If you had one wish

BatmanDB

The greatest thing that a son/daughter can gain from high school sports is not winning a state championship (as a player & coach I was part of 22 state titles) but the work ethic that it takes to prepare to win a championship. Most athletes, parents, coaching staffs & booster clubs are not willing to work hard enough to win a state championship. When the work becomes an inconvenience or painful they quit and badmouth the program and everyone associated with the program. Teams can get lucky and win one championship but the teams that repeat year after year win due to working both hard and smart in the offseason. Championships are as much mental as they are physical and teams that win multiple titles do so by doing things that other teams are not willing to do like having practice on the weekends, Christmas Day, New Years Day, etc...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The greatest thing that a son/daughter can gain from high school sports is not winning a state championship (as a player & coach I was part of 22 state titles) but the work ethic that it takes to prepare to win a championship. Most athletes, parents, coaching staffs & booster clubs are not willing to work hard enough to win a state championship. When the work becomes an inconvenience or painful they quit and badmouth the program and everyone associated with the program. Teams can get lucky and win one championship but the teams that repeat year after year win due to working both hard and smart in the offseason. Championships are as much mental as they are physical and teams that win multiple titles do so by doing things that other teams are not willing to do like having practice on the weekends, Christmas Day, New Years Day, etc...

If you win a State Title on/or about December 6th, and practice on Christmas or New Years Day; then you have violated TSSAA rules. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

But I do agree with you about the work ethic thing. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

If you win a State Title on/or about December 6th, and practice on Christmas or New Years Day; then you have violated TSSAA rules. /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" /> /roflol.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":roflol:" border="0" alt="roflol.gif" />

But I do agree with you about the work ethic thing. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

Yes, Christmas Day would be the "Dead Period/Communist Rule" for football in Tennessee but Ice Hockey, Basketball, Wrestling, etc... are in the middle of their season.

I understand that well.I have enjoyed my kids in sports as well as any number of events since my first son was born 28 years ago.My oldest son would not play basketball for the coach at his highschool,but I still went to his interschool games that they had once a year just to support him.Yes,I was the only parent there and yes I camcorded the game. Years ago,my second son had a dodgeball championship game before his sixth grade classes even took up in the morning.I camcorded that and once again I was the only parent there.My youngest son had his field day again this year,and yes I burnt vacation to camcord that.I too enjoy my kids more than life itself.I've had the joy of seeing my kids do little things like this on up to some pretty big time things.Nothing gives me greater joy however,than just letting them know that I love them and I'm proud of them nomatter what they do in life.

Excellent post, BMan. We can always count on you to raise the bar and make sure we remember this is all about the kids. Beautifully written! OM MOM