Big Games in Memphis ... Week 8

kwc

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9-0...what else does Arlington have to do?

Win their next six games! :roflol:

Great job Tigers. Great win tonight.

You had me worried there for a long time.

Tigers came out of the gate and dominated the 1st quarter. Two field goals and a touch for a 13-0 lead.

Then the chiefs dominated the 2nd quarter with 2 touches for a 14-13 halftime lead.

Third quarter was pretty much a wash.

Chiefs looked to own the 4th quarter driving to the Tiger 6 yard line where they stalled and missed a field attempt with less than 2 minutes left in the game. The Tigers completed a long pass to about the chief 10 yard line and were able to punch it in for the win 19-14.

Congrats to Arlington for a good win tonight! Any details....?

A few of us Millington folks went to the game. I was very impressed with both teams. I give you guys credit "Tigers" very well coached and no quit in your kids.

I also give Craigmont the same credit, they came back and fought hard.This was a very entertaining football game.

Both teams will be in the playoffs and will represent district 14 well.

The Arlington folks treated us Trojans very well and we will do the same in two weeks.

as for my picks this week I was way off. Senator I will not pick against your black and gold again.

Advice for Trojan fans the next two weeks and you will know what I mean. No talk, as a Trojan player once said "Let The Black Helmets Do The Talking"

Last thing Arlington posters we did not get our free POPCORN :roflol:

Dou

I'm fine, and it is fun. I'm disagreeing, but I'm not attacking anyone personally. Unlike some of the others on here. BTW, I'm probably older than you. 18.. :roflol: funny stuff.

Good luck to you and your team, this week and the rest of the season.

1st....welcome aboard! It's always good to see passionate fans join in to talk high school ball.

2nd....congrats to the obvious progress Arlington has made. Their schedule this year looks similar to what they had last year, and the wins/losses columns are going much better.

A bit of history....some of the local public schools, such as Millington, White Station, Whitehaven....have had several good years. Making it into the playoffs, and everyone thinking they were serious contenders to bring home the state trophy.

It seems Whitehaven has found ways to self destruct each year in the playoffs. Millington and White Station have made it to semi-final games where we ran into the Nashville rep, and lost. As a result, these teams have taken efforts to schedule tougher games locally. You'll notice games scheduled against CBHS, MUS, Olive Branch (Millington), and you can also see how MUS has gone into MS to play tough teams there. This is all done to elevate their opportunity to play at a higher level, so when playoff time comes around, perhaps we (West Tn team) can find a way to win a championship.

We can all see WS's losses to CBHS and MUS, Millington has 3 losses to their tougher opponents. Whitehaven has one blemish so far. Yet when we get into our regular games in our divisions/regions...we do pretty well. But based upon our performance against those other teams, it looks like whoever meets a Nashville area team will probably lose. Hopefully, after some time with tougher schedules, a West Tn team will find a way to get past Nashville.

This relates to Arlington in a couple of ways. Arlington has just discovered how to win. Once they get to playing tougher teams, the scores will get closer, and injuries likely to increase. You'll probably see an occassional loss pop up on your record. You'll find out how the Overton's of this area don't prepare your team to face the MUS's or CBHS's of this area, nor will you be prepared for the Nashville area teams.

So you will want to get a tougher schedule to measure yourself against....to see where you need to improve. Everyones ultimate goal is to win state. That doesn't mean you aren't having a wonderful season. But if you don't win state, your season ends on a loss, and you'll wish you had won that game too. I'm happy with the past 3 seasons at WS, proud of the players and coaches. But I do wish we could see success when it comes to a semi-final game...and a championship game.

So enjoy what you've got going, but understand the voices you hear on coacht are basically letting you know that Arlington has plenty to feel good about, but the journey isn't finished. There's rough spots ahead, and your schedule will reflect your ability to handle those spots.

Last item....IF Arlington was to win its way into a semi-final game this season (or beyond), you will find all of us jumping on the bandwagon pulling for the team representing the West. We all know this is about the kids and we're all good sports about the thing. :wacko:

Sorry for the ramble.....but I do that sometimes. :wacko:

SpartansFan,

That was an outstanding summation and profoundly accurate post !!!!!!!!!

You definitely get the "KEEPIN' IT REAL" award-of-the-year!

SpartansFan, please consider starting a NEW TOPIC (of some title)-- relating to the contents of your comments! Then, for starters, re-post your comments to that new thread......I just think that this issue really DESERVES to be out in the "open," and not remain "hidden" within this soon-to-be deserted thread! :thumb:

-----------------------------------

Here is just one related issue that I'm eager to see discussed, on your (hopefully) new thread/topic:

There's one additional thing that I think will also help our area teams eventually get over the "Middle/East Tennessee playoff hump" -- a "feeder" program!

Each High School and their respective "feeder" Middle School....these football coaches should sit down TOGETHER (leave the king-sized egos at the door) and PLEDGE to install and implement the exact SAME system (offensive/defensive/special teams, etc)! They should work "together" PERMANENTLY!! This way...by the time the middle school kids (players) "feed" into the high school, they will already be familiar and have extensive experience with the system that's being run @ the HS!

The benefits of such a "feeder" program are enormous and well documented. For the life of me, I really don't understand why this approach is not standard operating procedure for ALL our area schools!!!

Arl 24 ---- Crgmt 20 ................. Slugfest between 2 untested teams.

Gtwn 21 ---- Wood 13 ................ Gtwn just executes better.

Kirby 26 ---- Coll 24 ................ C'vlle can't keep pace in this wild game!

Whvn 28 --- Mitc 18 ................ Another year, same result.

ECS 34 --- FACS 17 ............... ECS is too strong.

CBHS 28 --- Briar 10 ................ Briarcrest is simply overmatched.

Arlington just keeps on keeping on.... Congratulations! Solid effort Craigmont.

Arlington's huge win over Craigmont sets up a huge game at Millington. Now, all eyes are going to be on THAT game! Arlington's relative performance vs Millington figures to be front and center, and provide yet more bona fide evidence...

I attended the Woodale/Gtwn game-- The long and short of it is that Woodale and Gtwn were clearly 2 equally-matched teams.... In dramatic and impressive fashion, Gtwn won it on a 5+ yard TD pass, with zero seconds left on the clock (extra point good)!!!. It capped off a frantic 80+ yard Gtwn "2-minute" drive that started with only about 1 1/2 minutes left in the game, featuring a suddenly-effective (short) passing game-- which had been woefully impotent all night long, and some big/untimely Woodale penalties.

This exciting game basically came down to discipline and execution. Germantown proved to be much superior in those critical areas, as Woodale racked up enormous penalty yards and repeatedly self-destructed. Gtwn took full advantage. Then, to add insult to injury, Woodale's abrupt switch to a (ill-advised) "prevent" defense -- during Gtwn's game-winning drive, did absolutely nothing but "PREVENT" Woodale from winning the game! Gtwn took full advantage, as Woodale suddenly began leaving Gtwn's receivers absolutely wide-open in the flat. Gtwn methodically nickled-and-dimed their way down the field, taking complete advantage of the soft defense, readily accesible sidelines and a full compliment of times-outs.

Kudos to Gtwn on a gritty, never-say-die victory! Woodale played a very tough game but, thanks to poor discipline and sloppy execution (and playing "not to lose..."), let a near-certain victory slip away at the very last second.

Craigmont at Arlington was a very exciting game to say the least. Hats off to the Chiefs whose defense was as good as advertised. I think the Tigers caught them off guard in the 1st Q, really moving the ball at will through the air. Only good defensive stands by Craigmont to give up only 1 TD and 2 FG kept it from being 21-0. After the first quarter, Craigmont really frustrated the Tiger offense. They played man-free coverage, locked up the receivers and got good pressure forcing Poole to throw on the run a lot. The Tiger defense was also very solid. Credit to both teams as they kept doing each what they do best (Craigmont - tough man defense and Arlington passing attack). When it mattered, Jordan Leakes beat his man down the left sideline and Poole hit him in stride for a huge 70+ yard gain. Only the sloppy field, which caused Leakes to fall at the Chief 10, kept him from scoring. Two plays later, Poole connects with Jake Boring on a 5 yd TD pass with under 2 minutes to go for the win after the Tiger defense forced a Chief fumble on the ensuing drive.

In summary, these are both two very good teams. Craigmont does not have a great passing game, but it is adequate as long as they do not get behind and have to throw. They have a great running game and really at times dominated the line of scrimmage ripping off 6 and 7 yard gains on 1st down. The Tiger defense who gave up nothing in the 1st Q, made key stops when it mattered. Craigmont had a good plan on defense, they shut down the Tiger run game and for the 2nd and 3rd Q, kept the Tiger offense in check.

This Tiger team continues to amaze me. For the past 3 weeks, they have played very important region games, in less than ideal conditions, against teams who would like nothing better than to beat Arlington and say the Tigers are not for real, and all the Tigers have done is go out and win. The Tigers are becoming a complete team on both sides of the ball and the special teams have been huge contributors to the streak. In two of the last three weeks, Arlington has trailed late in the 3rd or 4th quarter, but yet this little team that was 1-9 last year, refuses to blink and succumb to the pressure.

Open date comes at a great time. We have remained healthy for the most part this year and will need the extra time to prepare for Millington. As I have said earlier, Millington is the big dog on the block until someone knocks them off. This will be a huge game in 2 weeks. I am interested to see how Craigmont and Millington turn out. Should be a tough game between 2 good teams.

Congrats Tigers! Huge win against a good team and you did it in 4th quarter 2 minute highlight reel fashion! By the way, will this win help our strength of schedule? (wink, wink)

SpartansFan,

That was an outstanding summation and profoundly accurate post !!!!!!!!!

You definitely get the "KEEPIN' IT REAL" award-of-the-year!

SpartansFan, please consider starting a NEW TOPIC (of some title)-- relating to the contents of your comments! Then, for starters, re-post your comments to that new thread......I just think that this issue really DESERVES to be out in the "open," and not remain "hidden" within this soon-to-be deserted thread! :roflol:

-----------------------------------

Here is just one related issue that I'm eager to see discussed, on your (hopefully) new thread/topic:

There's one additional thing that I think will also help our area teams eventually get over the "Middle/East Tennessee playoff hump" -- a "feeder" program!

Each High School and their respective "feeder" Middle School....these football coaches should sit down TOGETHER (leave the king-sized egos at the door) and PLEDGE to install and implement the exact SAME system (offensive/defensive/special teams, etc)! They should work "together" PERMANENTLY!! This way...by the time the middle school kids (players) "feed" into the high school, they will already be familiar and have extensive experience with the system that's being run @ the HS!

The benefits of such a "feeder" program are enormous and well documented. For the life of me, I really don't understand why this approach is not standard operating procedure for ALL our area schools!!!

Thanks for the "award"! :roflol:

Anyone who's interested....I started another topic..."West Tn vs Central and East Tn in playoffs" for those who'd like to comment.

Good game Whitehaven 24-21, your QB is awesome. Both teams played hard. I wish we would have stayed in 3A.

Galilee:

I didn't get back into town until late. I heard the score on the coach's show on 56 WHBQ. You guys would have been placed in 4A to fight it out with Fairley and Sheffield in District 16. I agree however with your assesment. I think it would have been better for Mitchell to stay in the classification that they had been assigned. They could still schedule games against the Whitehavens and Melroses of the world in their non district games to make money and play stiffer competition. Oh well ... it's done now.

CAn anyone tell me the status of Whitehaven's RB injury. Is it serious and what did he hurt? Also I was not able to attend the game, but it looks like the offensive playcalling was one dimentional once again (only 38 yards passing?!!!--Are you Serious!). WHitehaven fans or Mitchell fans, give me a synopsis of the game.