CBHS @ MUS

shelby63

The most anticipated game of the year in West Tennessee is Friday, October 23. The Brothers gave the Owls their toughest test in 2008 and the same is expected for the 2009 edition. If the CBHS defense can find a way to contain the high-powered MUS offense, this could be a close one? Kicking game will likely decide, with the edge going to D-I bound Acosta. Prediction: CBHS - 17 MUS - 14

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I recall, MUS won the 2008 contest 21-14? While the Brothers don't have the individual talent of last year, they are a stronger and more cohesive unit. Therefore, I expect the defense to contain Brunetti and hopefully limit the big plays. The Brothers should be able to move the ball and score some points on MUS, as the Owl defense was terribly exposed by the 35 points put on the board by White Station a few weeks ago. Hopefully the weather will cooperate?

hd castle has it about right MUS wins 35-14. MUS was ahead 21-0 at the half last year then disappeared in the 2nd half - arguably their worst 2nd half of the year. MUS played White Station without Brunetti after the first quarter and still won by 20. WS didn't score until Brunetti left the game. If Brunetti had played, WS would have had fewer possessions. The backup MUS QB had several 3 and outs. MUS scored a TD every time Brunetti led the offense and likely would never have had a 3 and out. WS came back due to 2 players - the QB and Burton - and passing. CBHS doesn't have 2 players of their caliber nor the passing game. If you want to base a prediction on the results of the 2 games played against WS, you will be sadly disappointed. In this rivalry game, you can throw that out. Frankly, my friends think I'm a little optimistic predicting a 21 point margin. Usually that does not happen in this game, whatever the differences in the teams. However, I have seen CBHS play twice (WS & ECS), and I am comfident this is NOT their year.

Throw the records out the window boys, this is one of the best rivilaries in the State of Tennessee:

Some facts about the MUS v CBHS football rivalry.

This Friday will be the 30th meeting in 41 years.

Record for the first 29 games (1969-2008) MUS 16 CBHS 13

Total score for first 29 MUS 482 CBHS 425

Average score MUS 16.6 CBHS 14.6

Post season Games in the series: 2

1981 Jaycee Bowl MUS 24 CBHS 0

2005 St. Championship MUS 31 CBHS 27

State Championships MUS 4 CBHS 1

Game is part of The Great American Rivalry Series presented by the US Air Force: www.greatamericanrivalry.com

Owlbooster: You talk a lot about Brunetti, who arguably is the most exciting player in TN. However, he only lines up on one side of the ball. Teams have proven this year you can move the ball against the Owls, and I would expect CBHS's 'efficient' offense to score 17-20 points on Friday night. Challenge will be to contain Barry and not let his feet run wild. Keep him in the pocket with constant pressure and CBHS has a chance to pull off the upset. That's why I think the margin of victory will be single digits, no matter who comes out on top.

Regarding your comment on the inferior CBHS athletes (compared to WSHS), I'll take Jonathon Brown any day of the week. Added bonus...he plays both offense and defense (unlike Mr. Brunetti).

Go Brothers!

shelby63 - DON"T TWIST MY WORDS, PLEASE! I didn't say CBHS had "inferior athletes." I said they didn't have TWO players the caliber of J Burton and the WS QB (Anthony Harris?). Brown IS comparable, but that's one player. My point about Brunetti is that when he plays, MUS controls the ball, puts up points, and doesn't give the opposition many possessions(unless they score too quickly). He helps keep the MUS defense off the field and well rested. That didn't happen in the 2nd half of the WS game. You act like having a player that goes both ways is to your advantage, a "bonus." You can argue that both ways. You have your best athletes on the field most of the game, but then they are more likely to get fatigued or injured. MUS platoons. Nobody plays both ways. That has obvious advantages and some disadvantages. It has served MUS well over the past 5 years. Three state championships and maybe a fourth this year.

You seem to think you contain Brunetti and you stop MUS. What about McBride and

Allmond? They both average 8 yds per carry! You think you can contain all three? NOT likely. Remember MUS put 38 points on WS with Brunetti on the sideline. McBride will bust at least one long TD run. The only thing that would give CBHS a chance to keep it close would be a big plus margin in the turnover department. MUS has THREE TOs this season - all fumbles. Not a single pass interception. How do you think you win the TO battle when MUS rarely turns it over? Of course, ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE, just not probable.

Just look at the last 3:50 of the game at Olive Branch. Or the first half of the ECS game last year.

Should be a good game but I have to go with the Owls. They are 4th in the league in total offense at 341 a game while the Brothers are next to last at 231. Both defenses are good with the Brothers 2nd in the league giving up 223 and the Owls 4th at 232. I think they have too many weapons for the Brothers.

Undefeated Owls, CBHS renew rivalry tonight

Wave coach Locastro: Pressure is on them

By Jason Smith

Friday, October 23, 2009

It is Memphis' oldest high-school football rivalry, dating to 1894.

"It's always a game that comes down to the wire," says Christian Brothers coach Kevin Locastro.

"One team gets to kind of brag for a year and the other team has to suck it up," says Memphis University School coach Bobby Alston.

MUS (8-0) owns a one-game lead over Christian Brothers (7-1) in the all-time series (23-22-3) going into tonight's 7 p.m. Division 2-AA West Region showdown at MUS' Stokes Stadium. Ranked No. 1 in The Commercial Appeal's Dandy Dozen, Alston's defending D2-AA state-champion Owls have won 21 straight games and outscored opponents, 328-100, this season.

"I've heard some people from their camp say that they think this may be the best football team they've ever had," Locastro said. "Twenty-one straight wins. Defending state champions. Undefeated this year.

"I would say, definitely, all the pressure is on them. I don't think anybody expects us to win but maybe our immediate Christian Brothers family and our football team. We expect to go out there and win."

Alston, for one, isn't buying Locastro's "coach-speak."

The Purple Wave have allowed a Division 2-AA-best 12.4 points per game this season, and last week got a 203-yard, three-touchdown rushing performance from senior fullback Jonathan Brown in a 38-28 victory over Briarcrest Christian.

"(Locastro's) got a guy who may be the best player in town," Alston said of Brown, who doubles as the team's top tackler (71) from his linebacker position.

"Anybody that can play defense the way he plays it, and last week they feed it to him 20-something times ... I don't see anybody else in town doing that."

MUS boasts its own star player in senior quarterback Barry Brunetti, a West Virginia commitment who's accounted for 1,598 total yards and 22 touchdowns.

"I think Barry is probably the best (quarterback) that's come out of this area since, I don't know, maybe (former Collierville High standout) Danny Sparkman, who played out at the University of Memphis (from 1983-85)," Locastro said.

"Since I've been coaching, though, I would definitely say that Barry's the best to come out (of the Memphis area), and it's because he's such a great dual threat. He can beat you with his feet and he can beat you with his arm."

Should be a good game but I have to go with the Owls. They are 4th in the league in total offense at 341 a game while the Brothers are next to last at 231. Both defenses are good with the Brothers 2nd in the league giving up 223 and the Owls 4th at 232. I think they have too many weapons for the Brothers.

Which is somewhat misleading considering they have played South Panola and Olive Branch, in addition to White Station who also played Olive Branch.