6A Memphis area playoffs as of week 9

MarkH

Mark,

I was told it would go strictly by geography, if that is the case, Arlington would end up going, but with a 9-1 or 10-0 record they would probably get to host at least a first round game

Why Arlington? Why not Millington or Brighton? Arlington is closer to the rest of the teams than those two.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mark,

I was told it would go strictly by geography, if that is the case, Arlington would end up going, but with a 9-1 or 10-0 record they would probably get to host at least a first round game

It raises another question. If Arlington is shipped out and for conversation purposes, let's assume Whitehaven beats Melrose and ends up 9-1, yet the No. 2 selection from District 16. Wouldn't they get the 4th overall seed slot over the remaning teams in Quad 4?

If they are going to go by geography, then somebody in this area is going to get screwed. If they are going to penalize anyone (and I don't have anything against Cordova), then it needs to be a wild card.

Kwc, I have been under the assumption that they would see the overall district winners first then the other automatic qualifiers and then any wild cards. Let's just say regardless of what Arlington does, they ship them out and your scenario unfolds like you think it might. White Station, Germantown and Brighton would be the first 3 seeds and then the other automatic qualifiers would be seeded according to the tiebreaking procedure set forth by the TSSAA. You still have to factor in matchups because then you would have 1 team from D-13, 2 teams from D-14, 3 teams from D-15 and 2 from D-16 and teams from the same district can't play each other in the first round. I would guess that the draw would be something like this

1) Germantown (district winner)

2) White Station (district winner)

3) Brighton (district winner)

4) Whitehaven (automatic qualifier)

5) Wooddale (automatic qualifier)

6) Millington (automatic qualifier)

7) Kirby (automatic qualifier)

8) Cordova (wild card)

(1) Germantown vs (8) Cordova

(4) Whitehaven vs (5) Wooddale

(2) White Station vs (7) Kirby

(3) Brighton vs (6) Millington

That's my educated guess. If Millington beat Arlington, they would be the district winner and it might go like this.

(4) Millington vs (5) Whitehaven

(3) Brighton vs (6) Wooddale

OK-2 more questions since playing "what if" is so much fun & so time consuming:

1) IF Brighton loses to Dyer Co this Friday, does that jeopardize them being auto qualifier? Assume then Hardin Co/JNS winner would be champs; would Brighton qualify as #2 in district (looks like 3 way tie b/t Hardin/JNS loser, Brighton & Dyer Co-not sure of tie breakers anymore). If Brighton is not in top 2 they would likely have to try to qualify as wild card which would not give them a 1st round host. Who takes there host spot (probably Whitehaven or Wooddale). Now what happens to brackets???

2) Why in scenarios previously mentioned would Germantown not be #1 seed in quad IF Arlington loses to Millington (in power standings for wild card G'town is highest of District 13-16 folks behind Arlington)?

If they are going to go by geography, then somebody in this area is going to get screwed. If they are going to penalize anyone (and I don't have anything against Cordova), then it needs to be a wild card.

Kwc, I have been under the assumption that they would see the overall district winners first then the other automatic qualifiers and then any wild cards. Let's just say regardless of what Arlington does, they ship them out and your scenario unfolds like you think it might. White Station, Germantown and Brighton would be the first 3 seeds and then the other automatic qualifiers would be seeded according to the tiebreaking procedure set forth by the TSSAA. You still have to factor in matchups because then you would have 1 team from D-13, 2 teams from D-14, 3 teams from D-15 and 2 from D-16 and teams from the same district can't play each other in the first round. I would guess that the draw would be something like this

4) Whitehaven (automatic qualifier)

5) Wooddale (automatic qualifier)

6) Millington (automatic qualifier)

7) Kirby (automatic qualifier)

8) Cordova (wild card)

(4) Whitehaven vs (5) Wooddale

(3) Brighton vs (6) Millington

That's my educated guess. If Millington beat Arlington, they would be the district winner and it might go like this.

(4) Millington vs (5) Whitehaven

(3) Brighton vs (6) Wooddale

And if WH loses and Arlington wins ... then they are seeded as follows:

4) Wooddale (automatic qualifier)

5) Millington (automatic qualifier)

6) Kirby (automatic qualifier)

7) Cordova (wild card)

8) Whitehaven (wild card) (They can't be @ 7 because they can't face WSHS in the 1st round)

(1) Germantown vs (8) Whitehaven

(4) Wooddale vs (5) Millington

(2) White Station vs (7) Cordova

(3) Brighton vs (6) Kirby

If Millington beats Arlington and WH loses, Millington would be the district winner and it might go like this.

(1) Germantown vs (8) Whitehaven

(4) Millington vs (5) Wooddale

(2) White Station vs (7) Cordova

(3) Brighton vs (6) Kirby

Brighton's only loss in district was to Munford. They hold all tiebreakers with Hardin Co. and Jackson Northside. So the worst they finish is 2nd and that would be as an automatic qualifier.

As far as why Germantown wouldn't be number 1 overall if Arlington loses is this. Going on the assumption that Cordova doesn't get in, you have your eight teams. You can't play any team from your district in the first round and Kirby is the lowest team listed in all of the tiebreakers. Since Kirby would be #8, Germantown couldn't play them in the first round and therefore the Red Devils are #2.

Arlington wins, Brighton doesn't

(1) Arlington vs (8) Kirby

(4) Whitehaven vs (5) Brighton

(2) Germantown vs (7) Millington

(3) White Station vs (6) Wooddale

Millington wins, Brighton doesn't

(1) White Station vs (8) Kirby

(4) Whitehaven vs (5) Arlington

(2) Germantown vs (7) Brighton

(3) Millington vs (6) Wooddale

Brighton would have been 6 but since Germantown and Wooddale can't meet in the first round, they are switched.