Soddy Daisy wins in 2 OT

bbb

Soddy Daisy Stops Cleveland, 1-0 in 2 OT

Region 3 Champs

With high drama and quality of play usually reserved for a state title match, host Soddy Daisy defeated Cleveland, 1-0 in 2 OT for the Region 3 girls' soccer championship Thursday night.

The Trojans winning goal came on an own goal off a corner kick by Hannah Jenkins with a little more than a minute remaining in stoppage time in the second overtime. Jenkins' curling shot slipped out the of the hands of Cleveland goalkeeper Alison Simpson and inside the far post for the goal.

Cleveland (13-7-2) had a opportunity to tie the match in the waning seconds as Hannah Jenkins of the Blue Raiders headed a corner kick from Emily Jones off the cross bar in the final shot of the match.

In Saturday's sectional matches, Soddy Daisy (15-3-2) hosts Riverdale (10-9-1), while Cleveland travels to Region 4 winner and defending state champ Siegel (11-2-5). Siegel defeated Riverdale, 4-0.

“This was a great soccer match tonight and we were able to draw on our mental toughness down the stretch for the win,'' said Soddy Daisy coach Moises Drumond who is 71-22-8 in five seasons.

“Cleveland is an excellent team and we were fortunate to contain a very talented and skilled player in Emily Jones,'' he said with a smile while holding the teams third region plaque in the past four years. “It's real tough to beat a quality team three times in one season and I am real tired of playing the role of Emily Jones against my defense in practice.''

Cleveland used a strong defense to keep the Trojans out of the net earlier in overtime.

With four minutes remaining in the second overtime, Simpson blocked a Hannah Wyatt shot from 20 yards in front which went off the cross bar and cleared by Blue Raider defender Jenna Stewart.

Two minutes later the Trojans were back knocking on the door as freshman Summer Lanter had a one-on-one with Simpson from 10 yards on the right side. Stewart slid in front of Lanter to clear the shot.

Stewart also saved a potential goal in the 47th minute as she kicked away a Lanter shot with Simpson out of goal.

“Jenna played a great match as she was definitely the defensive star out there tonight,'' said Cleveland coach Andy Byrd.

The Trojan defense was able to contain District 3 offensive player of the year Jones with double teams throughout the match using Katie Hillis, Desirae Smith, Brooke Hensley and Jenkins.

“I played a much better match tonight than in last week's win (5-3 against Cleveland in the District 3 final),'' said Hensley. “Our double teaming of Emily kept me fresh throughout the match.''

Yet Jones, who had only five shots tonight as compared to 14 last week, still made her presence known as her shot from 20 yards out barely cleared the cross bar in stoppage time at the end of regulation.

Soddy Daisy sophomore goalkeeper Haley Myers made a leaping catch of a Jones shot with six minutes remaining in the second overtime and also corralled two Jones corner kicks.

“We did all we could tonight and left it all on the field,'' said Byrd in a post-match team meeting.

“We are one of 16 teams still in the tournament and we have nothing to hang our heads about after tonight's play.''

A Fourth Meeting: Cleveland and Soddy Daisy could meet once more this season if both teams reach the state final.

Busy Day: Soddy Daisy's Hannah Jenkins ran in the district cross country meet this afternoon, before being a major player in the soccer win.

“I was a little leg weary during the overtime, but I thought I played well.'' said Jenkins, who also sang the national anthem before the match.

60 Wins: The seven Soddy Daisy seniors have posted a 60-16-7 overall record the past four years … 34-6-3 at home … won three District (07-08-09) and Region (06-08-09) titles and one Sectional (07) crown … 28 shutouts at home.

Soddy Daisy vs. Cleveland: The Trojans have won nine of the past 10 meetings, but six of those wins have come by a one goal difference … Cleveland's win came in a 2-1 overtime loss in the 2007 region final.

Overtime: The Trojans are 3-1 vs. Cleveland in overtime matches the past four years … 2006 Region Semis: SD, 2-0 … 2007 Region Final: Cleve, 2-1 … 2008 Region final: SD, 4-2 … 2009 Region final: SD, 1-0 2 OT

Effective Corner Kicks: Soddy Daisy has scored off corner kicks in three of the past four matches … Hannah Jenkins received at assist on tonight's own goal … Jenkins scored in last week's match with Cleveland, while Katie Hillis twisted one past the goalkeeper in the 4-0 District semis triumph against Ooltewah.

Magic Number is Now Four: For the 16 teams still alive out of eight regions, the magic number to win the state is four … every match is a sudden death situation.

Soddy Daisy 1, Cleveland 0 2 OT

Cleveland 0 – 0 – 0 – 0 = 0

Soddy Daisy 0 – 0 – 0 – 1 = 1

Records: No. 8 Soddy Daisy (15-3-2), Cleveland (13-7-2)

Goals:

SD – own goal off SD corner kick (assist, Hannah Jenkins of Soddy Daisy, 99th minute, 1-0

Shots: Cleve, 16-12

Saves: Cleve, 8-6

Corner Kicks: Cleve, 16-5

Throw-Ins: Cleve, 63-53

Fouls: Cleve, 11-4

Free Kicks: SD, 11-6

Goal Kicks: Cleve, 16-5

Hand Balls: SD, 3-1

Offsides: SD, 1-0

Drop Ball: One

Yellow Cards: None

Red Cards: None

Goalkeepers:

SD – Haley Myers, 6 saves

Cleve – Alison Simpson, 8 saves

National Anthem Sung By: SD senior Hannah Jenkins

Contact B.B. Branton at william.branton@comcast.net

also posted on chattanoogan.com under sports

--------------------------

In a great high school match, Soddy Daisy defeated Cleveland, 1-0, in 2 OT on an own goal off a corner kick by the Trojans' Hannah Jenkins in the final minute of the second overtime.

Cleveland had a chance to tie it in the final 15 seconds as a head by Blue Raiders' Hannah Jenkins off a cross from Emily Jones hit the cross bar and rolled over.

Both teams had good chances to score in regulation and the goalkeepers - Haley Myers of SD and Alison Simpson of Cleveland - played well in the net and made key saves.

Soddy Daisy (15-3-2) host Riverdale (10-9-1) Saturday night at 7 p.m. in the sectionals, while Cleveland (13-7-2) travels to Siegel (11-2-5).

Siegel def. Riverdale, 4-0, tonight.

In the past four years, Soddy Daisy (with seven seniors) is 60-16-7 overall and 34-6-3 at home.

Winner advance to the state quarters.

Soddy Daisy beat Riverdale earlier in the season, but lost to them in the 2008 sectionals, also at Soddy Daisy. Siegel beat Cleveland earlier this season and also in the 2008 sectionals, 1-0, on the way to the state title.

Siegel is 67-18-8 in the past four years with a state title and two other state semi appearances.

full story with stats, etc., later.

b.b. branton

Another Tidbit about SD vs. Riverdale

Over the last 3+ years:

Riverdale is 3-0 at Soddy (2 Sectional Wins and 1 Regular Season Game)

Soddy is 2-0 at Riverdale (1 Sectional Wins and 1 Regular Season Game)

Soddy is actually 2-1 at Riverdale in the last 3 years having lost to the Lady Warriors at Riverdale in the regular season the year they beat them at Riverdale in the Sectional to go to State.

Another Tidbit about SD vs. Riverdale

Over the last 3+ years:

Riverdale is 3-0 at Soddy (2 Sectional Wins and 1 Regular Season Game)

Soddy is 2-0 at Riverdale (1 Sectional Wins and 1 Regular Season Game)

Soddy is actually 2-1 at Riverdale in the last 3 years having lost to the Lady Warriors at Riverdale in the regular season the year they beat them at Riverdale in the Sectional to go to State.

You are correct. Memory is coming back to me. (all good games)