CUMBERLAND RIVER BOWL-Jackson County (5-5) Vs. Dresden (6-4

jacksoncounty

Dresden (6-4) vs. Jackson County (5-5)

This bowl game will take place in Gainesboro, Tennessee on the banks of the Cumberland River on Saturday, November 7, with kickoff set for 2:00 p.m.

The game will feature the first two teams that did not make the playoffs in Class 2-A. Dresden (6-4) the only 6-win team in the state that is not in the playoffs will travel to Gainesboro for an exciting game. Dresden was #25 in the 24-team playoff field. Jackson County finished #26. Everyone is invited to attend the game, where a few surprises await including ribeye sandwiches from the Jackson County Cattlemen's Association available at the concession stand. A quality high school football game played in the afternoon offers Upper Cumberland football junkies a chance to attend one more game this weekend.

The initial weather forecast is for sunny skies and 65 degrees.

It is Jackson County's first bowl game since 1982 and the Blue Devils have only 2 playoff appearances in the ensuing 27 years. Dresden hasn't been to a post season game since the 2004 playoffs and are coming off a 0-10 season a year ago.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations to the Blue Devils on a great year. Just missed the play-offs but still good enough to play in a bowl game. Best team JC has had since the early 80's, you guys should be proud. The foundation is set in place and the area should see good things from the Blue Devils in the future !!!

Congrats to coach Loftis on a great year and the rest of the staff, hats off to you guys for all the hard work you put in continued success from a fan.

Great to see a bowl game. I haven't heard of many in the last several years, at least over in the West other than Middle School Bowls. Haven't seen Jackson County but Dresden is very capable of beating anyone. The Ribeyes are tempting by themselves but add a little High School Football and it should be a heck of a night. :thumb:

We are happy to play one more game. This should be exciting for this senior class to play their first post-regular season game in their high school careers. I believe it will be a good chance for both teams to get more film on their seniors and hopefully send a few off to college to continue. This is also a good chance for extra practice for the returning players who want to give hope to the fans for next year. I can't wait to see this game. Reminds me of playing football on Saturday afternoons in college, the long bus rides, and the chance to spend time with the guys you go to war with every friday. I hope the seniors realize how lucky they are to get the chance to play one more game. Go Lions. Lets open that can of whoop butt one more time to set the stage for our basketball team's run to a district title!

Oh hey .. those ribeye sandwiches are worth the cost of admission alone .. talk about tasty .. I look forward to seeing JC football improving with each season under the guidance of Coach Loftis and his staff.

Gotta luv the team in Blue and White!! :thumb:

Used to have some dynamite cheerleaders up there too !!!! :roflol:

I look forward to seeing our Lions play one more game this year. I am disappointed in we didn't make the playoffs but we have plenty of talent coming back next year so there is no reason why we can't make it next season. I appreciate our coach telling the boys during half time of the Parsons game that he won't be coming back next year. How do you expect the boys to be pumped up when the coach quits before the year is even over? Sometimes change is good. We need a change in our coaching staff. Why are baseball coaches on the football field? We need committed football coaches and NO POLITICS! Good luck on Saturday Lions! Your fans are behind you all the way!!

Congrats to Jackson Co. on a successful year. I really feel like Coach Loftis has the program going in the right direction. His influence has gotten some of the better athletes out of the halls and on the field. I talked to him the night we played Watertown, and he seemed very encouraged about the future. You guys are still a few years behind, as far as weightlifting, offseason conditioning, etc. But, I have no doubt, if given time, Coach Loftis can get the program to a respectable level. Just look what he's done in his first year, and I'm sure he's still learning on the job. Best of luck to him and the rest of Jackson Co. from your foes in Trousdale.

Saturday should be fun. Dresden is the favorite but Jackson County will be playing in a familiar setting while the Lions have to travel. Whatever the outcome both teams have made great strides this season. Dresden goes from 0-10 to 6-4 and fans are unhappy with the coach? That doesn't sound right.

The Blue Devils have played #1 Trousdale County, the defending state champs, and #3 Friendship Christian, both in 2-A and Gordonsville #10 in 1-A.

Dresden has played Class 2-A #4 McKenzie, and Class 1-A #6 Huntingdon.

Also I did some research and 25 teams in the TSSAA playoffs have a losing record, and a total of 52 have a 5-5 or worse record. 15 games have a combined win total of 10 or less and another 8 have a combined win total of 11. That's 23 playoff games with the same or less total wins as these two teams in the Cumberland River Bowl. I'm not saying that means either deserves to be in the playoffs, they both had their chances, but I'm just saying this could be a quality bowl matchup.

The playoff system is stupid. yes I said it. I don't think the TSSAA takes it a serious as the Seniors from each football team in the state does. when a team goes 6-4 and another team is 5-5 and the 6-4 team beats them in the regular season. Why can't that 5-5 team be replaced with the better team? that makes sense right? my EXAMPLE is Dresden 6-4. I want EVERYONE's comment on that bogus!