Two officials, thumbs up or down?

worden55

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have decided to officiate this year and I think it is a great idea. As a young official it is a great training ground.

My only concern is that it places the younger official directly in front of the bench. In Knoxville we have some coaches who chew through inexperienced officals and I hate having my back to them!

Seriously, a smart and vocal coach can keep an official on her toes. I agree that the pace of the game is so fast now that you have to have 2!

OC, if you are going to be an official, how are you going to handle officiating with your comments on this site about some schools. Are you going to refuse to officiate some matches? Or are you just jesting about the officiating part. Interesting delimia.

I think it would be hard to ref an Oak Ridge game, but I could do the others. I will do OR ganes just like Karns uses Phoenix Rising coaches as there personal officiating crew and no one cares.

Also Coach Cantrell and Coach Jones will get no warnings. This year they will get an immediate Red. They have exausted their quota of warnings. At our early bird tournament Cantrell must have gotten a dozen cards and Jones wasn't far behind. Boys, that day is over.

Officiating needs to get more aggressive and let the players decide the matches.

OC, if you are going to be an official, how are you going to handle officiating with your comments on this site about some schools. Are you going to refuse to officiate some matches? Or are you just jesting about the officiating part. Interesting delimia.

Very Good point:

From what I have read Orcat is too close to the fire to officiate any District games in her area. She should NOT officiate in respect to the game. Officials who reside in a specific district and feel so strongly are not able to be completely fair. Sorry but it is true. It would be in her best interest to pull out of the area. Remember, coaches can ban refs.

• 3 weeks later...

I think it would be hard to ref an Oak Ridge game, but I could do the others. I will do OR ganes just like Karns uses Phoenix Rising coaches as there personal officiating crew and no one cares.

Also Coach Cantrell and Coach Jones will get no warnings. This year they will get an immediate Red. They have exausted their quota of warnings. At our early bird tournament Cantrell must have gotten a dozen cards and Jones wasn't far behind. Boys, that day is over.

Officiating needs to get more aggressive and let the players decide the matches.

orcat,

A couple of words of wisdom from me to you, respectfully.

Don't ever preclude what you will or won't do to a coach sanction-wise. Much like pre-determining that a team "will" or "won't" commit X number of ball handling faults, net faults, or will/won't win the match, it's dangerous for us as officials to determine the outcome before play even begins. We are facilitators, not dictators - we ensure fair play and fair play starts with us.

Officiating is not "aggressive" or "not aggressive" - it is "fair". We have a rule set to enforce, nothing more and nothing less. Our personal viewpoints and opinions get set to the side. Are there rules and interpretations I wish were different? Sure. I think any person who has been involved in the game long enough has their own personal views. However, we are charged with enforcing the rules as they are written - otherwise, there are no rules.

Finally, if you have concerns or reservations about where you do/don't work, speak with your assigner. You have a wonderful high school referee board out there in Knoxville and I know they will do the right thing.

To paraphrase my old friend ComPassion - the game is about the kids. If the adults could stay out of the way, everything would be just fine.

Very well posted. Too much has be posted previously, everything should stop right now. The integrity of this sport is at stake. In fact, of the Officials Associations also. District 3 and 4, while great Schools and great coaches and fans, there are some things implied that are rough and tumble. If GLJ is saying that things will be kept under control, while I don't know, I know he knows. I know the officials know. Accusuations should be carefully worded and taken to the principal of the school. Whew, you can tell seasons are about to start.

Announcements