Slide Tackles...don't let them slide any longer

Canesoverhere

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.... if they want to play a contact sport, we as parents, refs, coaches and trainers, owe it to these young ladies to make sure:

1. They know the dangers and risks involved

2. Make sure they are in the best possible physical condition

3. Make sure they are properly trained by qualified coaches and trainers

4. Make sure they are protected by knowledgeable and competant officials

5. When they are injured severely, that they follow the doctors instructions to the T, and complete all required therapy, as well as not cheat and come back before they are supposed to.

High School Soccer is a Competitive sport, we don't need to cheapen the game, if you want rules like no slide-tackling go play AYSO.

Well transam, that all sounds well and good.......but can you tell me when points 1-5 will be the rule instead of the exception....after all, "owe it to these young ladies to make sure". Let me point out I have nothing against slide tackling as part of the game. So far, 'knock-on-wood", that has not been a factor in my daughter's history. I happen to see this from the medical point of view. Much research is done in sports medicine by various organizations in trying to promote safer play in ALL sports. Your daughter plays club, would she really miss the slide tackles for 3 mos of HS? In some games you never see it. But I'll go back to my previous post, I'm looking at the new players coming up to HS, and the many club players who are saying it's not worth the risk of playing HS due to increase chance of injury from the unskilled. But get points 1-5 solved overnite, and I would say 'Play On'.

THIS IS NOT AMERICAN HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL! There is no mercy rule. Clock never stops running no matter the score. Ref's should not let that hand ball, or slide tackle go just because it will not change the outcome of the game. These are safety issues, and LAWS OF THE GAME. They MUST be followed.

Ref's are to be blades of grass on the field. They are not for or against either team. I have never seen a ref, in my 30+ years of playing/coaching, let something dangerous go because they felt sorry for the team getting stomped.

I have seen them hold subs at the half line due to coaches fussing too much about this and that.

Actually there is a mercy rule if the coaches agree (we were involved in two of these last year). And the clock does stop in high school on goals, pk's and injuries when the ref signals the clock operator. And I totally agree, the refs shouldn't let that dangerous play go when the outcome is inevitable, but it happens.

(Also note that I said handled ball in my post.) Yes, I too am a ref but avoiding high school until my daughter graduates.

Should we next ban women from competitive sports played on a field or court because they are more likely to suffer an ACL injury? A Unites States Naval Academy study of college athletes found women suffered ACL injuries at the rate of four times that of men. The list of theories for this are:

- An imbalance between a female's hamstring and quadricep muscle strength that results in heightened pressure on the ACL.

- Women's smaller, and thus more vulnerable, knee ligaments.

- The angle at which the female femur (thighbone) connects to the tibia (shinbone), placing greater stress on the knee and its ligaments.

-Increases in estrogen levels during the menstrual cycle, which weaken ligaments.

Answer to Golazo10

No, do not ban all sports that pressure the ACL (soccer, volleyball, basketball and others), but perhaps do not do certain things that obviously are more dangerous for young women and which do not materially enhance the games. That's all Bean is advocating on this string (and I support his position).

AMEN!

For instance.....in football if you are the last man and catch someone running for a touchdown and you tackle him from behind and prevent the winning TD your instant folklore.

In Soccer if you are the last man and tackle someone from behind thereby saving a goal and the game, you are given a red card (understood) but are then subject to suspension from school.