South Greene @ Cocke County

lastyear21

GO BIG RED!!!

That all you can put?... Ill go with SG big in this one, unless they are looking forward to next weeks conference opener against Cumberland Gap... BUT the rebs should take this one on a good night.

SG 35

CC7

I'm a former Fighting #### from many moons ago, but don't live near Newport any more.......thus I know little about aany of the programs in that area. I do know that Cocke County has been "down" for several years, though.....but am hoping they'll return to their glory years - similar to those in the late 70's, 80's and part of the 90's.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GO BIG RED!!!

That all you can put?... Ill go with SG big in this one, unless they are looking forward to next weeks conference opener against Cumberland Gap... BUT the rebs should take this one on a good night.

SG 35

CC7

I'm a former Fighting #### from many moons ago, but don't live near Newport any more.......thus I know little about aany of the programs in that area. I do know that Cocke County has been "down" for several years, though.....but am hoping they'll return to their glory years - similar to those in the late 70's, 80's and part of the 90's.

Sadly, "down" doesn't come close to describing CC for the last couple of years. I loved playing the fighting Cockes cause they would alway come out hitting hard. Last year was the absolutely worst I have ever seen..... I hear the numbers are better this year so hopefully they are on the way back.

I watched GHS play CCHS last year and I agree they were horrible. After watching the SGHS vs. CCHS last Friday, I think they were improved, although they really only had one way to go. The offense looked better although I don't think their D was much better. Which brings me to my next point barb.

I agree Susong is playing well, but he's not been tested yet by a quality defense. Scott appears to be reading the field much better, has a better grip on the offensive scheme, and looks more confident to me. But, I'm anxious to see how he does when a quality D-line is getting pressure on him consistently. In the past he's had a tendency to make bad decisions (Happy Valley game last year). Hopefully, he's learned from those type of mistakes and won't repeat them.

I think last year's CCHS team just lost the desire after four years of losing. Injuries to key guys on a very thin team also played a part. This year's team put in a lot of effort into the off-season, but the size, speed, and talent aren't going to be there. The offense system did look pretty good minus the turnovers. The South Greene QB has a good strong arm, but was basically playing 7 on 7 because I don't remember a pass rush all night...

I watched GHS play CCHS last year and I agree they were horrible. After watching the SGHS vs. CCHS last Friday, I think they were improved, although they really only had one way to go. The offense looked better although I don't think their D was much better. Which brings me to my next point barb.

I agree Susong is playing well, but he's not been tested yet by a quality defense. Scott appears to be reading the field much better, has a better grip on the offensive scheme, and looks more confident to me. But, I'm anxious to see how he does when a quality D-line is getting pressure on him consistently. In the past he's had a tendency to make bad decisions (Happy Valley game last year). Hopefully, he's learned from those type of mistakes and won't repeat them.

Susong will be tested on the 18th.

The devils have the best D I've seen in a long time. And with hall back on the line it will be even better. Dont forget about church too. With these two back you know they will be coming out on fire since it will be their first game.

SG better be ready to start EVERY Drive on the 20 because Mr. Ogle kicks them in the inzone everytime.

Devils will come out with a W.

SG will be doin good if they even score.

I think last year's CCHS team just lost the desire after four years of losing. Injuries to key guys on a very thin team also played a part. This year's team put in a lot of effort into the off-season, but the size, speed, and talent aren't going to be there. The offense system did look pretty good minus the turnovers. The South Greene QB has a good strong arm, but was basically playing 7 on 7 because I don't remember a pass rush all night...

I read the Plain Talk paper in Newport every once in awhile and after reading the CCHS/SG story, what exactly does this mean?

This quote is from the paper and coach... link below...

"Cocke County High School coach Casey Kelley's message all week was that if anyone was going to beat his football team this week it needed to be the South Greene Rebels."

http://newportplaintalk.com/story/29998

Seriously - drawing a blank on that one.... why would you want the other team to win?

I read the Plain Talk paper in Newport every once in awhile and after reading the CCHS/SG story, what exactly does this mean?

This quote is from the paper and coach... link below...

"Cocke County High School coach Casey Kelley's message all week was that if anyone was going to beat his football team this week it needed to be the South Greene Rebels."

http://newportplaintalk.com/story/29998

Seriously - drawing a blank on that one.... why would you want the other team to win?

Yeah he meant that south greene would simply have to be better and play better to beat cocke county. He wanted sg to have to beat them without benefiting from cc turnovers or giving up.

Personally, i think CC showed a lot of heart and determination late in the 2nd and early in the 3rd. I love for cc to get a win this year. SO the best of luck to yall.

Personally, i think CC showed a lot of heart and determination late in the 2nd and early in the 3rd. I love for cc to get a win this year. SO the best of luck to yall.

I agree with you, they didn't give up. If they keep on playing like that all season I think they will get a win. Good Luck on the rest of your season CC.

Yea CCHS kept fighting the whole game. Turnovers just killed them everytime. If they keep the same heart and fight throughout the year, they can compete in a game or two. I was impressed with some of the offensive plays. Even noticed a hot route called in that got a first down after they saw something in the defense they had noticed on the film. It'll be hard to keep the drive however if the losses pile up. How's Seymour look this year? Any predictions on that game?