Class A Playoff Bracketology

So that we will have a partial idea about how the playoffs will look this year, I've put together this list of qualifying teams for the Class A series based on some of the results to date.

The number beside each school name is the district of the school. If Week 6 was the last week, there would be 18 automatic qualifiers. Because I don't have access to the "tie-breaking" data, I've used the Strength+Success Ranking to complete the field. Wildcard teams are marked with an asterisk.

The list is then broken into four quadrants, which I have roughly done based on districts. The top two teams in each quadrant receive a first-round bye, denoted by the number sign. In real life these spots will be determined by win-loss record (and the tiebreakers that follow), but for this sample I've used the Strength+Success Ranking.

Cloudland 1

Knoxville Grace 3#

Harriman 3#

Sunbright 4

Clay County 4

Gordonsville 4

Copper Basin 5*

South Pittsburg 6#

Whitwell 6*#

Lookout Valley 6*

Middle TN Chr. 9

Huntland 9

Jo Byrns 10#

Clarksville Academy 10

Wayne County 11

Collinwood 11

Cornersville 11*

Huntingdon 13#

West Carroll 13

Gleason 13*#

Union City 14

Lake County 14#

South Fulton 14*

MAHS 16

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Soooo... you receive a 1st round bye for winning the district?

You get a first round bye for being a #1 or a #2 seed in the quadrant.

Also, I would not look for MAHS to make the playoffs. They are the only 1A in a district with only 3 teams in it total. They won't win the district and the chances of them getting a wild card are slim and none and none had already left town. Huntingdon will in all likelyhood be in quad 4 not quad 3.

If MAHS beats Westwood they are in the playoffs. They would be top two in their district of three sad as that is.

That is so true. However, as bas as Westwood is, I say they beat MAHS. And that travesty of justice would make Westwood playoff eligible in 2A while some much more worthy teams are sitting at home.

The Z Plan could work really well. It could also let some teams in that would have never made it under the old top 4 in a region make the playoff days.