Region 4-3a split is over

fanman

Posted by KevB1990:
Posted by swamp:

Getting back on topic...

I'm glad to see the split gone, although I would have like to have seen the regions aligned a little better so that there were only 8 teams or less. I think 9 region games is a little much, even though I hate the split. What really needs to happen is region 3 needs to be dissolved and its 5 teams absorbed into other regions.

Maybe in 2005, I guess.

Methinks TSSAA needs to reposition a lot of teams...G-P is leaving 1-3A and nobody is coming in. I'd like to see Unicoi come back down, but they are sacrificing playoff opportunities for lower travel expenses. Same thing with Johnson County.

Any suggestions on how to fix it? Anyone?

I thought Johnson Co. had a 4A enrollment, but I knew that Unicoi played up.

I personally like the 16-dist format, but with the current classification system that would lead to really small districts. Grundy Co. could do us all (including themselves) a favor by playing up to 4A.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted by SCRAPPY:

I'm glad the coaches in this league have got it right and hope that the mid-state's 4A leagues follow suit. 10 teams in a region is too many, especially when there are several regions where 4-of-6 or 4-of-7 make the playoffs. Make more regions with fewer playoffs berths - or let the number of teams in the league determine the number of bigs. (i.e. a 10-team region gets five bids and a six-team league gets two - or maybe three. I'd like to see the TSSAA clean the current mess so teams can still take pride in Region titles. I still don't know if Hillsboro or Columbia - or White House or Pearl-Cohn - won their leagues last year.

I can see some merit in that, but I still like the 16x2 approach for playoffs.

Posted by swamp:
Posted by KevB1990:
Posted by swamp:

Getting back on topic...

I'm glad to see the split gone, although I would have like to have seen the regions aligned a little better so that there were only 8 teams or less. I think 9 region games is a little much, even though I hate the split. What really needs to happen is region 3 needs to be dissolved and its 5 teams absorbed into other regions.

Maybe in 2005, I guess.

Methinks TSSAA needs to reposition a lot of teams...G-P is leaving 1-3A and nobody is coming in. I'd like to see Unicoi come back down, but they are sacrificing playoff opportunities for lower travel expenses. Same thing with Johnson County.

I personally like the 16-dist format, but with the current classification system that would lead to really small districts. Grundy Co. could do us all (including themselves) a favor by playing up to 4A.

Johnson County has 2A enrollment, they're up two classes.

i'm not much up on statewide Football but uhh why would you play up 2 classes just 2? i understand 1. how are they doing playin 2 up?

Posted by KevB1990:
Posted by swamp:
Posted by KevB1990:
Posted by swamp:

Getting back on topic...

Maybe in 2005, I guess.

i'm not much up on statewide Football but uhh why would you play up 2 classes just 2? i understand 1. how are they doing playin 2 up?

Posted by KevB1990:
Posted by swamp:
Posted by KevB1990:
Posted by swamp:

Getting back on topic...

Maybe in 2005, I guess.

Posted by KevB1990:
Posted by swamp:
Posted by KevB1990:
Posted by swamp:

Getting back on topic...

Maybe in 2005, I guess.

Don't know how Johnson Co is doing playing up, but I know that they minimize their travel expenses by doing so, as there are an abundance of 4A teams in the Upper East.

KevB, much like Grundy Co, Sullivan North really screws up any possibility of 3A balance, don't they?! If you get them out you could do several things with the Knox area 3A's!

Posted by swamp:

Don't know how Johnson Co is doing playing up, but I know that they minimize their travel expenses by doing so, as there are an abundance of 4A teams in the Upper East.

KevB, much like Grundy Co, Sullivan North really screws up any possibility of 3A balance, don't they?! If you get them out you could do several things with the Knox area 3A's!

Surpringly swamp, Johnson County made the playoffs last year. (Tells you how weak 1-4A is after Tennessee High and Elizabethton). They were promptly shelled by West.

North is making things hard. One alternative is if TSSAA changes the enrollment figures to make 3A have a higher limit, Volunteer is right on the lower end of 4A and would come back down. I don't know if 1,050 is a good place to cut off for 3A though.

Volunteer, North, Johnson County, Unicoi then would make it rougher. When 1-3A had all four, it was murder on everyone...especially Seymour and G-P. There's just not a short route to Mountain City.

The best alternative is to have the Sullivan County school board redraw their lines so North has more students and they can play up there in 1-4A. But if I saw it right, North has only 30 more students than Rutledge does which puts the in the top 1/3 of 3A.

D-B has plenty, maybe the city can redraw the lines a little and send about 250 to Bloomingdale.

Speaking of enrollments...Carter's enrollment drops them under the cutoff for 3A and Anderson County's is back above the 4A mark...think anybody has addressed this in Strawberry Plains?

[Edited by KevB1990 on 9-18-02 9:58P]

Posted by KevB1990:
Posted by swamp:

Surpringly swamp, Johnson County made the playoffs last year. (Tells you how weak 1-4A is after Tennessee High and Elizabethton). They were promptly shelled by West.

North is making things hard. One alternative is if TSSAA changes the enrollment figures to make 3A have a higher limit, Volunteer is right on the lower end of 4A and would come back down. I don't know if 1,050 is a good place to cut off for 3A though.

Volunteer, North, Johnson County, Unicoi then would make it rougher. When 1-3A had all four, it was murder on everyone...especially Seymour and G-P. There's just not a short route to Mountain City.

The best alternative is to have the Sullivan County school board redraw their lines so North has more students and they can play up there in 1-4A. But if I saw it right, North has only 30 more students than Rutledge does which puts the in the top 1/3 of 3A.

D-B has plenty, maybe the city can redraw the lines a little and send about 250 to Bloomingdale.

Speaking of enrollments...Carter's enrollment drops them under the cutoff for 3A and Anderson County's is back above the 4A mark...think anybody has addressed this in Strawberry Plains?

[Edited by KevB1990 on 9-18-02 9:58P]

It may not matter for the Jackets; the way our enrollment is trending, we'll be 2A in 2005. Afaik, neither And. Co. nor Carter is moving. I'd say Carter prefers 4A, anyway, although I think they'd rather be in region 2. (If they do drop, I hope that they get stuck with you guys; that's too far for us).

[Edited by swamp on 9-19-02 6:50A]

Posted by SCRAPPY:

I'm glad the coaches in this league have got it right and hope that the mid-state's 4A leagues follow suit. I still don't know if Hillsboro or Columbia - or White House or Pearl-Cohn - won their leagues last year.

Hillsboro and Pearl Cohn were the Side A and B winners last year.