MILLINGTON TROJANS LEARN AN MOVE ON

dou

As far as the Bridges deal goes, yes and no. Scheduling is done on a two year basis for most high school football teams. Every now and then you might have a game that is just a one year thing but that is highly unlikely due to the fact that you would have to find someone else for that next year because everyone else is locked into two year deals.

Normally in the Bridges Kickoff Classic, you wouldn't play the same team two years in a row. However, it doesn't look like we have much choice for next year. We already play CBHS during the year and so does MUS. Otherwise we could match up with Melrose. So we will open up again vs MUS next year.

No one can deny that our league isn't as strong as we would have liked it to be. Otherwise we wouldn't had to go out and schedule MUS, Olive Branch & CBHS.

I'm still totally confused as to why we havent played better than we have with as many starters as we have that we returned????????????????????????????

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Level of competition for one thing. MUS and Olive Branch are two good football teams. Is MUS 38 points better than us? I don't think so but when you don't have to go longer than 55 yards on a drive and you fumble the ball 3 times, things happen. Against Olive Branch, it was the big play. We had at least 10 plays where we stopped them for negative yardage but all it takes is one. They had over 400 yds of offense on the night and 320 of it came on 6 plays.

2nd thing is for at least the last 5 or 6 years, we have had at least one player (and sometimes more) that could score from anywhere on the field. You just had to give him the ball. We don't have that player this year. If we do, he hasn't emerged just yet. If you don't have a gamebreaker, you have to be patient and take what they will give you. You can't continue to put the pressure on the defense by going 3 and out on offense.

Our Trojans were set up for failure by our Coaches: meaning putting 2 TOUGH teams first in line back to back: not just physically put as someone posted earlier psychologically which is sometimes more important. MUS and OB 3 yrs ago Trojans would have never thought about stepping on the field with those guys. Trojans took the field at MUS and OB took our field last night knowing that both teams are known nationally for their records and players. Our boys showed courage and fight. MUS and OB are coached by men who spend all summer training themselves and then taking that knowledge and putting it on the playing field. Those boys showed they were well coached. Trojans for the most part are coached but only coached on what worked in prior years not looking at their current talent and working the coaching around that. Our boys are good. The talent is there that has been proven by the Metro Coaches and 9th grade coaches. Starting next week we are back into our regions and will see how we match up. Our test was not MUS or OB our test will be how we fair in our region. Be proud that Our Trojans showed that they do have pride and took on those games for the ability to learn outside the box. That is more than our regional opponents have done so far this year. Now, let play some Trojan Football!!

Millington's coaches were very WISE to beef-up its early-season schedule with the likes of MUS, Olive Branch and CBHS! They should continue to schedule in that manner.

It's far better to a team's development to play and lose several games to top-quality opponents, than to go undefeated while playing a bunch of "creampuffs," which is what Millington used to do! The benefits of such tough early-season scheduling usually manifest themselves, during the playoffs.

I say, don't worry about early season wins and losses! As long as the team learns and improves as a result of those tough opponents (and those losses don't come in District play) then, at the end of the day, they are of no real significance.

Forget about pride. The team's development and long-term improvement is far more important.

Look at Mphs East ....they're also sitting at 0-wins and 2-losses, as a result of playing 2 top-notch (and undefeated, btw) Mississippi opponents that are ranked in the top 3 of their State's classes! Sure, Mphs East was extremely competitive and was only a play or 2 away from winning both of those games.....That's besides the point, though.

Mphs East is winless but much better prepared (and more likely, IMO) to make a deeper playoff run, than being undefeated via playing "creampuffs!" Furthermore, East still has not lost a District game. So, they did not really "lose" anything. Yet, they gained a whole lot!

This concept ain't anything new.

Kudos to the Millington coaching staff (and East's) for subscribing to this powerful theory.

-----------------------------------------------------

Remember.......the season is not over for Millington, not by a long shot. In fact, It's only just beginning!

Millington's record might be 0-wins and 2-losses, but they are (believe it or not) probably better team (yeah, you read that right) than if they had been 2-0 as a result of slaughtering the likes of a Northside, Frayser, Munford, Overton, etc.

As far as the districts go, Craigmont/Ral-Egypt/Bartlett are right next to each other, which is why they were put in a region together.

Millington should have no problems with Bolton, but I'm not so sure about Cordova or Arlington. Cordova is usually tough every year and they've still got Keaton Baker, who has a pretty strong arm. Arlington has looked very good thus far this season. Yeah, they've played Overton and Frayser, but they beat both teams easily. This is definitely not the same Arlington team from last year that struggled to move the ball. They can move the ball at will now scoring 48 on Overton and 56 on Frayser. The Frayser score is even a little misleading as if not for a couple of miscues that game could have easily been 70-7 instead of 56-20. Their front 7 has looked pretty good against the run and the secondary is coming around. But I'm sure Millington is just glad to not have to face any more teams that are the caliber of MUS and OB.....those are 2 extremely tough games to start out with.

Our Trojans were set up for failure by our Coaches: meaning putting 2 TOUGH teams first in line back to back: not just physically put as someone posted earlier psychologically which is sometimes more important. MUS and OB 3 yrs ago Trojans would have never thought about stepping on the field with those guys. Trojans took the field at MUS and OB took our field last night knowing that both teams are known nationally for their records and players. Our boys showed courage and fight. MUS and OB are coached by men who spend all summer training themselves and then taking that knowledge and putting it on the playing field. Those boys showed they were well coached. Trojans for the most part are coached but only coached on what worked in prior years not looking at their current talent and working the coaching around that. Our boys are good. The talent is there that has been proven by the Metro Coaches and 9th grade coaches. Starting next week we are back into our regions and will see how we match up. Our test was not MUS or OB our test will be how we fair in our region. Be proud that Our Trojans showed that they do have pride and took on those games for the ability to learn outside the box. That is more than our regional opponents have done so far this year. Now, let play some Trojan Football!!

Millington's coaches were very WISE to beef-up its early-season schedule with the likes of MUS, Olive Branch and CBHS! They should continue to schedule in that manner.

It's far better to a team's development to play and lose several games to top-quality opponents, than to go undefeated while playing a bunch of "creampuffs," which is what Millington used to do! The benefits of such tough early-season scheduling usually manifest themselves, during the playoffs.

I say, don't worry about early season wins and losses! As long as the team learns and improves as a result of those tough opponents (and those losses don't come in District play) then, at the end of the day, they are of no real significance.

Forget about pride. The team's development and long-term improvement is far more important.

Look at Mphs East ....they're also sitting at 0-wins and 2-losses, as a result of playing 2 top-notch (and undefeated, btw) Mississippi opponents that are ranked in the top 3 of their State's classes! Sure, Mphs East was extremely competitive and was only a play or 2 away from winning both of those games.....That's besides the point, though.

Mphs East is winless but much better prepared (and more likely, IMO) to make a deeper playoff run, than being undefeated via playing "creampuffs!" Furthermore, East still has not lost a District game. So, they did not really "lose" anything. Yet, they gained a whole lot!

Kudos to the Millington coaching staff (and East's) for subscribing to this powerful theory.

Remember.......the season is not over for Millington, not by a long shot. In fact, It's only just beginning!

Millington's record might be 0-wins and 2-losses, but they are (believe it or not) probably better team (yeah, you read that right) than if they had been 2-0 as a result of slaughtering the likes of a Northside, Frayser, Munford, Overton, etc.

TraderB- I agree with you totally on a tough schedule, it can help you in the long run as long as you don't lose the kids and their confidence early.

Millington's schedule in the past 5-6 years was basically a result of the TSSAA classification. They were zoned in a crappy region and there was 9 teams in the region which gave them 8 conference games and 2 at large games. One of the at large games had to be Munford because that game paid the bills for the entire year and was for bragging rights in the communitie. This basically left 1 games to schedule. The previous 2 year cycle was with Collierville which you expect to be a decent football program and before that the two year cycle was with Southhaven which had a solid team with a great passing QB those two years. I am saying that the coaches in the past did not purposely schedule a cake schedule it was dealt to them and you can only play what you are delt. At least the new disticts are with less teams and alliows coaches more flexiablity in scheduling.

As far as the Bridges deal goes, yes and no. Scheduling is done on a two year basis for most high school football teams. Every now and then you might have a game that is just a one year thing but that is highly unlikely due to the fact that you would have to find someone else for that next year because everyone else is locked into two year deals.

Normally in the Bridges Kickoff Classic, you wouldn't play the same team two years in a row. However, it doesn't look like we have much choice for next year. We already play CBHS during the year and so does MUS. Otherwise we could match up with Melrose. So we will open up again vs MUS next year.

No one can deny that our league isn't as strong as we would have liked it to be. Otherwise we wouldn't had to go out and schedule MUS, Olive Branch & CBHS.

I'm still totally confused as to why we havent played better than we have with as many starters as we have that we returned????????????????????????????

I see returning players:

Offense-Left Guard, Right Guard, TE, Fullback, Wing back- (5 players)

Defense- Nose Guard, D-End, 2-Linebackers, Strong saftey, corner, (6-players)

11- true players that contributed last year on both sides of the ball. Don't forget the graduation of a 3yr punter and 3yr kicker. You don't realize how much you miss those guys until you consider how important field position is to a young and inexperienced football team.

This information does not answer your question above and i don't think i can answer the question without heavy opinion so i will only state that i hope we get better the next 8 games.

I got a phone call last night from a buddy of mine at the jv game against Arlington. Millington was hurting them with the run and Arl was hurting us with the pass. Millington was up 27-17 with approx. 2:15 left to play and the qb was told to knee the ball all four downs. The people in the stands were confused as to what was happening. Sure enough Arl gor the ball back with a full minute left and sure enough scored. 27-24. Arl tried an onside kick which did not work. Luckily!

I know it was just a jv game, but Millington needs something good to happen! Anything to boost moral. Can anyone tell me the logic behind that? Who called that? That move gave them a good shot at beating us.

Millington did try to toughen up their schedule. I understand we asked Houston, Gtown and Brighton to play us and they refused.

Scheduling those two teams were a couple of our later options not some brainstorm to make the team better.

I am not saying we cannot do well in the regular season, we can...if these boys are prepared. We were not prepared coming into those first two games. You can play games like that and look prepared (no fumbles, proper coverage, not missing tackles, better effort blocking) and still get beat just because they were a better team. A good example of this is East is 0-2.....and still in the Dandy Dozen....Millington is nowhere to be found!!

Millington did try to toughen up their schedule. I understand we asked Houston, Gtown and Brighton to play us and they refused.

Scheduling those two teams were a couple of our later options not some brainstorm to make the team better.

I am not saying we cannot do well in the regular season, we can...if these boys are prepared. We were not prepared coming into those first two games. You can play games like that and look prepared (no fumbles, proper coverage, not missing tackles, better effort blocking) and still get beat just because they were a better team. A good example of this is East is 0-2.....and still in the Dandy Dozen....Millington is nowhere to be found!!

Understood. :roflolk:

Excellent points.

-------------------------

Good luck to Millington, the rest of the season!