BIG 8

wkktnvolsfan

I was impressed by both actually. I have to say though, I think the Hill will still be the team to beat come playoff time. You are correct, we are blessed with a great group of Sr.'s. I've never minced my words on our basketball program though. It'll be a shame if this group doesn't win the conference.

Just as predicted. 4th in the Big 8?? C'mon man!!

You are correct Volman. This team had a lot of talent compared to what we usually load up with at South. To begin the year with an upset of the Hill on the road and then limp home in the conference race is very disappointing. I know Bailee's injury set them back, but the injury to starting pg is a situation that Coach Pendleton has seen before. It is such a critical position you need to have that sub pg ready to go to stabilize things. I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to perform at that position wearing a facemask as Bailee has attempted to do, but it has to hinder visibility ,so critical to that position. Still other players should have been able to step it up and close ranks. 2-4 against the Big 3 and a sweep of Boone would be pretty good most years, but the losses at Central and Volunteer were killers. Lose at Gate City and against Boone in the 1st round and they will not even achieve a winning season. It is hard to explain without sounding like a complainer, but our program does not seem to improve as the season unfolds, instead we play out the games each season without much fight, resolved to get it over with. Looking forward, the roster looks thin. I would think 4th place next year or even a winning record would be reason to proclaim a stellar coaching job.

The number 1, 4 and 5 positions should be strong. The number 2 and 3 are unknowns and will depend on whether some football and baseball players decide to focus more (even play) basketball. The guard positions are up for grabs. With all the seniors this year, not much playing time off the bench. That will show---especially at the guard positions where the Varsity level is much faster than what they've seen in JV. I'd say that next year will be a challenge. The head coach needs to show more emotion, as that bunch will play with alot of emotion. I'd like to see him bring the same emotion to that team. I think his asst's have it---it could certainly work to his advantage with this upcoming group.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading your posts about South. As an avid fan, I've watched many south games and still find myself asking the questions you mention. Why weren't they more prepared when Bailee went out? Where's the energy and emotion from Coach P? Doesn't the future look slim?

My thoughts are these: I do think the coaching staff could be more emotional, motivating the kids a little more. I think South programs give too much credence to grade level. I understand this year's team is senior laden, but that experience doesn't always translate. I think, generally speaking, that it has. However, while these young men are playing solid basketball, I think several had limited upside potential to begin with. That should be when you start priming your younger talent. You will probably have to deal with rookie mistakes, particularly early, but the upside potential would be well worth it come tournament time. As for the future, I think next year could be tough because this year's juniors are limited. I expect most of the starters to be the upcoming Jrs and possibly a upcoming soph or two. This years freshmen team is pretty talented and deep. Whoever said 4-5th next year as a success could be right. I think the following year will be better though.

Good luck in the tourney Rebels!

I hate to say it, but it's not going to get better.................

Point well taken Volman....but it really is relative if you are a Rebel basketball fan . 2Rebels didn't say "much better" or even contend for a championship. To me success at South in basketball is a winning record overall and also in conference, and 1 regular season win over the Big 3 out of 6 chances. Throw in a 1st round district win and that is about as good as it's going to get. Anything else is over the top.

Now that I've spelled it out ,maybe that is part of our problem. The administratiion, coaches and fans have lowered expectations from years of mediocrity or worse. Maybe that carries over to the kids. I don't pretend to know much about basketball ,but I believe a disciplined team can still win with tough defense, taking care of the ball,good shot selection,etc., even if you have average athletes. Being careless with the ball and lazy defense are the biggest reasons for non-competitive games.

"I hate to say it, but it's not going to get better................."

Dang Volman, why so harsh? The JV won the bigger percentage of their games and so did the Freshmen. Beating the big 3 will be tough though. SH is loaded going forward. DB will be just average for them athlete wise, but Morgan seems to keep them progressing throughout the year. THS looks decent, but not great. Boone looks good next year, but falls off after that. Crockett, Volunteer appear weak. Central seems decent.

Crawdad may be right though...finishing 4-5 might be all the lowered expectations can manage. I do see "potential" to finish higher in 2011/12.

Dang Volman, why so harsh? The JV won the bigger percentage of their games and so did the Freshmen. Beating the big 3 will be tough though. SH is loaded going forward. DB will be just average for them athlete wise, but Morgan seems to keep them progressing throughout the year. THS looks decent, but not great. Boone looks good next year, but falls off after that. Crockett, Volunteer appear weak. Central seems decent.

Crawdad may be right though...finishing 4-5 might be all the lowered expectations can manage. I do see "potential" to finish higher in 2011/12.

I know you are new to the boards 2Rebels and I hate to be down on anything associated with Sullivan South athletics, but I've been saying it for years. This years seniors won the conference as freshmen. They were predicted to win the conference this year. I knew from the beginning it wasn't going to happen. No way they should have finished worse than 2nd in the Big 8 this year even with BD's injury. This conference is as weak as I've seen it in many years. Our boys basketball program gets progressively worse after their freshmen year. They are always successful during their middle school years and usually very competitive their freshman season. Then, that's it. No more improvement. I don't see this changing any time soon with the current staff.

I hate to say it, but it's not going to get better.................

You may keep up with South Basketball, but this comment makes me think that you are not "inside" South JV/Freshman basketball. I disagree with your assessment (with due respect to you). Next year will be a challenge; the followin year will be better--------3rd or 4th in the conference. 2012 will not be competing for the Conf.Championship, probably, but will be better than 2011.

I know you are new to the boards 2Rebels and I hate to be down on anything associated with Sullivan South athletics, but I've been saying it for years. This years seniors won the conference as freshmen. They were predicted to win the conference this year. I knew from the beginning it wasn't going to happen. No way they should have finished worse than 2nd in the Big 8 this year even with BD's injury. This conference is as weak as I've seen it in many years. Our boys basketball program gets progressively worse after their freshmen year. They are always successful during their middle school years and usually very competitive their freshman season. Then, that's it. No more improvement. I don't see this changing any time soon with the current staff.

Well, I do agree with you on most of this, except the JV does now have a good program and Coach in Hutson. I know who you are, and I respect your ball knowledge, so I'm not trying to be offensive. Your point (toward the Varsity) is well taken. Coach P is a fine man. You might question his game plan but you can't question his integrity as a man. I'm not sure it's in him (coaching style) to get emotional and get "pumped up" for a game, but young men enjoy the emotional highs and want that kind of coaching. It just makes it more fun and I believe it speeds the bonding process between players and coaches. I'm not an insider at South who has any say so in who coaches what, but it sure would be alot of fun to see our coaches and players jumping up and down and acting like they are having fun. We are not just talking about the boys program either. Mr.Harvey (principle) has been quoted as saying, "this is an academic school" (when asked about coaching---as a reason for not making some coaching changes). My question is -------what's wrong with having a good basketball team and academics. Why do we have to draw a line between those?? Hey, have a good day!!!!

Hey volman, I can respect that assessment of the program. I thought this year could be different as well, especially since you had several "just basketball" kids, limiting the hangover affect from football. I'm specifically looking at talent though when looking forward. Whether or not the coaches can get it out of them or help them cultivate it is another question...let alone the game plan. I still believe this team can make a run. We must have consistent effort from each player to win though. One big problem...we haven't figured out how to beat a zone defense.

You know before we beat South basketball up in the midst of a "good" year, we should remember we barely got classified (with Central) in 3A this year . Most years we can compete with Tn. High but Science Hill and Dobyns-Bennett have twice the athletes to choose from. Sure give me a good 10 players and I've got a good squad for basketball unlike football where you need 40-50...but still let me pick from twice as many. East had roughly 80 students fewer than South and went 24-4 this year in what is being called the best in school history. They beat us in overtime and decisively by 10-12? points last week at East so they are better ,but not that much better to be the best in East history. My point being...where would South's basketball program be if we didn't have to play the Big 3 and were instead in 2A? How would our program look then?....just sayin

Well, I do agree with you on most of this, except the JV does now have a good program and Coach in Hutson. I know who you are, and I respect your ball knowledge, so I'm not trying to be offensive. Your point (toward the Varsity) is well taken. Coach P is a fine man. You might question his game plan but you can't question his integrity as a man. I'm not sure it's in him (coaching style) to get emotional and get "pumped up" for a game, but young men enjoy the emotional highs and want that kind of coaching. It just makes it more fun and I believe it speeds the bonding process between players and coaches. I'm not an insider at South who has any say so in who coaches what, but it sure would be alot of fun to see our coaches and players jumping up and down and acting like they are having fun. We are not just talking about the boys program either. Mr.Harvey (principle) has been quoted as saying, "this is an academic school" (when asked about coaching---as a reason for not making some coaching changes). My question is -------what's wrong with having a good basketball team and academics. Why do we have to draw a line between those?? Hey, have a good day!!!!

Agreed. Terry is the best coach on the staff. And Coach P is indeed a fine man.