AP 3A Football poll - Sept 22nd

BCsportsfan

We know in Memphis that all the East Tn folk don't hold many of the teams from inner city Memphis in very high regard, but Manassas is a 3A team that deserves some votes. Returning 16 starters off last year's 9-2 season, the tigers are 4-1 and continue to impress. Led by left tackle OC Brown (11 division 1 offers incuding Colorado, Kentucky, and Southern Ms), the offense has averaged over 400 yards in thier last 4 games. The defense is starting to find itself and the team looks to make a significant playoff run. They are odds on favorite to win the district which should give them at least 1 home agame starting the playoffs and a favorable seed. Don't be surprised to see them in the hunt come playoff time. It is just a shame that 2 loss teams are in the AP top 20 and Manassas doesn't even get a look.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We know in Memphis that all the East Tn folk don't hold many of the teams from inner city Memphis in very high regard, but Manassas is a 3A team that deserves some votes. Returning 16 starters off last year's 9-2 season, the tigers are 4-1 and continue to impress. Led by left tackle OC Brown (11 division 1 offers incuding Colorado, Kentucky, and Southern Ms), the offense has averaged over 400 yards in thier last 4 games. The defense is starting to find itself and the team looks to make a significant playoff run. They are odds on favorite to win the district which should give them at least 1 home agame starting the playoffs and a favorable seed. Don't be surprised to see them in the hunt come playoff time. It is just a shame that 2 loss teams are in the AP top 20 and Manassas doesn't even get a look.

Pretty impressive! I will be keeping my eyes peeled for info on Manassas. It is hard to judge teams that are so far away as I am in Knoxville. When the playoffs start, we will have a better idea how the west teams measure up.

As far as 2 loss teams, I would agree, but in the case of A-E, you have to understand that the 2 losses are to very good higher division teams (6A and 5A) and they lost both games by a total of 3 points if memory serves. It's hard to overlook a team like that. Just hope they get knocked off before my team has to play them. Or....maybe not. Sounds like a great game to go watch!!

My thoughts are........CAK over Elizabethton by 7 pts. :lol:

I'd love to see CAK and Milan play last year and this year. Talk about a war! :thumb:

IMO, Polk County is the most overrated on the current poll.

Just curious why you would think that Polk County is the most overrated. To me this team is solid, seen them a couple of times, granted I havent seen the others (but will see CAK friday). Maybe because of the last 4 years in one of the weakest regions. They did beat McMinn Central (who is in the top 10) easily, but maybe they are a bit overrated also. Maybe your right, time will tell.

Just curious on your impressions of Polk Co. and CAK now that you've seen both? No agenda, I just haven't seen Polk and I know you've seen both now.

It's hard for me to know much about several of these teams, but a couple of observations. Loudon IMO should be on the list some where IMO. I believe they will end up with a solid season in a tough district.

You can't look at the record of A-E (3-2) without taking into consideration who they've lost to, a 6-A and a 5-A school, both of which are playoff teams in their classifications.

There is going to be a great match up here in a few weeks between Elizabethton and CAK.

Right now my top 5 would be:

1. Alcoa

2. Milan

3. A-E

4. Elizabethton

5. CAK

Having said that, I would love to see a matchup between Milan and CAK, A-E, or Loudon. IMHO, the best 3A football is being played in the East right now.

Why is the best football in the east? I know the best team is in the east. I could not and would not argue that, but how many west tennessee games have you seen this year? My guess in none.

Well first of all, this thread calls for opinions which are speculation. I suspect the number of West games I've seen this year is very similar to the number of East games you've seen this year. Because I haven't, I prefaced my remarks with, "It's hard for me to know much about several of these teams."

While you may not agree with my opinion, I based it on how competitive West teams over the last few years have been against Alcoa compared to how competitive the games have been between some of the East teams that have played Alcoa. I also take into consideration what Alcoa fans and players who post on this board have opined. In previous threads about this topic, many of the Alcoa posters shared the opinion that several of the East teams would fare well against the best of the West. Since some of the better 3A (mostly formerly 2A) teams have not had the priveldge of playing the better West teams, this seems to be about the best basis I could come up with as a measuring stick for the recent past; and of course the past is all we have to judge East vs. West since we're only half way through this season.

I may be wrong, but I believe the region with Alcoa, CAK, and Loudon has to be considered to be among the toughest in 3A, perhaps the toughest. While we'll never know, I do think CAK and Loudon over the last several years would have been very competitive with the West's quarter, semi, and finalist. But of course, they have been knocked out in the second round by the same team that has destroyed the best of the West. So, in a final poll, those teams have to be placed higher since they made it farther, but it doesn't mean that it's accurate. We'll see how this season plays out, but I believe the same thing may be able to be said for this year as the last couple. Therefore, in my pinpoint accurate poll, I give more weight to a 5-0 East team than a 5-0 West team. Of course, your mileage may vary.

The difference is that you wont see me put down that an entire region is better than another. One reason Alcoa has some competitive games over there is because you guys know each other pretty well. Also, Alcoa doesn't play too many close games with anybody. For that matter, you would be hard pressed to find a team that statistically stayed with Alcoa like Milan did in the finals last year. Milan is a west team. Besides, you just can't say because we lost by 10 and you lost by 14, this team would beat that team. It just doesn't work that way

It's hard for me to know much about several of these teams, but a couple of observations. Loudon IMO should be on the list some where IMO. I believe they will end up with a solid season in a tough district.

You can't look at the record of A-E (3-2) without taking into consideration who they've lost to, a 6-A and a 5-A school, both of which are playoff teams in their classifications.

There is going to be a great match up here in a few weeks between Elizabethton and CAK.

Right now my top 5 would be:

1. Alcoa

2. Milan

3. A-E

4. Elizabethton

5. CAK

Having said that, I would love to see a matchup between Milan and CAK, A-E, or Loudon. IMHO, the best 3A football is being played in the East right now.

Why is the best football in the east? I know the best team is in the east. I could not and would not argue that, but how many west tennessee games have you seen this year? My guess in none.

Well first of all, this thread calls for opinions which are speculation. I suspect the number of West games I've seen this year is very similar to the number of East games you've seen this year. Because I haven't, I prefaced my remarks with, "It's hard for me to know much about several of these teams."

While you may not agree with my opinion, I based it on how competitive West teams over the last few years have been against Alcoa compared to how competitive the games have been between some of the East teams that have played Alcoa. I also take into consideration what Alcoa fans and players who post on this board have opined. In previous threads about this topic, many of the Alcoa posters shared the opinion that several of the East teams would fare well against the best of the West. Since some of the better 3A (mostly formerly 2A) teams have not had the priveldge of playing the better West teams, this seems to be about the best basis I could come up with as a measuring stick for the recent past; and of course the past is all we have to judge East vs. West since we're only half way through this season.

I may be wrong, but I believe the region with Alcoa, CAK, and Loudon has to be considered to be among the toughest in 3A, perhaps the toughest. While we'll never know, I do think CAK and Loudon over the last several years would have been very competitive with the West's quarter, semi, and finalist. But of course, they have been knocked out in the second round by the same team that has destroyed the best of the West. So, in a final poll, those teams have to be placed higher since they made it farther, but it doesn't mean that it's accurate. We'll see how this season plays out, but I believe the same thing may be able to be said for this year as the last couple. Therefore, in my pinpoint accurate poll, I give more weight to a 5-0 East team than a 5-0 West team. Of course, your mileage may vary.

The difference is that you wont see me put down that an entire region is better than another. One reason Alcoa has some competitive games over there is because you guys know each other pretty well. Also, Alcoa doesn't play too many close games with anybody. For that matter, you would be hard pressed to find a team that statistically stayed with Alcoa like Milan did in the finals last year. Milan is a west team. Besides, you just can't say because we lost by 10 and you lost by 14, this team would beat that team. It just doesn't work that way

Yea, but A-E lost to OOLTEWAH by 1 pt, and Knox Catholic by 2 pts.

Just IMO, I see them beating both Milan and Camden. :thumb:

Now why do you see them beating Milan and Camden? I know the answer. They are from your side of the river. Maybe they would. I don't know and neither do you. Luckily there is a playoff. Not trying to start another Alcoa/Milan argument. It is way too early for that, but it is awful presumptuous for you to make that kind of statement. We take a lot of pride in our football over here too. I do hope we find out on the field.

Howdy Huf :lol:.........I think AE has a pretty good defense this year. Especially against the run. In a AE/Milan matchup........I see AE doing what Alcoa did last year against Milan. And, that is shutting the run game down and forcing Milan to throw the ball more than they do typically. Milan is a good passing team, but Milan uses their running game to make the passing game work?

But understand, I'm merely giving my opinion. :lol: Good luck Milan! :huh:

I understand, and I am not advocating that Milan is the 2nd best team in the state. I think they can hang with just about anyone for sure. I just think there it is a little inaccurate for an entire region to ride Alcoa's coat tails and claim to be the best region.

imo, milan will be back against alcoa in the SCG(state championship game).

What key players do Alcoa return?

Nobody wants to see Avery Williamson again this year. That's for sure. :thumb:

Milan would have to come up with wrinkles to beat Alcoa. A lot of them. Maybe go back to the John Tucker days and have a totally different offense week to week.

With all due respect to the Milan Bulldogs, you're probably gonna have to beat Camden to get there. I think they are probably gonna be the strongest defensive team in 3A you'll see on this side of the TN River. Held Huntingdon to 207 yards and 3.8 yards a carry last night. They put a physical pounding on whoever they play.

[quote name='"hufstedler02

Right now my top 5 would be]

Why is the best football in the east? I know the best team is in the east. I could not and would not argue that' date=' but how many west tennessee games have you seen this year? My guess in none.[/quote']

The ironic thing is that I did put Milan #2 in my pinpoint accurate :thumb: poll, ahead of the east teams. JMHO that the last several years some of the teams that Alcoa knocked out would have been contenders to go to the finals (just like Goodpasture, Milan, etc.) had they been in the west where they didn't have to face Alcoa to get there. You can't possibly disagree that it is an advantage that the west teams don't face Alcoa till the finals, right? I mean, what would have happened if Milan had faced Alcoa in the first round last year? Answer: they would have been knocked out in round one, even though they were the second best in the state. That's just the nature of our system. If Alcoa weren't 3A, it could be that Camden and Milan are the top 2 teams in the state, but they can't both get to the finals.

As far as generalizing regions, we see it every year over here. We have some regions that have a team or two that can go through the regular season with a near perfect record, only to be throttled in the first round by team with an inferior record. (Example: Gatlinburg Pittman). They are very good teams, but sometimes there are better teams playing in another region that are beating up on each other.

Maybe one of these days we'll have a more perfect system. Or, maybe some of the other good programs will have the privledge of facing some of the top west teams. Personally, I would love to see Milan and CAK play.