Class AAA Playoff Bracketology

So that we will have a partial idea about how the playoffs will look this year, I've put together this list of qualifying teams for the Class AAA series based on some of the results to date.

The number beside each school name is the district of the school. If Week 6 was the last week, there would be 24 automatic qualifiers. Because I don't have access to the "tie-breaking" data, I've used the Strength+Success Ranking to complete the field. Wildcard teams are marked with an asterisk.

The list is then broken into four quadrants, which I have roughly done based on districts.

As I understand it, the brackets will be completed in an attempt to keep district-mates from playing each other in the first round. This will be easier in the larger classes than it will be in A and AA because of the smaller fields and first-round byes.

Elizabethton 1

Johnson County 1

Sullivan North 1*

Happy Valley 1*

Cumberland Gap 2

West Greene 2

Austin-East 3

Gatlinburg-Pittman 3

Alcoa 4

CAK 4

Loudon 4*

Kingston 4*

McMinn Central 5

Polk County 5

Tyner 6

Bledsoe County 7

Sequatchie County 7

Cannon County 8

Smith County 8

York Institute 8*

Goodpasture 9

Pearl Cohn 10

Camden 11

Stewart County 11

Harpeth 11*

Fairview 12

Hickman County 12

Hickman County 12*

Milan 13

Westview 13*

Manassas 15

Oakhaven 16

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't understand a couple of things. It is going to be very tough for Harpeth & Stewart County to both qualify to make the playoffs since they are in the same district. Pearl Cohn has to beat CPA just to get into the playoffs. If CPA beats the Firebirds then East Literature & CPA would both finish ahead of Pearl Cohn in the final district standings. Hickman County has to beat East Hickman & Lewis County just to make the playoffs. That is going to be very tough for them to do. Also you have them listed TWICE in your list of teams. Did you mean to put East Hickman as the other team?

I was unaware that Lewis County has already beaten Hickman County this season. That wins puts the Panthers in great shape at getting an automatic bid in the future.

If the Class 3A Playoffs began this week then here would be the list of automatic bids based on their standing in the districts:

Elizabethton

Sullivan North

Cumberland Gap

West Greene

Gatlinburg Pittman

Austin East

Alcoa

CAK

Polk County

McMinn Central

Tyner

Bledsoe County

Sequatchie County

Smith County

Cannon County

Goodpasture

East Literature

Camden

Cheatham County

Fairview

Lewis County

Milan

Manassas

Booker T. Washington

The reason why both Gatlinburg Pittman & Austin East would go as automatic bids is that they would finish 1st & 2nd in the district and if that happens then both do get the automatic bid as oppose to one of them having to hope for a "wild card" berth into the playoffs.

That would only leave 8 spots to get "wild card" berths instead of the 9 spots that everyone in 3A hopes for by not having those 2 teams finish 1st & 2nd in the district or having JCM finish 1st or 2nd in their district.

HOPE THIS INFORMATION HELPS :D

Can we vote on what quadrant Alcoa goes in? :thumb:

I'm soliciting donations as we speak to charter a plane for the Tornadoes, destination, anywhere in W.TN. We'll even throw in a nice pair of chartered buses to take them from the airport to their luxury hotel, and a Hummer Limo for all the coaches. Along with a tractor trailer full of Kleenex tissues for all of the WTN football fans. :D

If this happened to be the brackets (which I know that there is a lot of football left) but look at the match ups in the 2nd quaradant (this is purley based on present records :D and the fact that teams from the same division cannot meet in the first round)

Alcoa vs Tyner

CAK vs McMinn Central

Bledsoe vs Loudon

Polk vs Kingston

OR

Alcoa vs McMinn Central

Bledsoe vs Loudon

CAK vs Tyner

Polk vs Kingston

some pretty nice match ups....

Can we vote on what quadrant Alcoa goes in? :D

I'm soliciting donations as we speak to charter a plane for the Tornadoes, destination, anywhere in W.TN. We'll even throw in a nice pair of chartered buses to take them from the airport to their luxury hotel, and a Hummer Limo for all the coaches. Along with a tractor trailer full of Kleenex tissues for all of the WTN football fans. :thumb:

FBD, I am in! Where do I donate?!? :D

• 2 weeks later...
man...if one of those brackets are true, then that is a tough few weeks for mcminn central...at alcoa in week 9, and back to alcoa in the first round!

Calm down smokey. I was told by a Central coach that Central and Sequatchie could play in week 10 and then meet in the first round if every thing goes as it should. Week 10 winner would determine home team in first round.

man...if one of those brackets are true, then that is a tough few weeks for mcminn central...at alcoa in week 9, and back to alcoa in the first round!

Calm down smokey. I was told by a Central coach that Central and Sequatchie could play in week 10 and then meet in the first round if every thing goes as it should. Week 10 winner would determine home team in first round.

The winner of week 10 will determine Home field for the playoffs, but i dont think they will meet in first round. Mcminn would stay east and Seq would go middle.