Big Games in Memphis ... Week 5

kwc

Thanks , again, to kwc, dou, TraderB, Ace5 and others for your interesting and insightful analysis of Memphis area teams. Here in upper West Tennessee we get almost no news of high schools in your area since the Commercial Appeal stopped delivery here.

YW olddevil. We try to keep the dialogue going on Memphis and surrounding area schools. There is quite a lot to discuss and debate. I know I started this thread discussing Week 5 Big Games in Memphis, but I want to ask a general question about the playoffs to those who are following this particular discussion.

Will the playoffs be seperated by classisfication such as 1A, 2A, and so on and so forth ... or will they combine the classifications like they have combined the districts? Because ... If they seperate the classifications ... yet the combined classifications per district have a definate affect on who goes and who doesn't ... just doesn't seem right to me. I'm still lost on how this will all work out. Taking the record into account doesn't work in my eyes because strength of schedule isn't a factor in that type of factoring. Take District 16 for example ... 6A has White Station, Whitehaven, and Memphis Central. 5A has Melrose, Memphis East, Mitchell, and Hamilton. The way I understand it ... 1 of the 6A have an automatic bid and 2 of the 5A have an automatic bid ... as well as the top two in the district. Since White Station has won the WH/WSH matchup ... WSH will get the 6A automatic bid. WH will have to finish 2nd in the district to INSURE they get in the playoffs. That means that 2 of the four 5A teams gets an automatic bid if WH finishes second in the district. If Melrose, East, and Mitchell all split ... (Melrose has already beat Mitchell) ... then what decides the selection of the automatuc bid? Overall record? ... If that's the case ... Mitchell ... who has played a bunch of early season cupcakes will get a bid over Melrose and East who have played really good competition. Somebody please tell me that's not the case ... otherwise ... why play against good non-district teams and possibly get an L when you can play a cupcake and build up your W's? District 16 is already tough ... why add to your problem if you don't get rewarded for playing MUS ... or CBHS ... or South Panola, or Madison, MS? If I can play BTW and get a W because the overall record has more weight then playing a quality team then why do it especially when my district is tough? Where is the incentive to schedule quality competition?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks , again, to kwc, dou, TraderB, Ace5 and others for your interesting and insightful analysis of Memphis area teams. Here in upper West Tennessee we get almost no news of high schools in your area since the Commercial Appeal stopped delivery here.

YW olddevil. We try to keep the dialogue going on Memphis and surrounding area schools. There is quite a lot to discuss and debate. I know I started this thread discussing Week 5 Big Games in Memphis, but I want to ask a general question about the playoffs to those who are following this particular discussion.

Will the playoffs be seperated by classisfication such as 1A, 2A, and so on and so forth ... or will they combine the classifications like they have combined the districts? Because ... If they seperate the classifications ... yet the combined classifications per district have a definate affect on who goes and who doesn't ... just doesn't seem right to me. I'm still lost on how this will all work out. Taking the record into account doesn't work in my eyes because strength of schedule isn't a factor in that type of factoring. Take District 16 for example ... 6A has White Station, Whitehaven, and Memphis Central. 5A has Melrose, Memphis East, Mitchell, and Hamilton. The way I understand it ... 1 of the 6A have an automatic bid and 2 of the 5A have an automatic bid ... as well as the top two in the district. Since White Station has won the WH/WSH matchup ... WSH will get the 6A automatic bid. WH will have to finish 2nd in the district to INSURE they get in the playoffs. That means that 2 of the four 5A teams gets an automatic bid if WH finishes second in the district. If Melrose, East, and Mitchell all split ... (Melrose has already beat Mitchell) ... then what decides the selection of the automatuc bid? Overall record? ... If that's the case ... Mitchell ... who has played a bunch of early season cupcakes will get a bid over Melrose and East who have played really good competition. Somebody please tell me that's not the case ... otherwise ... why play against good non-district teams and possibly get an L when you can play a cupcake and build up your W's? District 16 is already tough ... why add to your problem if you don't get rewarded for playing MUS ... or CBHS ... or South Panola, or Madison, MS? If I can play BTW and get a W because the overall record has more weight then playing a quality team then why do it especially when my district is tough? Where is the incentive to schedule quality competition?

KWC,

My understanding is very similar to yours, with one minor exception. WSH has not guaranteed themselves a birth by beating WH (I think we're both assuming Central doesn't prominently figure in the equation). If WH wins out in region games, and WSH were to lose to say Melrose and Mitchell (or any 2 teams in the district (5A or 6A) then WH would get the automatic spot for the 6A portion since they would only have 1 loss and Station 2 district losses. Alll other points I agree with completely.

Also, I don't think wins or losses to teams outside the state count in playoff calculation, if you're in position for a wild card spot. But I'm not 100% sure on that.

CBHS- 20

Millington- 13

This is just a bad match-up for Millington. CBHS is a big strong team, that is fundamentally sound. Yes, they are a step or two, slow on defense and just have average speed on offense. But, I just do not think that Millington's has the offensive scheme, nor the players to beat CBHS this year.

ECS- 31

USJ- 24

This is just based on current records and ECS's history of playing quality teams.

MUS- 45

East- 14

Except for East having a couple of exceptional athletes that may make an exceptional play or two, MUS is simply a much better football team.

My vote:

6-A

1. Whitehaven

2. White Station

3. Millington

4. G-Town, Houston, whoever

5-A

1. East

2. Melrose

3.Mitchell

4. Ridgeway

5. Whoever............

My Top Public football teams, regardless of classification:

-------------------------------------------

1) White Station

2) Whitehaven

3) East

4) Germantown

5) Melrose

6) Mitchell

7) Ridgeway

8) (whoever...)

This is a joke right? They have 1 win under their belt, while Craigmont has only lost one game by ONE POINT after giving up 50 yards of offense to Cordova. I'll make sure the players in the Craigmont locker room see this to give them some fire.

This is a joke right? They have 1 win under their belt, while Craigmont has only lost one game by ONE POINT after giving up 50 yards of offense to Cordova. I'll make sure the players in the Craigmont locker room see this to give them some fire.

I did NOT forget about Craigmont. I DID forget about Arlington.

In either case, I would still rank both of those teams BEHIND Ridgeway, for the following reason:

Neither team has played a top-notch opponent. Until they do, the "jury" is still out on them... Neither Cordova nor Collierville are top-notch teams, IMO.

-----------------------------------------

My (revised) Top Public football teams, regardless of classification:

1) White Station

2) Whitehaven

3) East

4) Germantown

5) Melrose

6) Mitchell

7) Ridgeway

8a) Arlington

8b) Craigmont

10) (whoever)

So all that's required is you play a "top-notch" team? It doesn't matter if you win or lose? THEYVE WON ONE FREAKIN GAME!!! So let me understand your logic. If you lose to White Station and Whitehaven, this makes you a good team. Kingsbury has lost to MUS and Briarcrest. Are they a "good team?" By the end of the year, Central will be the best team in the state after playing Mitchell, Whitehaven, White Station, Melrose, and East. Don't interpret all this as me saying that Craigmont is the best team in the area. That is not what I am saying. What I AM saying is that Ridgeway is in no way, shape, or form a better team than Craigmont. Theyve got one of the best defenses in the area and the offense has gotten worlds better since the first game of the season. Keep on givin me as much as you can concerning Craigmont. This stuff is going straight to the locker room onto every locker. Keep it comin TraderB

I disagree with Germantown being a top public school this yr. They have played 1 good team being CBHS and lost 17-7. Collierville is way down Gtown only beating them by 1 point and Houston who was beat by Bolton ..Gtown won by 2 TD's. Arlington put 14 points on them in the Jamboree quick... I have to disagree Trader B.

So all that's required is you play a "top-notch" team? It doesn't matter if you win or lose? THEYVE WON ONE FREAKIN GAME!!! So let me understand your logic. If you lose to White Station and Whitehaven, this makes you a good team. Kingsbury has lost to MUS and Briarcrest. Are they a "good team?" By the end of the year, Central will be the best team in the state after playing Mitchell, Whitehaven, White Station, Melrose, and East. Don't interpret all this as me saying that Craigmont is the best team in the area. That is not what I am saying. What I AM saying is that Ridgeway is in no way, shape, or form a better team than Craigmont. Theyve got one of the best defenses in the area and the offense has gotten worlds better since the first game of the season. Keep on givin me as much as you can concerning Craigmont. This stuff is going straight to the locker room onto every locker. Keep it comin TraderB

GoChiefs,

Plese don't be ridiculous!

Of course is NOT enough to merely play a top-notch team! I never said that it was...

-------------------------------------------

You clearly misinterpreted my comments. I didn't think that I needed to spell-out the whole thing. That's why I put the three dots (...) at the end of the sentence! :thumb:

I was obviously incorrect.

Correct interpretation: Since neither Craigmont nor Arilington have played a top-notch opponent, the 'jury' is still out on them--regarding their true strength and whether they REALLY are any good!

In other words, it's advisable to reserve judgment on Craigmont and Arlington until more compelling evidence comes available: I need to see how competitive these two teams are against top-notch competition! Then (and only then) I can draw a prudent, bonafide conclusion.

I hope that my position is now clearer. :thumb:

I disagree with Germantown being a top public school this yr. They have played 1 good team being CBHS and lost 17-7. Collierville is way down Gtown only beating them by 1 point and Houston who was beat by Bolton ..Gtown won by 2 TD's. Arlington put 14 points on them in the Jamboree quick... I have to disagree Trader B.

You make very valid points about G'twn.

Anyway, here's why I put G'twn ahead of Melrose, Mitchell and Ridgeway:

1) none of these 4 teams are really much better than the other, IMHO. I don't care what their respective records suggest, on the surface.

2) Gtwn typically executes better than those other 3 teams

3) G'twn has a better kicking game

4) Gtwn has better coaching

-------------------------------------

As for Arlington....Again, I reserve judgement.

While Arlington fared very well vs Gtwn during the Jamboree, please remember that it was just 1/2 of a game-- a practice game, no less. Oh sure, it is definitely a very good sign for Arlington! It's still advisable to take it with a grain of salt. This is particularly true of a team like Arlington, one that won only 1 game last season!

We shall see...

As well as MUS has done this season, they still haven't played a game with their best running back, Keith McBride, who is the second highest rated prospect on the team (behind QB Brunetti). He is a speedy tank. Rumor has it that he will play against East. If so, East better wear all red to hide the blood. You really can't call the score; it depends on how much Brunetti plays and whether there is a "running clock"

shortening the game. MUS should cruise.

CBHS' loss to Whitehaven was a surprise to many. They are a good team, better than they have been for several years. No way will they lose at home to Millington, who is NOT as good as they have been for the last several years.

As far as ECS-USJ, WHO CARES? ECS chose to drop down a division and become the big fish in the little pond (II-A). The only way you can rate them is how they do against CBHS, the only real challenge on their schedule. I'll ignore them until them. By the way, it's absurd for them to be ranked #3 in the AP DII poll. There are at least 6 or 7 II-AA teams that are better (which is why they joined II-A).