premises. He said that I could pick it up on monday and I said yea, if they keep their word this time and I thanked him and walked off. If I don't get my flag back on monday i will personally complain to the BC main office and request money for the "stolen" property! The whole situation is pretty retarded. The officer said the flag had more than on meaning, and the other meaning was, Maryville's coming, time for another beating and they're mad about that so they banned it. Stupid Stupid!

Posted by caligula:

What'd they get like 2 first downs the whole game, and one touchdown against like our freshmen? We coulda scored again, but we showed alotta class letting time run out when we were on the 1 yard line. Overall...just get the kick off coverage down and we'll be fine!

Did the fresham suit up?

No, they didn't. They should have, however! :)

Basically EVERYBODY on the varisty and junior varsity team got to play tonight and then some!

I'll tell ya another thing...Blount County Cops are friggen RETARDED!! Apparently a "new" rule was passed that says the C-flag is not allowed on the primises of any county school. Well no one really informed the students so after caravaning to the game we were stopped by a policeman when we were going to park and he told us to take our American and Confederate flags down, we did take the down but the boy in the back continued to hold them by the end of the sticks and so they flew just a tad. When we entered the parking lot another police stepped up to the truck and grabbed the C-flag and said that it was his and he was taking it. I asked him why and he said that its not allowed on the primises and that when we were asked to take the flag down we didn't. I told him that he had taken it out of the holes and that he was holding the flags and not aggressively waving them, and that we were not told to put them away, but just to take them down, which we did. I told him that it was all just a misunderstanding and he told me to talk to his supervising officer, the one that stopped us. He said we could go talk to him and see if we could get it back now, or we could get if after the game, and we made sure we could get it after the game. Well I left just after the Heritage touchdown and walked up to a policeman and told him my flag was taken and asked where i could get it back at. He asked who took it and i told him a BC officer, he asked his "partner" where it was and he told him in the back of his car. Then the first officer said asked if I was in the ford ranger and I told him I was, and he told me that I could get the flag from my SRO, school resource officer, on monday. I told him that I was told and basically promised that I would get the flag back after the game, and now you're going against your word. He said yes, and I asked if he was SURE that i'd get it back on monday and he said he was sure and I said whatever, thanks and walked off. I then went to the next cop and asked where I could get the flag and he told me to see the officers I had just talked to or go to the front gate. So i thanked him and walked off and he yelled and said you must not care too much then, and I stopped and said that I had already talked to those officers and they told me I could get it back through my SRO on monday. He asked why I had came to him then and I told him because I was initially told that it would be returned after the game and they went against their word and told me to pick it up monday. he said I shouldn't have brought it in the first place and I told him I didn't know that it wasn't allowed on the premises. He said that I could pick it up on monday and I said yea, if they keep their word this time and I thanked him and walked off. If I don't get my flag back on monday i will personally complain to the BC main office and request money for the "stolen" property! The whole situation is pretty retarded. The officer said the flag had more than on meaning, and the other meaning was, Maryville's coming, time for another beating and they're mad about that so they banned it. Stupid Stupid!

[Edited by mapperman on 9-14-02 7:23A]

does the confederate flag really offend heritage students? or is it just because it is maryville. i bet 50% of the heritage students have them on their bedroom wall. honestly all during the summer i would see pu trucks with a big red H license plate on the front and a confederate flag waving in the back. this is a joke. but congratulations. at least you finally scored! :)