CAK travels to Stone

RonMexico

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CAK looks to be very good this year. It looks like they have put together a good group of coaches. I'll say they beat Stone by at least 5 touchdown.

Not so sure about 5 TD's, but I do believe the Panthers are going to have difficulty defending an air attack like the one CAK will bring on Friday night. Rain, wind, penalties or butter fingers, are the most likely things that could shut down the pass attack happy Warriors. Thats no disrespect to Stone's defense at all. Most everyone we face has difficulty defending the scheme if the Warriors execute properly. (Alcoa & Loudon are better prepared than most due to familarity and above average athletes). CAK's defense has really stepped it up this year as well. They aren't intimidating or dominating, but they are stubborn, tough, & quick. They are working on stepping out of the shadows of the high flying offense and establishing their own identity.

these kids ran 40 110s. ... hopefull #7, #23 and #67 can get a break second half from playing both ways if we can get up by a bunch.

So these kids are part of the group that ran 40 110s, right? I think they should be able to go both ways. :roflol:

I actually went to the CAK vs Seymour game Friday. Great atmosphere and crowd! The playing field at CAK is top-notch. I thought CAK looked really good. Their line play was very good in fact.

My two cents... if these young men are indeed in very good physical shape then I have to wonder if CAK wouldn't be a better team if more kids went both ways. I don't know the kids very well but I can't imagine this wouldn't be true. I'm familiar with Webb and this is how they do it. They get their kids in outstanding physical condition and then get the best 11 out there on each side of the ball. If that means some go both ways, then they go both ways. Some of this is directly related to numbers as they have around 50 kids including freshmen who play. This season I believe Webb plays about 7-8 kids both ways.

Powersweep, I'm glad you made it to the game. I saw a couple of my Webb friends there. It was indeed a great crowd and a wonderful atmosphere. CAK's young football program has come a long way. I agree with your thoughts on the quality of CAK's line play. I think CAK's line coaches do an excellent job of having them prepared to go up against bigger lines almost every week, using technique, speed, scheme, and conditioning to even the playing field.

There has been a fair amount of discussion among some of the CAK fans about the wisdom of playing or not playing kids both ways. I have been on record many times saying that given that 6A schools with very good programs feel the need to play some both ways, that we certainly have to look at that with the numbers of a 3A school (including the multiplier.) I will say that CAK does have several players that are playing both offense and defense, although there are only 2 I can think of that actually start both ways, #67 and #23 (someone correct me if there are others.) I don't believe #67 started on defense last week, perhaps to allow him to focus on a difficult match up on offense. I have less concern about that this year than I have in some past years. [i never quite understood why Kolinsky didn't play defense. My understanding is that he may have been the hardest hitter on the team during drills. ] I actually feel really good about our starting 22, although I think we lost one due to surgery. I'm not sure when he will be available. I think the bigger concern with CAK this year is depth. If we have injuries, I'm just not sure we can afford to overlook kids who are the best players because they already play on the other side of the ball.

I will also toss out that there is one kid that is not seeing the field that absolutely should be IMO. #11 is too good of an athlete to not find the field in some capacity. IMHO, a small school like CAK has to find a way to get the best athletes on the field, and if he is not going to start at QB, surely he can contribute elsewhere. (No I am not related LOL)

Having said all that, I realize there are good arguments for only playing kids one way. Better able to stay fresh through the game as well as a long season. More kids get on the field, which increases interest in the program from the students. Less chance of injury. Allow a player to focus more on being the best at one thing, etc. etc. I do have tremendous confidence in this coaching staff to get the best out of the program. I just hope they continually evaluate decisions like this to make sure it is the right decision as the season and program evolves.

these kids ran 40 110s. ... hopefull #7, #23 and #67 can get a break second half from playing both ways if we can get up by a bunch.

So these kids are part of the group that ran 40 110s, right? I think they should be able to go both ways. :roflolk:

I actually went to the CAK vs Seymour game Friday. Great atmosphere and crowd! The playing field at CAK is top-notch. I thought CAK looked really good. Their line play was very good in fact.

My two cents... if these young men are indeed in very good physical shape then I have to wonder if CAK wouldn't be a better team if more kids went both ways. I don't know the kids very well but I can't imagine this wouldn't be true. I'm familiar with Webb and this is how they do it. They get their kids in outstanding physical condition and then get the best 11 out there on each side of the ball. If that means some go both ways, then they go both ways. Some of this is directly related to numbers as they have around 50 kids including freshmen who play. This season I believe Webb plays about 7-8 kids both ways.

Powersweep:

Always happy to take a few bucks from our Webb friends :D It's the least you could do considering the fact that your Spartans have ruined some of our friday nights :D I echo many of govolsknox's sentiments. We have a good coaching staff and they have been successful. They have extensive experience at the collegant level, where playing guys on both sides of the ball is practically unheard of. I know that the last two games our opponents have been gased by the end of the third qtr. and our guys were still fresh. Maybe that is platooning, maybe its conditioning, and maybe its a combination. But we can't argue the results. However; the fact is that CAK was simply a better team than our opponent on those two nights. What happens when we match up with teams equal or better than us? I believe we are at a disadvantage when we have players on the sideline that have more capabilities than the ones on the field and the other team has their best players out their regardless of which side of the ball they play. 4 of the most successful programs in our immediate area are Webb, Catholic, Alcoa, & Maryville. All State Champions in recent history. They play their best players, even if they have 100 standing on the sideline. That's a pretty strong argument for playing the best players to me. However; this debate is one of philosophy, not whether the coaches are right or wrong. I only hope that our coaches are flexible enough to change directions on this issue if and when it starts affecting the win and loss column. If we can win and involve more kids, great. Go Warriors.

I don't know that # 11 should or should not be starting. As I said before, I feel good about our starting 22 on offense and defense. But I do think 11 is athletic enough that he should be in the rotation somewhere in addition to special teams. JMHO.

I can only speak for my opinion, but I believe we need to find a way for our best athletes with a good work ethic and attitude to contribute. They don't have to start to contribute. My take is that 11 is a high enough caliber athlete that he doesn't need to spend the vast majority of his sophmore season on the bench as the 3rd QB. I may be wrong, but I believe he could contribute at either WR or DB. Again, JMHO, but I think we had 4 of the best athletes we have competing for the QB position. I am very happy that we have 3 of those 4 contributing regularly, and I think the team will be better off if we are able to get the 4th ready to be more involved. :thumb:

For any of the CAK posters here, keep in mind the start time of the game will remain 7:30PM EST. Crossville is in the CST zone, so the start time for the game in "Crossville time" is 6:30PM. That is a nice accommodation from Stone to allow for our teams travel time back to Knoxville. If you can't make the game remember to tune into 96.3FM at 7:25PM for Chris Bevil & Charlie Shields broadcast of the game. I heard from some non-CAK folks who said they had been tuning in to keep up with our scores and said our brand new radio broadcast team is already better than most other high schools. There is a post game show with coach & player interviews, stats, and a call in show (865-577-4885). Plus, beginning with this game, a Podcast will be available about 2 hrs after the game. You can listen to the entire radio broadcast Saturday morning as you mow the lawn :roflol: For the time being you will need to go to http://www.praise963.com and download to your ipod/mp3 player. I hear that may be available on the CAK website soon.

The CAK Warriors will take there air show west down I-40 to Crossville for a first time encounter with the Panthers of Stone Memorial. The Panthers are still cubs, having only a few years of football experience at this new, sprawling, impressive facility on the east end of Cumberland Co. And these cubs are learning quickly that it truly is a jungle out there, having been roughed up already this season by some Dragons & Wildcats. When the Panther offense hasn't been turning over the pigskin, they have been able to find the endzone. But the defense has been somewhat charitable, giving away a sack full of points. When the Warriors fire up the engines on offense the scoring should be fast & furious. While the CAK pass attack has earned a feared reputation, the ground game cannot be ignored. Defensively the Warriors are rapidly advancing, developing a strong identity of their own as a unit that is tough in the trenches and stingy about giving up points, and not shy about scoring some points of their own.

FootballDad's Forecast: CAK 42 Stone Memorial 14

just having some fun :roflol: