13 of 32 5-A Qualifiers .500 or Below

ChaunceyGardiner

This year may be an anomaly in 5-A, but nearly 50% of the playoff qualifiers finished 5-5 or worse. In fact, 7 of the qualifiers have losing records. I haven't spent any time analyzing the districts where 5-A teams were placed. It's possible that the majority of 5A teams are in districts with a large number of 6-A teams.

The bottom line may be that eight classifications (6 public and 2 private) are just too many in a state the size of Tennessee to produce quality state championsip competition. Thus, championships have been devalued.

This year may be an anomaly in 5-A, but nearly 50% of the playoff qualifiers finished 5-5 or worse. In fact, 7 of the qualifiers have losing records. I haven't spent any time analyzing the districts where 5-A teams were placed. It's possible that the majority of 5A teams are in districts with a large number of 6-A teams.

The bottom line may be that eight classifications (6 public and 2 private) are just too many in a state the size of Tennessee to produce quality state championsip competition. Thus, championships have been devalued.

Simple math

1A and 2A -24 of 41 make it - 59%

3A and 4A - 32 of 53 make it - 60%

5A - 32 of 59 make it - 54%

6A - 32 of 55 make it - 58%

when more than half make it, some losing records and .500 records have to make it.

5A is a joke! And the joke is because there are too many classes for our state! What the " :flower: " was Ronnie Carter thinking of besides money!!!!

There are 5 teams with .500 or less in the 6A playoffs. The 5A playoffs are full of teams that would normally get beat by these other teams. (I haven't looked at it, but I bet 3A and 1A are the same way. I only responded to 5A because that was what this thread was about.) Maryville is now 6A so these other teams can fight for a DEVALUED state championship! The Z plan is for the birds and the pockets of the T$$AA.

I know that there are a few teams in 5A that could beat anyone of the 6A on a given night but fact is those teams could not do it for 5 straight weeks.

What we all should do is boycott the games so the T$$AA would not make any money, but that wouldn't be right to our sport or the players.

I agree. The best way, in my opinion, to eliminate this problem is to go back to the 3 classification system that was used prior to 1993. The competition definitely was not watered down in that system, and a playoff appearance was a much loftier achievement. The bottom line, however, is that system does not create the same revenue as the current one does. And as a society, we have gotten way too concerned about making everyone feel like a winner... so hey, why don't we just give everyone rings and go out for ice cream afterwards?

Without losers there can be no winners. :thumb: