Richland Raiders

memyme

is there a shortlist, and if so - anyone know who's on it?

Haven't heard anything here but I hope they take their time and make a great hire. I also they figure out a way for the new HC to bring aboard a couple of HIS assistants. With out them he's doomed from the start. :)

Richland does not have a lot of teachers anyway so finding spots will be hard to do. It's not the SEC, its 1A football. Coach Hickman and Coach Rich are good coaches that were saddled with a very bad head coach. There is a reason Giles Co was happy to have Coach Hickman help out during the title run. Any new coach will have to make do with the assistants already there, and he is lucky to have two good ones waiting.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is there a shortlist, and if so - anyone know who's on it?

Haven't heard anything here but I hope they take their time and make a great hire. I also they figure out a way for the new HC to bring aboard a couple of HIS assistants. With out them he's doomed from the start. :roflol:

Richland does not have a lot of teachers anyway so finding spots will be hard to do. It's not the SEC, its 1A football. Coach Hickman and Coach Rich are good coaches that were saddled with a very bad head coach. There is a reason Giles Co was happy to have Coach Hickman help out during the title run. Any new coach will have to make do with the assistants already there, and he is lucky to have two good ones waiting.

Now, a little info for ya. Coach Hickman is a fine young man and truly a asset to Richland. However, coach Hickman was with the cats to enlighten him on coaching techniques. I'm pretty sure if you ask him he will tell ya that Giles terminology and planning is FAR more advanced than anything he has ever been exposed to. Hickman & Rich will be lots of help to a new HC but he cannot teach his assistants and players at the same time. One of the main factors in Giles success was the assistants that arrived when Smith was replaced already were familiar with modern day offenses & defenses. The current Richland staff would be way behind the eight ball. :thumb:

Now, a little info for ya. Coach Hickman is a fine young man and truly a asset to Richland. However, coach Hickman was with the cats to enlighten him on coaching techniques. I'm pretty sure if you ask him he will tell ya that Giles terminology and planning is FAR more advanced than anything he has ever been exposed to. Hickman & Rich will be lots of help to a new HC but he cannot teach his assistants and players at the same time. One of the main factors in Giles success was the assistants that arrived when Smith was replaced already were familiar with modern day offenses & defenses. The current Richland staff would be way behind the eight ball. :thumb:

The word is that Giles Co really liked Coach Hickman, so maybe he will go there and open up a spot for an assistant. But if he was truly "enlightened" then it would be a shame for him to not bring that enlightenment to Richland. As for Coach Rich, you will have a hard time finding someone that inspires his defense as much as he does. We had good defenses every year I played and it was because of that man. If not for injuries and Taylor's calls, the defense would have been good this past season also.

Any head coach can consider himself lucky to walk into a 1A school and have such good assistants already in place. Small schools don't have the money to create spots for coaches and shouldn't sacrifice good teachers for them either.

Maybe I am biased but Coach Hickman and Coach Rich put up with Taylor for too long to be kicked to the side of the road now. They are the only good thing about that program and you WILL lose the majority of the team if they are fired as coaches.

I agree with you rfb on not being kicked aside. That is not my thought process at all. They will be a asset to the incoming HC. However, the new HC will need at least 1 assistant that is already familiar with the system that he brings with him. At GCHS the assistants are also EXCELLENT teachers. We got 2 for one. Great coach & teacher. Our coach Hickman is doing a great job and will only get better. His brother was well received by the coaches and players and will become a excellent coach himself someday. You can't train the trainer on the job. HC has gotta have at least one already trained and experienced with his system. :thumb:

how does richland football look for the next year. How many kids were on the team last year? How many returning starters do they have coming back...did they graduate alot of seniors? What type of offense and defense did they run. Why are so many kids leaving richland and going to giles county and not the other way around? Can richland have a winning football team?

• 4 weeks later...

This is good news for Richland. Its time for them to move forward. Coach Massey arrives with a great resume and should inspire renewed intrest in their program. I hope a group of volunteers will ban together and provide support for Coach Massey. I'm not sure how many juniors Richland has but now is the time to look each other in the eye and work towards building something special. Good luck Radiers. :thumb:

This is good news for Richland. Its time for them to move forward. Coach Massey arrives with a great resume and should inspire renewed intrest in their program. I hope a group of volunteers will ban together and provide support for Coach Massey. I'm not sure how many juniors Richland has but now is the time to look each other in the eye and work towards building something special. Good luck Radiers. :thumb:

Congratulations to Coach Massey. Good luck in your new position. You've got a coach with many years of experience give him your support and you should be fine.