Dead period

catchman

How can or is there any way one can be exempt from the Tssaa dead period rule. /dry.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid="

No, only way to not be affected is if you are not a coach in the high school program. If you are a coach in any way, you can not even attend the games to watch. Much less, coach.

No, only way to not be affected is if you are not a coach in the high school program. If you are a coach in any way, you can not even attend the games to watch. Much less, coach.

Thanks for the reply,, You hear so many stories it makes a lot of people wonder..

So, if you are a HS coach, I know you can't coach, but you can't even watch a travel team game during the dead period? What about if your daughter is participating in the game?

So, if you are a HS coach, I know you can't coach, but you can't even watch a travel team game during the dead period? What about if your daughter is participating in the game?

If you have a daughter playing you may attend and watch. You just cant coach in any way.

This question has been asked at TSSAA rules meeting and the answer given was, " You can go observe as a parent of a child playing but not have contact with any other players and only observe give no feedback or coaching during the game." If you are not a parent of a girl playing you cannot go and observe if you are a TSSAA coach. You cannot even be in the complex. Silly I know but that is the rule. Sad thing is many volunteer coaches who are working with a team are not understanding this rule and are not being allowed to coach anymore after the rule is broken. But all coaches who take the TSSAA class are made aware of the rule.

Go to:

http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/SportsCalendar.htm

click at bottom of page on softball link

This question has been asked at TSSAA rules meeting and the answer given was, " You can go observe as a parent of a child playing but not have contact with any other players and only observe give no feedback or coaching during the game." If you are not a parent of a girl playing you cannot go and observe if you are a TSSAA coach. You cannot even be in the complex. Silly I know but that is the rule. Sad thing is many volunteer coaches who are working with a team are not understanding this rule and are not being allowed to coach anymore after the rule is broken. But all coaches who take the TSSAA class are made aware of the rule.

Go to:

http://www.tssaa.org/Handbook/SportsCalendar.htm

click at bottom of page on softball link

If this sisuation was to happen, does the player have to sit a game during the season if there is a penalty.

If this sisuation was to happen, does the player have to sit a game during the season if there is a penalty.

This is a question only the TSSAA could answer, but usually the player would not be penalizd but the coach or the school or team. In these situations, usually a coach may be suspended for a few games or for as much as a year. The team or school could be put on probation and not be able to play in post season play. The schools are at the mercy of the TSSAA in these situations and usually it is best if the school report it as soon as they know a rule has been broken and let TSSAA know what punishment the school has imposed on the coach. Most of the time if the TSSAA thinks you have been honest and reported the rule violation and the punishment, they support the school's decision if it is within their guidelines.

But this is what I have seen in past, we have a new Leader at TSSAA now, things could change. Again, only the TSSAA can answer for sure in each situation, but maybe this will help

This is a question only the TSSAA could answer, but usually the player would not be penalizd but the coach or the school or team. In these situations, usually a coach may be suspended for a few games or for as much as a year. The team or school could be put on probation and not be able to play in post season play. The schools are at the mercy of the TSSAA in these situations and usually it is best if the school report it as soon as they know a rule has been broken and let TSSAA know what punishment the school has imposed on the coach. Most of the time if the TSSAA thinks you have been honest and reported the rule violation and the punishment, they support the school's decision if it is within their guidelines.

But this is what I have seen in past, we have a new Leader at TSSAA now, things could change. Again, only the TSSAA can answer for sure in each situation, but maybe this will help

What if a high school head coach is umpiring a game at a travel ball tournament and some of his high school players are competing? That situation arose this past weekend.

What if a high school head coach is umpiring a game at a travel ball tournament and some of his high school players are competing? That situation arose this past weekend.

As I said in my first post. Only the TSSAA can answer these questions but if it was not cleared before hand with the TSSAA, I would not want to be in his shoes. This is a direct violation of the rules and would not be fair to those coaches who have followed the rule to the letter and stayed away. But again, the TSSAA may have allowed it if it was known before the fact. I have known coaches who sent in a letter to have an athletic banquet or a booster club meeting during the dead period and was turned down because that is having contact with the players. The booster club can occur as long as only parents show up and no student athletes. I know that one from a personal level as I was told I could have the booster club meeting but if a player showed up with the parent we would be in violation, so I decided to wait until dead period was over.