Dickson Co. at Springfield

LEON

This will be the first meeting since 1988 when the Cougars beat the Jackets 28-0. Dickson Co. went on to go undefeated and win the AAA State Championship under coach Jerry Pearson , a former player and later head coach at Springfield , who quarterbacked the Jackets to the 1956 and 1957 Clinic Bowl with both games ending in scoreless ties against MBA and Hillsbro. Pearson's younger brother Jimbo was also a member of those teams , he was also head coach at SHS from 73-75 having turned the program around in 1975 with an NCC and Industrial Bowl Championship. Sadly Jimbo died unexpectly in the spring of 1976 , brother Jerry returned in 1979 to coach the Jackets , taking them to a Bowl Championship in 1980 and Dist. 9 AAA Championship in 1981 and Tobacco Bowl appearance in 1984 , he left in 1987 to become the Dickson Co coach. I don't know much about Dickson and if anyone has in thoughts on the game lets hear them , I know both teams are in a rebuilding year and have new coaches.

From what I know about Dickson Co., they should take this game fairly easily, but who knows! They should have definately beaten a Clarksville NW team that they were much better than and whom they outgained in total offense, but that didn't happen, thanks to 5 fumbles on potential scoring drives. I do know they are banged up with some injuries, but I still expect this team to compete for the District Championship with Henry Co. and make the 6 A playoffs. Don't know much about Springfield, but I have seen some scores vs. similar competition. My bet Dickson Co. 35 Springfield 17.

From what I know about Dickson Co., they should take this game fairly easily, but who knows! They should have definately beaten a Clarksville NW team that they were much better than and whom they outgained in total offense, but that didn't happen, thanks to 5 fumbles on potential scoring drives. I do know they are banged up with some injuries, but I still expect this team to compete for the District Championship with Henry Co. and make the 6 A playoffs. Don't know much about Springfield, but I have seen some scores vs. similar competition. My bet Dickson Co. 35 Springfield 17.

Northwest is tough this year and beat Dickson Co plain and simple. Good luck to Kelly, Chris, and the boys....GO SPRINGFIELD!

After watching Springfield play in Paris last Friday night, it's obvious that there program is on the rise as well! They played a very good game last week against a very strong HC Patriot squad. This should be a good game with the improved Cougars going to Springfield..good luck to both squads!

On another note, a very good friend of mine is the Quarterback Club President at Henry Co. He is trying to put together a 4-man scramble golf tournament on Friday Oct. 23th, the day of the HC/DC game at Paris Landing State Park. This friendly challlenge between the Dickson and Paris communities will be both fun and raise money for BOTH schools. There "would" be a trophy presentation to the winning team at halftime of the game! HOWEVER, after many attempts, NO ONE from Dickson has responded with ANY interest in helping or participating. When he told me this, I was shocked. As many times as we have played at Dickson in front of some of the most passionate fans in TN, I couldn't believe they wouldn't want to participate in this. It seems to me, if you are trying to build your program back, you would welcome the opportunity to obtain a little extra $$ even if it's with the help of your biggest rival! I plan on playing in this event...and I hope the Dickson fans will join in as well...then next year, we could come and play at the Greystone or Montgomery Bell. Come on Cougars, get involved. I lost my friend's cell number, but you can contact the athletic director at HC, I know he has his number...if you are willing to drum up some support! Thanks..and good luck Cougars and Jackets tomorrow night!