Is the game better than 8-10-12 years ago?

CoachT

I may be a young pup, but I know that the game now, compared to then, has much more of a finesse style. Fundamentals aren't taught as much, but the teams that preach fundamentals, and have a touch of finesse, are usually at the top. Also think the game may be a touch more athletic, as people, athletes, are evolving. Just my opinion.

its now more individual talent not as much as a good team and individual players are inserting themselves more (all players) and therefore the coaching edge is diminishing somewhat but its still important to have a disiplined team that plays all aspects of the game but lot more emphasic put on offense now and makes it faster not nessessarily better. Colleges looking for offensive stars not team players most of the time.I believe thats a big reason mid major colleges are making a run in post season they get a lot of sleepers that are team oriented and play all aspects of the game fairly well and don't nessessarily have the slash and dash the offensive stars do.

its now more individual talent not as much as a good team and individual players are inserting themselves more (all players) and therefore the coaching edge is diminishing somewhat but its still important to have a disiplined team that plays all aspects of the game but lot more emphasic put on offense now and makes it faster not nessessarily better. Colleges looking for offensive stars not team players most of the time.I believe thats a big reason mid major colleges are making a run in post season they get a lot of sleepers that are team oriented and play all aspects of the game fairly well and don't nessessarily have the slash and dash the offensive stars do.

Good post senator..I think you nailed it pretty close. Hope all is well too. /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

I have watched both Lamar R. and Jim B. both have filled trophy cases.

Both have had super tallent and won.

Both have had not so supper tallent and won.

I watch coaches, players, etc.

The tallent changes year to year, and rotates out every four years.

Good coaching wins no matter what tallent graduates.

Good coaches develope tallent.

That's not changed.

Players today are more physical than in years past. Also, the three point shot has become much more of an offensive focus. The game is played faster, but I would still like to see a shot clock. I think a shot clock would make it easier for the officials. Take away the 10 second call and 5 second call. The game is becoming more one on one and a game of mismatches, it seems to be create for your team and not as much screening anymore A coach these days is asked to be more of a motivator, although fundamentals and discipline are huge. Just my thoughts

Players today are more physical than in years past. Also, the three point shot has become much more of an offensive focus. The game is played faster, but I would still like to see a shot clock. I think a shot clock would make it easier for the officials. Take away the 10 second call and 5 second call. The game is becoming more one on one and a game of mismatches, it seems to be create for your team and not as much screening anymore A coach these days is asked to be more of a motivator, although fundamentals and discipline are huge. Just my thoughts

You have not watch the womens game or the mens game for that matter..

I used to see a lot of double screens, but now I am seeing some tripple screens and some defences are not reading that.

No need for a shot clock in highschool ball, just adds to something else for the officials to worry about.

Defence is the key to winning in highschool BBall but the fans like what they see on TV. TV ain't real.

Defence is the key to winning in highschool BBall but the fans like what they see on TV. TV ain't real.

Bingo /ohmy.gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":o" border="0" alt="ohmy.gif" /> That's what senator wanted to say but fell a little bit short. LOL Doesn't take much coaching to call 4 low or high post pick and roll. i know a young lady who is a senior this year and has played ball since she was 4 and I would bet my next paycheck that if you took away the 5 sec and 10 sec rule she would quit today!!!!!! You say today's coach is more of a motivator and I think what you meant to say was [bABYSITTER]. Show me a coach who can hold a team that averages 80 to 40 points and I'll show you a trophy case full of gold and silver balls /thumb[1].gif" style="vertical-align:middle" emoid=":thumb:" border="0" alt="thumb[1].gif" />

CoachT I love today's game as much as yesterday's but I'm curious about your thoughts!!!

For those of you who have been around girl's basketball in Tennessee for awhile: how do the teams/players today compare to 8-10-12 years ago?

I think we have started to see a trend that took over boys basketball a few years ago. Your urban teams are going to start to be the powers in the state. The strength of the suburban/rural schools used to be the youth programs. Now, there are starting to be strong youth programs in Nashville and Memphis so that talent is taught at a young age. In the areas where basketball is king, soccer, volleyball, and softball are taking the limited number of athletes. The only way a rural school can compete is if they get more players to move in.

This years AAA state tournament was not a fluke. In the nineties, Nashville only had one public high school go to the state tournament (Glencliff). Since 2000, Overton, Hunters Lane, Antioch, McGavock, and Hillsboro (twice) have all been. Look for that trend to continue.

Man, I thought these were opinions. I did not know I had to see the game like Jimbo. We are from different areas. The game in the west is played with full court pressure, lots of points off turnovers, and the three ball. As a matter of fact I have seen hundreds of games and some do run a lot of sets and some create with their guards. The post was how has the game changed. Not everyone is running the flex, or UCLA. I agree defense wins, always has and always will, but that is not how the game has changed. The shot clock comment was my opinion. I would like to see the game played faster, like college. Especially after seeing 8-4 games and teams that hold the ball for 1:00 +, and scores in the 20's. I also did not mean coaches are babysitters, although I know many coaches who are that, as well as dads, and mentors, and motivators. Like it has been said the one thing that has been constant in the game is defense. Defense in the half court and full court, but mainly the half court. All teams who go to the Boro can play great D.

I am a little younger than some (29), but I remember from the late 80's a lot more physical play from a lot less athletically built players. Today's players are probably more physically talented, but the lay out after the loose ball, run over your Mom to get the ball, has went down as a whole. You see some players, but rarely teams, that really get the team concept from from one end of your bench to the other like in years past. Just my two cents.