Prayers--Former White Co....

TheAnswer9

Please pray for the Floyd family. Former White County (1994-1997), Roane St (1997-1999), and Ala-Huntsville (1999-2001) standout guard Lindsay Floyd was killed in a car accident on Wednesday. I know she was a graduate assistant coach and was engaged to get married--how sad and devastating. My wife played ball with her at Roane State and I know a lot of the players from that time (at least 4--wife included--will be coming down with my wife) will be driving to Sparta to attend services. I know she played with some very talented, dedicated, and family orienated girls at Roane State. So...at this time I don't really know any details. I will post later when I find out!!

[Edited by TheAnswer9 on 9-19-02 7:15A]

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Words cannot convey the enormous loss this is. Our heartfelt sympathies go out to her family and all of her many friends. Lindsay was a tremendous young lady and a very hard worker. Her passing leaves a big hole in the Tennessee Stars family and the world is emptier today with this loss...But Heaven has a new and bright star. Our prayers and our love for you and your family, Lindsay!!

Coach Carson and the Tennessee Stars/Trojans family

I feel compelled to write something about Lindsay for those of you who did not know her. Lindsay played basketball at White Co.when there was an abundance of talent. She did not start even in her senior year. Yet she was a vital contributor to teams that went to the state in both her junior and senior years. She was a tenacious defender who had great anticipation on defense. I remember a region game against Lawrence Co.when it seemed as if she had at least a dozen steals. Even when she did not get to play as much as she thought she should she would be quietly disappointed. She would not make waves as she was a team person. Even though she was not a starter in high school she got the opportunity to go to Roane State where she played two years before going on to Ala.-Huntsville where she played two years. I believe she was her team's captain her senior year. After graduation she stayed as a grad. asst. and she was named asst. girls coach this year. Not too bad for a girl who did not start for her high school team. Lindsay had a quiet determination to succeed even though she was not the most athletic player. Not to suggest that she was not athletic but I simply mean she got the most out of her athletic ability as anybody I can remember. I watched Lindsay grow up as I have a daughter the same age. She brought much joy to her family. She will be sadly missed by her many friends and family.

Gary Dodson

[Edited by greyman on 9-20-02 7:56A]

[Edited by greyman on 9-21-02 10:35P]

[Edited by greyman on 9-23-02 7:26P]

I am deeply saddened by this loss. I can't put it any better than greyman and parrothead already have, but Lindsey Floyd was a real joy to coach. She may not have always been a starter on her teams (both high school and AAU), but she was always a positive example for her team members. She will be deeply missed. Her family will remain in our prayers.

Coach Burkey

I too am deeply saddened by the passing of Lindsey Floyd. She was a very special person to me. I feel privileged to have had the opportunity to coach Lindsey during two AAU national championship tournaments. She may not have been a starter at White County, but she was good enough to be a starter on our Elite Eight team in the nationals in 1993. She was not only a starter, but she was my defensive stopper. In Cocoa Beach when we were faced with the challenge of trying to slow down Ace Clement, who else would step up but Lindsey Floyd. She did a great job of guarding Ace as I knew she would. She will always be a special player in my heart. I always looked forward to visiting with Lindsey when she was playing at Roane State. She was always such an inspiration to talk to. She set a great example for young girls to pattern after. Lindsey Floyd was a very special person and special player. My prayers to the Floyd family.

Coach Parker

For anyone who is interested, there is a memorial scholarhip fund set-up in Lindsay's name:

Memorial donations my be made to the Lindsay E. Floyd Scholarship Fund, c/o Hunter Funeral Home, PO Box 90, Sparta, Tennessee 38583

Lindsay E. Floyd Scholarship Fund

C/O Hunter Funeral Home

P.O. Box 90

Sparta, Tennessee 38583

[Edited by TheAnswer9 on 9-22-02 10:11A]

Please continue to pray for her family not only in Sparta but also the team in Huntsville. I spoke with one of the girls the other day from UAH and they are all still in shock. She was loved by many and will be sadly missed. I knew Lindsey some through my sister who was one of those girls who played two years with her at Roane St where she was a fierce competitor and a fighter. They were a great team who shared incredible bonds on and off the floor. We'll never forget...