OC vs Covington

PowerSet

Obion County travels to Covington Friday to battle the Chargers for the top spot in 7-3A. Covington is the class of the region, but Obion County is gaining respect every week. With the passing attack and quick strike ability of the Rebels, fans should be in for a treat in Covington this week. Could be one of the better games in West Tn, along with Milan vs Union City.

What are some other views on this game??

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're right, PS, this has the potential to be a whale of a game. Does anyone have any more info on the RB with the torn ACL for C'ton? Was he their main back? If the Rebs can keep the Chargers from breaking the big plays, they should really be able to make a game of it. The amount of speed Covington has on offense could really be a key.

OC 34 - Convington 28 (I hope! :)

Posted by PowerSet:

Obion County travels to Covington Friday to battle the Chargers for the top spot in 7-3A. Covington is the class of the region, but Obion County is gaining respect every week. With the passing attack and quick strike ability of the Rebels, fans should be in for a treat in Covington this week. Could be one of the better games in West Tn, along with Milan vs Union City.

What are some other views on this game??

After getting a chance to hear the game Friday night, I don't know if OC has what it takes to beat a team like Covington. Eventhough they had the untimely death of one of their key players, they should have handled LC better than they did. This is no the LC of the 80's. Some Jr. High teams could give them a run for their money. I do know that coach Chris Hill will do all he can to get his boys prepared. If Central can minimize the mistakes and contain Covington's backs they may stand a chance. It would be a great game to see, none the less.

Guest Prepfootball

ive seen film on obion. and me being a player for covington, i know that obion will not stop our running game. but obion can bring that west coast spread all they want but they will not score as much as covington i can promise u that covington will roll big

OC has so many options to throw to. They are not running a West Coast Offense (centering on may short, slant passes) I watched them score on three drives in under a min last Friday. I mean, 3 drives ended with passes of more than 60 yards. One receiver had more than 200 yards receiving. Not the norm in HS football. They may not stop Covington on the groud everytime, but OC can put up the points much faster than can Covington. Covington may win, but they will not "roll big."

Earlier on it was stated..Eventhough they had the untimely death of one of their key players, they should have handled LC better than they did...My reply to that is losing a player that good will hurt a team who has a offense that has him as a major factor. But Chris Phelon was more than that, thats losing a best friend and a great teamate. Players at OC are strugling over the whole situation. Do you get that? Not just having a tough time, but they are very questioning and strugling with the whole situation. I'm supprised that some of them could lace up and go with atleast a half way sound mind against LC. Sure, life is life, but friday night football has taken backseat in the mind of many people who were close to Chris.

The Gaines kid was their main back, but typical of Covington, they have several back there that can move. Not hardly the quality runner of Gaines but they still have the ability to break the big one. As far as Covington rolling big, sounds like a team that may be a little too cocky, but I guess thats warranted with 5 years of being unbeaten in the region. A great track record that may come to an end this friday night in Covington. This one will be a game to watch.

It might be Obion County's year, but that doesn't mean you go undefeated. Big plays against Lake Co. isn't anything to brag about. Wait till you see the speed Covington will have. No way will you "run" with Covington. Also, Covington has very few 2 way players. Big advantage in 3A football. It will be a good game, but no chance for obion to win.

Posted by dynasty03:

Earlier on it was stated..Eventhough they had the untimely death of one of their key players, they should have handled LC better than they did...My reply to that is losing a player that good will hurt a team who has a offense that has him as a major factor. But Chris Phelon was more than that, thats losing a best friend and a great teamate. Players at OC are strugling over the whole situation. Do you get that? Not just having a tough time, but they are very questioning and strugling with the whole situation. I'm supprised that some of them could lace up and go with atleast a half way sound mind against LC. Sure, life is life, but friday night football has taken backseat in the mind of many people who were close to Chris.

Let me start off appologizing for making my previous statement sound uncaring toward Chris's death, his family, and/or the team as a whole. That was not my intention at all, rather to say that I think that the Rebels are a good enough team that normally they would have taken care of a team like LC with or without just one player. It was not meant to belittle the situation in any way. I am sorry if it was construed as such.

obion can def win this game......if they show up focused..

obion will score, that is for sure, as the offense they run is extremly hard to shut out...

the question is can obion d stop cov run attack....speed kills.... cov has the speed.....

if obion can stop cov run attack, then obion wins....

good luck rebs

Agreed! If anyone can stop the run and make a team one deminsional or 3 and out, then they will win. That is what every team tries to do every week. But Covington has speed and there is no substitute for speed. How fast is Obion? I know they can execute on offense, but what about there defensive speed. Can they keep Covington running backs from turning the corner on the outside?