District 11AA

oakwood

Waverly Central beat Cheatham County tonight 75-69 in a game that featured a lot of fireworks for sure. The Tigers were led by Justin Vogel's 27 points. Matt Brasfield added 18 points and Tyler Smith chipped in with 10 for the district's #2 seed. The upset minded Cubs were led by Drew Smart who scored a game high 30 points. Reece Hunter had his best game of the year scoring a season high 21 points. Waverly Central advances to Friday's semifinal to play Montgomery Central. The season comes to an end for the Cheatham County Cubs but I must say that this was a team that did improve by leaps and bounds down the stretch this year and Waverly Central definitely knows that they were in a war tonight for sure. Drew Smart is the lone senior on the Cubs team as he closed out a fantastic playing career tonight. Next year I look for Cheatham County to be a force to deal with in the district on the hardwood. Reece Hunter, Chase Hughes, Dominic DeWalt, Devin Conner, Mitchell Potts, & Thatcher Binkley are all guys that have now played a lot of varsity high school basketball and all of them will only get better and better heading into the 2010-2011 season.

Agree, howdoitknow, I had church last night and didn't get to broadcast. Heard I missed a good game. Talked to Drew's dad after the broadcast last Saturday and seemed like a great family. He said Drew wasn't getting any looks from college. I am going to do my best to put his name in the hands of a couple of people who have connections to colleges because this kid would be a great addition to any team. I knew it would be tough for Waverly to beat the Cubs for the third time. It is always tough to beat a team three times in same year. Good luck to all the teams in the tourney.

• Replies 361
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Semifinals are TONIGHT at Cheatham County Central High School in Ashland City :popcorneater:

5:30: Montgomery Central vs Waverly Central

8:30: Harpeth vs Creek Wood

Montgomery Central vs Waverly Central

This is a series that was split this season as Waverly Central rallied from an 18-POINT deficit in the 2nd half to win the first contest 71-69. The Tigers were paced in that contest by Justin Vogel's 33 points. In the second meeting Montgomery Central again jumped out to a lead and they didn't look back at all as they defeated the Tigers 53-40.

I think that Montgomery Central has a favorable advantage of size and overall athleticism against Waverly Central. It will take another great effort from Vogel for the Tigers to be able to pull out a win in this one. I would go with a 59-51 prediction in favor of Montgomery Central in this one.

Harpeth vs Creek Wood

This is a series that was swept by Creek Wood this season and neither contest was really close at all. In the first meeting in Charlotte the Red Hawks won 61-31 and in all honesty they could have won by much more at the time as Harpeth was still trying to find themselves as a basketball team against a Top 10 caliber team in the state. In the second contest on "Senior Night" in Kingston Springs the Red Hawks were again the better team in a 58-41 contest.

I think that Harpeth spent so much energy in that 11 point fourth quarter comeback the other night against Camden Central that they could be a very tired basketball team against the fresh legged district champs. This one will be won by Creek Wood and I'll go with a 65-45 prediction.

Harpeth may not have the legs Creek Wood does since they didn't play, but high school kids recover pretty fast. They play 3 games a week most of the time anyway. My biggest pet peeve is how long the post season is extended this time of year. Kid's aren't typically tired 2 days after a game.

Harpeth could just be 'happy to be here' after winning the play in game. That happens sometimes, but Harpeth bounced Sycamore last year in the tournament after they won the regular season for the first time in a while and I guarantee you that Sycamore would have traded the other 2 wins for the one they didn't get when it mattered the most.

Montgomery Central is just a bad matchup for Waverly Central. The player of the game in this one was definitely a split between Gabriel Sanchez & Ravon Hardy. Sanchez held Justin Vogel to just 12 points in the contest. Hardy's athleticism made life tough for the Tigers to get any "easy" baskets in the lane. Trevor Moore is a very gritty player at point guard and his ability to handle ball pressure definitely is the difference maker for the Indians against the Tigers. I believe I heard that Montgomery Central only hit 18/36 free throws in the contest. If they could make shots at the foul line then they would have salted the game away much earlier than in the final minute.

Harpeth played LIGHTS OUT for 3 quarters last night and it showed as they entered the final quarter tied 34-34 against Creek Wood. I thought that in the 4th quarter when Vincent Dotson was brought back in the game that he was the biggest difference maker on the floor. He had to have 7-8 blocks last night. Aaron Hyndman did not play particularly well last night I didn't think. He didn't attack the basket strong at all like he usually does. Woody Correll gave the Red Hawks some huge minutes in the win. For Harpeth despite the great effort I thought that Zack Crowe was a total non-factor in the game. He just seemed to disappear at the biggest times of the game. Dantario Dansby had a solid game, as did Travis Tice, but when he fouled out you just knew that the Indians were done.

Tuesday Night's Schedule

Waverly Central vs Harpeth (Consolation Game)

Creek Wood vs Montgomery Central (Championship Game)

Montgomery Central is just a bad matchup for Waverly Central. The player of the game in this one was definitely a split between Gabriel Sanchez & Ravon Hardy. Sanchez held Justin Vogel to just 12 points in the contest. Hardy's athleticism made life tough for the Tigers to get any "easy" baskets in the lane. Trevor Moore is a very gritty player at point guard and his ability to handle ball pressure definitely is the difference maker for the Indians against the Tigers. I believe I heard that Montgomery Central only hit 18/36 free throws in the contest. If they could make shots at the foul line then they would have salted the game away much earlier than in the final minute.

Harpeth played LIGHTS OUT for 3 quarters last night and it showed as they entered the final quarter tied 34-34 against Creek Wood. I thought that in the 4th quarter when Vincent Dotson was brought back in the game that he was the biggest difference maker on the floor. He had to have 7-8 blocks last night. Aaron Hyndman did not play particularly well last night I didn't think. He didn't attack the basket strong at all like he usually does. Woody Correll gave the Red Hawks some huge minutes in the win. For Harpeth despite the great effort I thought that Zack Crowe was a total non-factor in the game. He just seemed to disappear at the biggest times of the game. Dantario Dansby had a solid game, as did Travis Tice, but when he fouled out you just knew that the Indians were done.

Tuesday Night's Schedule

Waverly Central vs Harpeth (Consolation Game)

Creek Wood vs Montgomery Central (Championship Game)

I usually agree with your accessments but not on this one. While Sanchez did do a good job on Vogel last night, one could tell very early that Vogel wasn't shooting well at all. He's attracted the best defensive players from all schools and no one has been able to shut him down yet. Last night was no exception, he got some of the same looks but his shot just wasn't falling. And as far as Moore, quick player but not the best of shooters and for Coach Young to pull the ball out into four corners for a lot of the game was in my opinion not classic basketball. It's just keep away. I've seen it a lot of times in my life time and there's a reason a shot clock was put in in the college ranks too. It was to avoid things like last night. Let the kids play ball.

They did play. Mont. Central won. Good Luck to all teams Tues and next week in Region play. i thought it was one of Coach Taylor's best jobs ever as a coach at Creek Wood. Handling his bench and dividing minutes with the bigs in foul trouble and the change to the 1-3-1 extended taking away open 3 point looks and givin baseline drives to Dotson in 4th was quality call. Harpeth deserves large compliments for bringing it to the Wood. Coach Wilson had them boys playing HARD all night. I thought for awhile Hyndman and #12 were in Franklin at State wrestiling tourney for awhile. Soiid job by the Indians of Harpeth and MC. CW survived on a night where they were in position to be upset. Tournament basketball is Fun!!! :roflol::roflol:

It's okay to disagree with me papatiger. We'll just agree to disagree on that argument.

I like Sanchez as a defender. I saw him in a holiday tournament against DCA and he did a great job against their best scorer, #24 (sorry I forgot his name), throughout the game. In the games against Cheatham County he did a great job of defending Drew Smart. He held Drew to just 8 points in the first matchup. Vogel did get some clean looks but the majority of his looks were not clean and the good looks that he did have were probably not falling because he was exhausted from having to work just to get a clean look at the basket.

Waverly Central did punish Montgomery Central on the glass last night I thought. I don't know what the exact rebounding edge was but I do know that it was significantally in the Tigers favor. With that having been said however I also believe that Ravon Hardy's athleticism really bothered the Tigers when they did get scoring chances inside. Tyler Smith, Tyler Fuller, & Connor Walp all had several shot opportunities inside that completely missed, or barely grazed, the rim. That is because of Hardy's ability to alter shots (i.e. Vincent Dotson from Creek Wood).

And you are exactly correct coach in saying that last night was the chance to get Creek Wood. It was obvious that the Red Hawks believed the same thing that I had predicted just a few hours before the game. I thought Harpeth would be no match for the Wood after exerting so much energy in their win over Camden Central just 48 hours earlier. Creek Wood came out flat and at halftime I had the opportunity to walk through the hallway and listen to the Red Hawks players moods at halftime. Many would right away say "Taylor really got into them in the locker room". They would be dead wrong also. Coach Taylor knew exactly that his kids knew what they had done wrong for the 1st 16 minutes of the game. In the 4th quarter when the Red Hawks turned up the intensity a notch they showed just why they are a great basketball team.

For those interested about District 12-AA & how they will be seeded for the Regional Tourney next week :thumb:

Spring Hill beat Marshall County for the District Championship 51-48.

Page beat Giles County 51-47 in the Consolation Game.

Regional Tournament Seeds

1.) Spring Hill (21-7)

2.) Marshall County (22-5)

3.) Page (16-11)

4.) Giles County (14-15)

Congrats to Montgomery Central on there win over Waverly. Great game plan and execution. I thought Waverly made a good run and had a chance to get back in it. hale made some good plays toward the end. Every time Waverly loses papatiger has something bad to say about the other team and if it is Creek Wood he has something bad to say about them even when they win.Sometimes you just get beat. I realize not all Waverly fans are like Papatiger, But for someone who has seen as much ball as he says he has, he has not said anything that I have read that would lead me to believe that he knows anything about the game. Until there is a shot clock in high school a coach would be foolish not to play a game in the way that gives his team the best opportunity to win. The game was decided onthe court and Central won. Maybe if they do like the NBA and allow 6 fouls Vogel would not have fouled out. Maybe if everything was on T.V. you would not need radio announcers.